Jean Dufour

Default BASIC Radio Question

Doug Dotson wrote:

But as many threads on this group, other aspects surface
during the course of the discussion.

Indeed, but I jumped back in because many people quoted me quite badly. Some
people looked like they couldn't read that I said VHF waves DO curve a bit. I
also found an informative link over the VHF range issue and shared this with
everyone! The 25 miles range I gave may have been underestimated, but it's
safer than overestimate it.

One such aspect is that
you will reach much farther with SSB but will there be anyone
there listening (ie CG).

Canadian CG listen to 2182 Khz. Maybe they'll give a call to USCG if they miss
somethin' in their jurisdiction! ;-) The bad thing here is they will hear your
distess call but they'll send an ol' Sea King chopper to the rescue. This might
be as life threatening as staying in the water! :-)))

Jean Dufour
Montreal, Qc