Default Key Biscayne Boating info

Hello.

Anybody got lots of experience boating in Key Biscayne?

New to boating and just starting to plan my first *real* trip out.
Still got some newbie questions in my head about navigation and these
waters.

I'd like head out from Matheson Hammock to Soldier Key.

1. Considering I'm just as close to Key Biscayne (the Island), should
I head out from there instead?
2. I noticed it get's real shallow around the Soldier Key. What
suggested route should I take and how close can I get? What times of
day/year can I expect it to be even more shallow?
3. Anywhere to moor around there? I've never actually moored yet.
Exactly how do you moor? what does the connector on a Moor even look
like? duh right?
4. How long can I expect it to take me from Matheson and how fast
should travel and when should I start slowing down?
5. What else should I look out for?

The below address has a picture of a map showin both points.

I will have depth finder and GPS on board.

http://207.69.19.31/soldierkey.jpg

If you'd like or can - feel free to copy, edit and paste back with
info to me or to any public web space.

Many thanks for any information or help!
Beverly Yelen

Hi!

Going to Soldier Key is very tricky. There is a uncharted channel (I think
that it is marked with sticks, but I am not sure). You might want to go to
Biscayne National Park instead. There is a good anchorage at Sand's Bight
at the north end of Sand's Key, or you can dock in Boca Chita. (There is a
National Park fee to dock overnight in Boca Chita, but day docking is free.)

When you leave the channel at Matheson Hammock, Biscayne bay is fairly deep,
but there are many shallows around Key Biscayne (check your chart).

You may find pertinent information at my web:
http://www.boating-on-florida-waterways.com/

I hope that this helps.

wrote in message
om...
[...]

Thanks Beverly - it does.

I went out in Matheson this morning, did not have much time so only
spent about two hours on the water. The marine forecast was 2-4 feet
seas and winds 10 knots with a light chop, but I can tell you this was
not the actual conditions, it felt like 6 foot seas and 15 - 20 knots
with moderate chop.

I've now gone out 3 times now (having tried out the other two parks
south of Matheson - Black point and Homestead), the boating conditions
felt much better on those other days, but Today was pretty much not
worth going out - my 18 footer was all over the place.

I was wondering, are conditions generally better during the Summer in
the Bay? When best? How many times a year would you say conditions are
ideal? how about absolutely smooth like glass - this very rare? Does
time of day matter? I was in at 7am and things seemed to be a little
better by 9am when I was leaving.

Thanks.