Default Ping Bruce in Bangkok

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 18:57:06 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 09:08:01 +1000, Herodotus
wrote:

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 18:56:08 +0700, wrote:

(Reading preferences snipped)

I've long been partial to Joseph Conrad for sea-related literature.
But like many others, I've drifted away from the appreciative and
thoughtful sensibilities good literature demands. Well, perhaps not
from the sensibilities, but at least from the time and effort needed
to tune them properly.
There are many reading works I promise myself to return to, and yet it
doesn't happen.
First on my list is Richard Henry Dana's "Two Years Before the Mast,"
which is easily read, and totally engrossing.
For now though, I'm settling for the adventures of Bruce,
Peter......and Wilbur.

--Vic

Two years before the mast was responsible for the US Government
passing laws to protect the merchant marine sailors from much of the
brutality they had been exposed to in the past.

He also wrote a book "White Jacket" or "The White Jacket" about a guy
who signs on a voyage from San francisco to New York and when he came
aboard they didn;t have any clothes to fit him out and one thing they
gave him was an 0old white jacket which wasn't much protection so
every scrap of cloth he found he sewed into the jacket so that by the
time they got into the Atlantic he had a rather warm, smart jacket,
albeit of many colored patches.

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)

I read quite a bit about the Yamato. Apparently the design had been in
the works for some years and two keels were laid down. One was the
Yamato and I believe the other was to have been an aircraft carrier
(but don't hold me to that). In any event the second hull was launched
and then sunk by torpedo while being hauled to whatever yard was going
to fit it out.

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)

As I was told, the two keels were laid for two Yamato class
battleships. It was later that one of the keels was built into an
aircraft carrier. you are right. It was sunk by torperdos.

Admiral Yamamoto was a hero of mine. Having spent some time travelling
across the US, he was opposed to going to war with America as he knew
that once awoken, they could mobilise a vast industrial resource that
would be no match for Japan's. When he was ordered to prepare plans
for war, he wanted a lightning attack on Pearl Harbour to destroy the
Pacific fleet in the hope of an armistice. It was the disobeying of
his orders for a second attack by his admiral in charge of the carrier
fleet that cost him his planned devastation. The same man also
disobeyed his orders at the Battle of Midway. He could not be removed
as he was appointed, not by Yamamoto, but by the Imperial Navy Board.
The same man disobeyed him many times later.

Peter

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 21:53:24 -0500, Brian Whatcott
wrote:

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 07:38:10 +1000, Herodotus
wrote:

Have you ever read D.H. Lawrence? In "The Sea and Sardinia" (I think
that is the title), one of his books about his travels through Italy
with his wife Frieda von Richthofen, he constantly refers to her as
"she", never by name. As an aside (my mind wanders off very easily),
whilst at Taormina in Sicily he wrote one of my favorite poems "The
Snake". It is very beautiful.

He later joined the RAF as an a/c two. Died in a motorbike crash.
Horribly mundane way to go for El Lawrence. of Arabia.

Yes, failed to make a corner riding a Rudge motorcycle. I used to be
reminded of this by a chap who owned what was apparently the only
Rudge in New England .

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)

On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 18:31:09 +0700, brucedpaige wrote:

Yes, failed to make a corner riding a Rudge motorcycle. I used to be
reminded of this by a chap who owned what was apparently the only Rudge
in New England .

http://www.broughsuperiorclub.com/pa...tel_brough.htm

On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 14:29:02 -0000, thunder
wrote:

On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 18:31:09 +0700, brucedpaige wrote:

Yes, failed to make a corner riding a Rudge motorcycle. I used to be
reminded of this by a chap who owned what was apparently the only Rudge
in New England .

http://www.broughsuperiorclub.com/pa...tel_brough.htm

Good Lord, that scoundrel lied to me for years. I'd have a word with
him about that except he died.

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)

:wrote:

:Have you ever read D.H. Lawrence? In "The Sea and Sardinia" (I think
:that is the title), one of his books about his travels through Italy
:with his wife Frieda von Richthofen, he constantly refers to her as
:"she", never by name. As an aside (my mind wanders off very easily),
:whilst at Taormina in Sicily he wrote one of my favorite poems "The
:Snake". It is very beautiful.

:He later joined the RAF as an a/c two. Died in a motorbike crash.
:Horribly mundane way to go for El Lawrence. of Arabia.

That's T.E. Lawrence, not D.H. Lawrence. Different people.

Not only right but RIGHT. Pillars of .... Aw shucks: time to shut
up!

:-)

Brian W

Bruce King Bart Senior ASA 1 February 24th 06 11:35 PM
Bruce Roberts GK Boat Building 21 December 13th 05 01:11 AM
PING: LONNY BRUCE Flying Tadpole ASA 1 March 15th 05 01:00 PM
Bruce King Bart Senior ASA 4 June 26th 04 03:43 AM
How about a Bruce Roberts design? Bob Whitaker Cruising 10 April 19th 04 03:41 PM