Default Spill-proof gas cans

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 14:09:32 GMT, wrote:

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 12:53:21 GMT,
(Richard
Casady) wrote:

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 06:46:56 -0400,
wrote:

The world of car and motorcycle racing uses vented "fast fill" plastic jugs.

Never saw any vented cans, at the sprint car races, just five gallon
square or round ones with a big opening. They sell them at the closest
auto parts store, which is not a racing shop. They don't need a vent.
The fill rate is determined by the pump on the methanol truck. They
empty fast enough. Of course most sprint car races are four miles
long, occasionally ten, and there is no such thing as a pit stop. That
is why they call them sprint cars.

Casady

Do agoogle search for

"plastic fuel jugs"

include the quote marks. You'll find a ton of VENTED fuel jugs as
described. You will NOT find these at any regular auto parts store as
they are illegal for general use. They are racing specific, and I
promise you they are vented.

Wrong on both counts. They came from a regular general purpose parts
store. and they are unvented. They have a real big opening and don't
need a vent to empty fast. The closest vendor of gas to where I live.
has racing gas, for about five bucks a gallon. There are lots of
racers around these parts.

Happens I have the sprint car and the unvented jugs. Close to five
gallons burned in a four mile race. Its a rolling start, [there is no
clutch], and that uses extra fuel.

Casady

cavelamb himself wrote:

:I'm kind of confused about that...

:WHY would a vengted can be illegal?

They're a substantial source of air polution. Really. Spilling an
ounce of gasoline while filling your lawnmower generates as much
unburned hydrocarbons as burning the fuel in the tank mowing the lawn.
Unburned hydrocarbons are a major contributor to smog.

"Ernest Scribbler" wrote in message
"numlock" wrote
inflatable outboard

I have got to get me one of those...

It works for me! You'll love it. I got mine at Wal-Mart--shelves full of
em.

numlock

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 21:47:05 GMT, wrote:

Take your meds. You seriously need them.

Nothing like a bit of ad hominem.
Casady

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 23:49:57 GMT, wrote:

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 22:51:12 GMT,
(Richard Casady)
wrote:

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 21:47:05 GMT,
wrote:

Yes, I own some unvented jugs as well. That's not what is under discussion.

Sure it is. Someone claimed that they somehow don't exist

Nobody claimed that unvented gas jugs don't exist. You really are a looney.

Of course someone did. Is your server eating some of the posts?

And I quote:

"You'll find a ton of VENTED fuel jugs as
described. You will NOT find these at any regular auto parts store as
they are illegal for general use. They are racing specific, and I
promise you they are vented."

There you have it My unvented jugs came from a general purpose parts
house. They look just like a giant bleach bottle, complete with the
handle. Three inch mouth.The illegal for general use bit is just BS.
Every racing jug I ever saw was unvented, but that was years ago.
Perhaps they are suddenly all different now, but somehow I doubt that.

Nobody gives a fig about your imaginary sprint car.

No reason they should, but it is hardly imaginary. I wouldn't own the
jugs if I didn't have the car.

Oh, the jugs are imaginary just like the sprint car. I'll bet your friend the 6
foot invisible rabbit doubles as your pit crew.

He does all the shoplifting for the team. Actually there is no pit
crew, I parked the cars in 96. Sport went nuts and introduced titanium
nuts and bolts.and crap like that, and costs got out of hand. I should
have sold all the stuff long ago, actually. Only raced one season.
At Knoxville Iowa, the sprint car capital of the world. The feature
paid a grand for the 360 class. Not enough to make any actual dough.

I might be wasting my time at this group. Too much misinformation.

Casady

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 07:03:37 -0400, wrote:

I have given the correct information for anyone who wishes to buy a
vented fuel jug.

I will continue to use what I have and will buy them where I got the
ones I have, the unvented ones. They sell them at the closest parts
house. I heard right on this group that there are some unsatisfactory
vented ones out there, and you, or anyone else. are welcome to
recommend them if you wish. We do have vented cans, from WalMart, for
the gas for the lawn mower. No problems of the kind reported by one
poster.

I notice your personal web site is just chock full of pictures of you and your
sprint car

I have no website. I simply have little interest. Maybe one would come
in handy at times, but it always seemed more trouble than It is worth.

I guess it's only natural that someone who constantly mentions "his
sprint car" at every opportunity, all over usenet,

How do you figure? That is simply a lie. I go whole months without
even thinking of the cars.

would have pages and pages of photos of this magnificent vehicle.

Why bother? It's just an ordinary sprinter. Throughly obsolete at this
point.

Wouldn't do anything for me if I did have the pix. I lost interest in
racing it more than a decade ago. Why do you care enough about my car
to carry on about it? A lack of interest I could understand, but I
only made a casual reference in passing. I was trying to discuss fuel
jugs.

As for fuel, I would like to know how to refuel my boat from a can.
The fill openings are on the outside of the boat, below the gunnels,
and very hard to reach from inside the boat.. You need a small crane
to support the jug. Fortunately, I mostly fill it at the gas station,
while the boat is on the trailer. As it is, I guess I could use a
strange and very long funnel.

Fuel / Oil Spill - is it normal ?? dobrygom General 3 May 30th 07 02:01 PM
More proof! Nellen MacArthur ASA 26 January 26th 07 06:15 AM
Delaware River Spill Armond Perretta Cruising 7 December 8th 04 02:55 AM
Spill cancels paddling race TB General 0 February 10th 04 03:22 AM
Proof Gerard Weatherby ASA 0 June 26th 03 02:02 AM