Default Best method to replace halyards?

I have halyards needing replaced, two of them go inside the mast. How do
you attach the new line to the old and thread them? Is there a best
direction to pull? Any other advice?

Thanks,

Stephen

"Stephen Trapani" wrote in message
I have halyards needing replaced, two of them go inside the mast. How do
you attach the new line to the old and thread them? Is there a best
direction to pull? Any other advice?

Thanks,

Stephen

I have taken a needle and thread from the sail repair kit and loosely sew
the ends of the old and new halyards together, end to end, and pull out the
old and thread in the new. Another way is to attach a light line to the
halyard as a messenger and pull it through as the old comes out. reverse the
process for the new halyard.

Leanne

On Jul 30, 3:42 pm, Stephen Trapani wrote:
I have halyards needing replaced, two of them go inside the mast. How do
you attach the new line to the old and thread them? Is there a best
direction to pull? Any other advice?...

I butt the ends together and sew them with a bit of whipping thread
and a sail needle and then wrap the connection with electrical tape to
make is smooth. If your new halyards have spliced shackles then you
need to send them up tail first, otherwise direction isn't all that
important.

-- Tom.

"Leanne" wrote in message
"Stephen Trapani" wrote in message
I have halyards needing replaced, two of them go inside the mast. How do
you attach the new line to the old and thread them? Is there a best
direction to pull? Any other advice?

Thanks,

Stephen

I have taken a needle and thread from the sail repair kit and loosely sew
the ends of the old and new halyards together, end to end, and pull out
the old and thread in the new. Another way is to attach a light line to
the halyard as a messenger and pull it through as the old comes out.
reverse the process for the new halyard.

Leanne

I've used the second method described quite successfully.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Stephen Trapani wrote:
I have halyards needing replaced, two of them go inside the mast. How do
you attach the new line to the old and thread them? Is there a best
direction to pull? Any other advice?

Thanks,

Stephen

Stephen,

I'm sure there are different ways to do this, but when I changed out my
halyard a week ago I just butted up the end of the new one to the end of
the old one, end to end, and used some wax whipping twine and a needle
to sew it all together. I then put a small amount of plastic tape around
the joint for a small amount of extra support. Then I just used the old
halyard to pull through the new one. Went through no problem and took
only a few minutes.

--Alan Gomes

On 2007-07-30 21:42:17 -0400, Stephen Trapani said:

I have halyards needing replaced, two of them go inside the mast. How
do you attach the new line to the old and thread them? Is there a best
direction to pull? Any other advice?

If they're all-rope, it's pretty easy: butt the old and new together:
lay two or three foot-long strips of electrical tape lengthwise across
the joint, then a spiral of tape overlapped 1/2 each turn starting from
the old (leading) edge, first running "forward" then back to the new
halyard. TEST the joint before hauling it aloft, of course. Make sure
that leading edge of tape will not catch on the sheaves. Neatness
counts as clearances can be tight.

I'd cut the old fittings off, including any splice, and pull from the
mast, particularly if you do the new splice at home -- no need to take
that time doing it on the boat when you could be sailing.

Wire/rope halyards are basically the same thing done twice: Once put a
light line through, the second time to pull the new wire with the light
line.

--
Jere Lull
Tanzer 28 #4 out of Tolchester, MD

Thanks everyone!

Stephen

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 11:33:08 -0400, Gogarty
wrote:

Send your grandson up the mast in a bosun's chair. Worked for me.

And lots of others. That's for when the halyard is totally missing
however.

Use some nylon fish line tied to 5 or 6 hex nuts or a lead sinker, and
have someone on top fish it down the mast until it drops all the way
down. Use a crochet needle or straightened fish hook to fish it back
out at the bottom.

The easiest is to just tape them together, worked fine for me.
The key is one thin layer of ape over two inches of each end, avoiding
a thick clump at the joint.
This won't stand excessive pull or ultra tight bends, but can be done
and undone in seconds.
If you use force, you will have both halyards out of the mask, and
have to find the bosuns chair.
If it does not go in smoothly, just pull it back and revert to the
sewing method.

On Jul 30, 6:42 pm, Stephen Trapani wrote:
I have halyards needing replaced, two of them go inside the mast. How do
you attach the new line to the old and thread them? Is there a best
direction to pull? Any other advice?

Thanks,

Stephen

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 18:42:17 -0700, Stephen Trapani
wrote:

I have halyards needing replaced, two of them go inside the mast. How do
you attach the new line to the old and thread them? Is there a best
direction to pull? Any other advice?

Thanks,

Stephen

You had plenty of sensible suggestions. One cable/rope pulling method
I didn't see mentioned is a sort of "Chinese Finger Trap" called a
pull sock.
This is a diagonal mesh tube, that shrinks on when pulled, providing a
slim profile strong grip attachment. Here's an example.

http://www.lsdinc.com/content/product_details/61

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

A new method of boat power? Short Wave Sportfishing General 1 June 19th 07 01:58 AM
Running halyards aft [email protected] General 0 August 28th 05 11:59 PM
Halyards Mundo ASA 2 February 1st 05 07:28 PM
Halyards Tim Cruising 4 August 25th 04 03:54 AM
Halyards Tim Boat Building 2 August 23rd 04 08:32 PM