Default Off on a long one....

I'm off on Sunday to Darwin in the Northern Territory to join a Beneteau 41
and come back down the West Australian coast to my home of Bunbury.

This is the biggest trip I've ever done - should be about 4 weeks in all.
I've only done races, overnighters and two three-dayers before and all of
these were snug up in a marina at night. The skipper-on-delivery is a
Master Class 4 so he's commercially qualified and from all reports a top
bloke. There are a father and son combination and also the owner's son will
be joining in Darwin with me - I already know him and he's a fine young
chap. So, 5 in all for the first bit.

The easy bit is the top bit around WA's Kimberley region. We then lose one
or two crew in Exmouth (where the US naval base used to be) as they get off
to rejoin the workforce.

I think its going to get hard from about Shark Bay down, as we run into the
prevailing south-west fronts.

I've got pretty much everything organised - rods, reels, lures, earplugs
etc. Will be taking my normal prescription glasses for night time (I use
photochromatic in the day) and got my list of everything I think I'll need
all jammed into one bag.

I think I get something like 2800 miles signed off in my log book by the
time I return. Not sure of that yet.

Would appreciate any appropriate tips on a voyage of this nature.

Hoges in WA

"Hoges in WA" wrote in message

I'm off on Sunday to Darwin in the Northern Territory to join a Beneteau
41 and come back down the West Australian coast to my home of Bunbury.

This is the biggest trip I've ever done - should be about 4 weeks in all.
I've only done races, overnighters and two three-dayers before and all of
these were snug up in a marina at night.

I've got pretty much everything organised - rods, reels, lures, earplugs
etc. Will be taking my normal prescription glasses for night time (I use
photochromatic in the day) and got my list of everything I think I'll need
all jammed into one bag.

I think I get something like 2800 miles signed off in my log book by the
time I return. Not sure of that yet.

Would appreciate any appropriate tips on a voyage of this nature.

Hoges in WA

Take something for seasickness and also sunscreen and a good hat.

Peter HK

"Hoges in WA" wrote in message
[...]

As Peter said... also, I bring a bunch of snackbars and put them in pockets.
They're good for quick energy when you don't want to go below. Also, be sure
to stay hydrated, especially if you get seasick. I know it might sound
strange, but I also bring my electric cordless razor... makes me feel good
when I shave. :-) Sounds like a great trip! Take pictures!

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

On Tue, 7 Aug 2007 23:15:35 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

also, I bring a bunch of snackbars and put them in pockets.
They're good for quick energy when you don't want to go below.

I'll second that motion. I also like to bring one or two small
flashlights (hand torch), preferably with a red lens. The kind that
have an elastic strap that you can wear on your head like a miner's
light are particularly useful. Don't forget your rigging knife or
multi tool either.

wrote:

also, I bring a bunch of snackbars and put them in pockets.
They're good for quick energy when you don't want to go below.

I'll second that motion. I also like to bring one or two small
flashlights (hand torch), preferably with a red lens. The kind that
have an elastic strap that you can wear on your head like a miner's
light are particularly useful. Don't forget your rigging knife or
multi tool either.

Speaking of knives... I carry four (three if it's a nice day on the bay).
One is large, serrated, and I can open with one hand. One is small,
serrated, and I can open with one hand. One is part of a mini leatherman. If
it's a big wind day or I'm single-handing, I carry a fourth on a lanyard
around my neck. The knife is serrated, and has a marlin spike on it.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

On Wed, 8 Aug 2007 21:08:47 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

also, I bring a bunch of snackbars and put them in pockets.
They're good for quick energy when you don't want to go below.

I'll second that motion. I also like to bring one or two small
flashlights (hand torch), preferably with a red lens. The kind that
have an elastic strap that you can wear on your head like a miner's
light are particularly useful. Don't forget your rigging knife or
multi tool either.

Speaking of knives... I carry four (three if it's a nice day on the bay).
One is large, serrated, and I can open with one hand. One is small,
serrated, and I can open with one hand. One is part of a mini leatherman. If
it's a big wind day or I'm single-handing, I carry a fourth on a lanyard
around my neck. The knife is serrated, and has a marlin spike on it.

Expecting pirates? =:-)
Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)

"Peter HK" wrote in message
news

"Hoges in WA" wrote in message

[...]

Got the pills. Have never been seasick in my life but I'm a firm believer
in phrasing that as "I have not yet been seasick"
Got the sunscreen.
Will get the hat.
thnx

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
"Hoges in WA" wrote in message
[...]

I was planning on NOT shaving and scaring the beejeesus out of my wife when
I came back!
Actually, I've never had a beard in my life except for about a week's growth
when I was young so I was going to see if I could do it. Will take a razor
in case it gets unbearable.
Will remember the hydration factor.

wrote:

also, I bring a bunch of snackbars and put them in pockets.
They're good for quick energy when you don't want to go below.

I'll second that motion. I also like to bring one or two small
flashlights (hand torch), preferably with a red lens. The kind that
have an elastic strap that you can wear on your head like a miner's
light are particularly useful. Don't forget your rigging knife or
multi tool either.

Was looking for a red headlight in Mountain Designs the other day but they
had something that didn't quite fit the bill. I would have thought those
night-time trek racer people would all have them for checking maps but.. ??

wrote in message
On Wed, 8 Aug 2007 21:08:47 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

Just stupid one-liners... (pun intended) :-)

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

The long long beard Capt. Rob ASA 13 July 8th 06 07:44 AM
At sea too long? Bill McKee General 0 May 10th 05 05:53 AM
long vs. extra long shaft nortyler Cruising 7 August 28th 03 02:36 AM
Touring Kayaks on Rivers - How Long is Too Long Blankibr Touring 3 August 6th 03 04:34 PM
Dilemma; Extra long shaft to long shaft? Rural Knight General 7 August 3rd 03 04:40 AM