Default Through-hull question

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 01:35:52 GMT, Jere Lull wrote:

wrote:

Our gate valves were replaced by "marine" ball cocks 11 years ago. Much
later, I found out that the "better" Home Depot ball valves were identical.

Yes, those are the ones I've installed.

BUT there are more-proper "seacock" versions of the ball valves that
bolt to/through the hull that you'll only find at the chandlry.

I know, and if I was offshore, I wouldn't consider anything else. In
fact, I'd opt for strum boxes, a single seacock with valves to
elsewhere, and standpipes when feasible. Too many holes in the hull
equals too many potential problems, I think.

changed out our engine intake to one because it's not protected against
hard knocks, but the innards are identical to the ball valves: chromed
brass or copper ball in a brass body (I forget). Thus, we don't bond our
sea cocks.

Same here. Don't like the colour pink in a metal G

I don't lube our ball valves, but open and close them every time we
sail. After 10 seasons' use, none show any problems.

Same here. Aren't you in salt, though?

R.

On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 03:07:26 GMT, Jere Lull wrote:
.. At least we don't get zebra
mussels.

yeah...welcome to my world...They are mainly a hassle for freshwater
intakes and so on. Remarkably, at least on the superficial level, they
have "cleaned" up Lake Ontario's water remarkably in the sense that
they've sucked up so much biomass out of the water that the clarity of
the water off Toronto is now quite impressive.

I believe this has led to the rediscovery of several near-shore
wrecks, simply because you can see, on calm days, straight down
fifteen feet or so to the sandy bottom.

This was unheard of even 10 years ago around here. Of course, the
local minnows and other small fish are suffering from the dearth of
zooplankton. The accidental introduction of the the Caspian goby...a
particularly voracious little *******...hasn't helped.

So we are presented with a visibly cleaner lake bereft of important
native species: whether this is in sum good or bad remains to be seen.
Personally, I can now more easily locate the tools I drop over the
side at dock...that's about it for me.

[...]

Cathodic Protection for Aluminum Hull - Need Help Matt Lang General 9 July 25th 04 07:02 PM
Hull Waxing Question JG Wall General 6 June 29th 04 05:05 AM
Angle of prop shaft - theoretical question Shen44 General 12 June 14th 04 05:09 AM
Thru Hull Question Marc Boat Building 1 February 27th 04 05:47 PM
Narrow hull speed question Robert Haston Boat Building 5 September 15th 03 07:45 PM