Default Diesel electric

On Sat, 04 Aug 2007 07:43:54 GMT, Evan Gatehouse
wrote:

I LIKE
the redundancy of twin engines instead of a more complex
genset/motor/controller system

Absolutely, redundant is good, simple is good, unnecessary complexity
is not.

Trains and large ships have good engineering reasons for D/E, small
cruising boats do not. As an FYI, 60 ft *is* small.

On Sat, 04 Aug 2007 17:40:05 -0700, "
wrote:

The siren call of a relatively cheap technological fix
for the woes of small boat propulsion and power generation is
strong. But, caveat emptor.

On a small boat it makes a lot more sense to use technology by
installing a couple of large alternators, a good sized battery bank,
and a large sine wave inverter. That's what we've done on our boat
and it has greatly reduced generator run time and improved fuel
economy.

On Fri, 3 Aug 2007 17:39:13 +0200, "Marc" wrote:

I have the experience that
if you have any type of schedule (even allowing ample spare time) you just
need to motor from time to time.

Absolutely right.

You can reduce prop drag to almost zero by using a folding or
feathering prop.

http://www.gori-propeller.dk/

http://www.martec-props.com/

http://www.spw-gmbh.de/eng/index.html

http://www.flexofold.dk/

http://www.autoprop.com/

THANKS!

"Harbin Osteen" wrote in message
Some interesting reading on Diesel Electric:

Fischer Panda:
http://www.solarnavigator.net/fische...l_electric.htm

Nordhavn:
http://www.nordhavn.com/constr_con/diesel_electric.php4

FAST:
http://www.feys.org/System/our_system.htm

Cruising World:
http://www.cruisingworld.com/article...ID=396&catID=0

"Marc" wrote in message
I am building a 60 foot aluminum sailyacht and considering using diesel
electric propulsion with 2 identical diesel enigins of 70 - 100 hp. The
builder is not very experienced in ths field so I am doing some fieldwork
myself .

Anyone with experience in diesel eletric solutions in this size for
sailing yachts?

Cheers.

Marc