Bobsprit

Default BASIC Radio Question

Thanks for the info, guys. Much appreciated.

RB
Steven Shelikoff

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 11:29:19 -0500, Jean Dufour
wrote:

VHF waves work "line of sight". They may be slightly curved around the horizon but
they won't be much. So, whatever the power of the transmiter is, they won't reach
more than 25 miles before getting lost in space.

Well, not really. It all depends on antenna height. From the Jersey
shore, not only can I talk to the Cape May CG station, but also to
Baltimore and Chincoteague, Virginia. I have fairly reliable
communications with CG stations up to over 100 miles. Of course, I have
my VHF antenna at the top of my mast so a powerboat probably wouldn't
get as far.

Steve

Jere Lull

Bobsprit wrote:

I'm not clear on marine SSB radios. Can someone explain how they differ from
standard VHF? A friend is now offering me a pretty expensive Icom SSB. I doubt
I have a need for it, but it's basically free. I may just tell him to sell it
on ebay. I was thinking of adding a AM/SSB (CB) radio to the boat which would
be better than the GMRS.
So can someone explain what the marine SSB is? Is it VHF with upper and lowers?

The SSB is very similar to your CB SSB radio, though it's quite a step
up: closer to ham long distance radios, with CB-style simplicity. You
can talk long distance, get & send your email, get weather faxes and
other nice things for the cruising sailor. That's where you hear Herb &
some of the various cruising nets.

It's not so necessary for coastal cruisers, but it's a fun toy that you
might learn to love. I'd snap it up.

(Gosh, it's been a while since I used my SSB CB. People still use them?)

--
Jere Lull

doug dotson

I never figured out why CB SSB never caught on. I had one back in the 70's
and rarely found someone else to talk to.

Doug, k3qt
s/v Callista

"Jere Lull" wrote in message ...
Bobsprit wrote:

[...]

Larry W4CSC

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 15:58:44 -0500, "doug dotson"
wrote:

I never figured out why CB SSB never caught on. I had one back in the 70's
and rarely found someone else to talk to.

Doug, k3qt
s/v Callista

Were you on Channel 16? We had a dozen avid SSB fans on LSB channel
16. Some of them are still there! They've calmed down in their old
age, though. Noone's running 15KW PEP any more....(c;

My CB rig was a Collins KWM-2A and 30S-1 into stacked 3-elem Telrex
beams at 90'. Worked quite well, actually.....

73, "Porky Pig"

FCC said our signals were too clean to be CB rigs....(c;