Default On the Radio .. Business report. Marina's, etc complaining because ....

I am driving up the highway and the business report comes on...

"Sporting goods business's are reporting a big fall off .. "

Then the story; boats, it was about boats. Seems because of the cost of
operating [ motor boats, I'm assuming the story was more about motor boats ]
the boats are not leaving the docks. And when the boats don't go out the
marina's don't
sell gas, and all the etc's etc's..

The story went on to say that on any day the marina's have the feel, sound,
of a churchyard.

No one around, no activity.

Will someone tell the XXXX who are using us boaters as there ATM. Like the
towns along the coast.
The harbors, the local governments, the state governments.

In NH, to set a mooring the permit is about [ I might be off by a buck or
two ]
$250 per year. That is just the permit. For a mooring.

For the $250 per mooring the state does NOTHING. Absolutely NOTHING.

The money goes to the patrol guys who go around bothering people. The
harbor masters. The port authority.

There isn't even a true public dock in Portsmouth. Isn't that nuts?
Portsmouth, a city which takes great pride in being a
shipyard city. There is one very small dock near Prescott Park .. It is a
joke.

No public docks, no support for recreational boating. The river and the
current along and in the river can be problematic but
where does all the money go.

According to the NH Ports web site:
"The DPH is responsible for more than 1,500 moorings in 29 mooring fields."

At $250 per mooring per year... equal to = $375,000 and this is just
recreational moorings.. there is commercial shipping, fishing,

the shipping dock ..

So? Where and what is happening with all this money?

Say you are cruising up from Massachusetts .. you come to Portsmouth
harbor. Can you go up river and actually visit Portsmouth?

Not really. Along the river to your left is NH. No public docks or
moorings. On your right Maine and then the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard. As
you approach Portsmouth there is are some docks to the left. These are
commercial fishing. Then, there is Prescott Park. A couple of very small,
not easy to get to, tired looking docks. Up river beyond the lift bridge,
all condo's and restaurants on the left until the commercial shipping dock.
Nothing .. no place for recreational sailors. All the way to Dover Point,,
nothing.

What an example of government waste. Mooring permits = money for nothing.

Default On the Radio .. Business report. Marina's, etc complaining because .... Need more efficiency.

efficiency

"NE Sailboat" wrote in message news:cR6ni.14855$7R4.3693@trndny09...
I am driving up the highway and the business report comes on...

"Sporting goods business's are reporting a big fall off .. "

Then the story; boats, it was about boats. Seems because of the cost of
operating [ motor boats, I'm assuming the story was more about motor boats ]
the boats are not leaving the docks. And when the boats don't go out the marina's don't
sell gas, and all the etc's etc's..

The story went on to say that on any day the marina's have the feel, sound, of a churchyard.

No one around, no activity.

Snip....

I'm thinking that the future of powered boats may look like this:

http://foxxaero.homestead.com/indrad_029.html

I figure that something like a 40 footer with a turbo 3 cylinder (sailboat size), or a diesel electric
turning a slow, high aspic ratio counter rotating, variable pitch prop should get some great mileage.
It would not have the space of your standard trawler, but would be great for a couple exploring the coast, say
from Washington State to Alaska.
--

SeeYaa Harbin Osteen KG6URO

When American Citizens with dual citizenship pledges allegiance
to the flag, to which flag do they pledge allegiance too?

This is YOUR Futu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7WJeqxuOfQ
-

"NE Sailboat" wrote in

Will someone tell the XXXX who are using us boaters as there ATM.
Like the towns along the coast.
The harbors, the local governments, the state governments.

I've never figured out why stupid governments charge people for
"accomodations taxes", including dock rentals at public marinas. I want
every dock at City Marina to be free to all you rich yachties, including
free water/power/tv cable/showers/etc., JUST to attract you to MY city
and MY docks with all that money in your pockets! If I let you stay here
for 2 weeks FREE, you'll rent taxis/buses, spend money in all our fine
shops, paying exhorbitant sales taxes like the rest of us must, eating in
our restaurants causing MASSIVE EMPLOYMENT for MY people! Our shrimp
fleet will be working overtime to supply your demands for fresh seafood.
You'll be very greatful for the free dock and fill up those big tanks at
REASONABLE fuel prices....the same as the gas stations get...not
$3/gallon MORE than retail like the ripoff marina gets now. We'll sell
so MUCH fuel to you, at REASONABLE prices, the oil biz will florish. The
low fuel prices will compound our problems trying to keep the shops and
restaurants stocked because on EVERY trip, you'll be making a special
effort to "STOP AT CHARLESTON" for a week because we're so yachtie
friendly.

NOONE in their right mind passes the cheaper fuel dock, especially if you
can stay, say, 14 days for free, right?! How STUPID it is to try to get
what we can from you with exhorbitant dockage and fuel fees. Diesel fuel
delivered to City Marina costs EXACTLY what diesel fuel costs delivered
to Toogoodoo Farms in Hollywood....tax free diesel for their tractors.
Why the stupid ripoff? I wanna hear you begging for a free dock space
for the QE2! The MERCHANTS ALL PAY TAXES IF THEY MAKE MONEY!

Hell, we should have built city-owned Sheraton Resorts to house our
loaded tourists, not let multinational corps at them that don't KEEP
THEIR MONEY HERE. That's about what made Las Vegas RICH, wasn't it?

Larry

Not us. We rip 'em for 9.5% accomodation taxes even on a McDonald's
Greaseburger...even our own people!

STupid...really stupid.

Larry ,, could you repost in English. I can't quite figure out what you are
saying.

Yellow Man .. ooopsss... I mean who am I .. whatever.. in NH.

--
"NE Sailboat" wrote in

On 2007-07-17 19:42:56 -0400, "NE Sailboat" said:

Larry ,, could you repost in English. I can't quite figure out what you are
saying.

Yellow Man .. ooopsss... I mean who am I .. whatever.. in NH.

I'm not Larry, but Elizabeth City, NC has free docks and a few other
nice amenities such as the Rose Buddies, which has put the place on the
cruising map. We certainly stayed and spent a bit more than we did in
most towns down the ICW (alas, only to Beaufort, NC before having to
turn around to go back to work).

--
Jere Lull
Tanzer 28 #4 out of Tolchester, MD

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 04:44:44 GMT, Jere Lull wrote:

We certainly stayed and spent a bit more than we did in
most towns down the ICW (alas, only to Beaufort, NC before having to
turn around to go back to work).

Work is the curse of the sailing class.

Wayne.B wrote in
:

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 04:44:44 GMT, Jere Lull wrote:

We certainly stayed and spent a bit more than we did in
most towns down the ICW (alas, only to Beaufort, NC before having to
turn around to go back to work).

Work is the curse of the sailing class.

It was today and will be tomorrow. I had to go work on a few backed up
organs....instead of going to Flying Pig to watch Skip work in the hot
engine room....(c;

Larry
--
They still haven't seen much of Charleston, dispite my dragging them around
to look during our "parts excursion tours" to Waste Marine, Home Depot,

94 amps sure helps have a little overhead to run a few toys while the
beasts are charging at 75A for hours on end. Amazing what a new alternator
can accomplish over one 25 years old....but overhauled and jerry-rigged.

Joe Joe is offline

On Jul 17, 12:18 pm, "NE Sailboat" wrote:
I am driving up the highway and the business report comes on...

"Sporting goods business's are reporting a big fall off .. "

Then the story; boats, it was about boats. Seems because of the cost of
operating [ motor boats, I'm assuming the story was more about motor boats ]
the boats are not leaving the docks. And when the boats don't go out the
marina's don't
sell gas, and all the etc's etc's..

The story went on to say that on any day the marina's have the feel, sound,
of a churchyard.

No one around, no activity.

Here at my marina that seems to be the case. But 90% are go-fast
cigar boats in hanging slips. They use to be able to deal with
spending 1,100 dollars a weekend racing around the bay. At 3-4 grand
they spend most the time sitting at the dock watching TV.

I'd say in the last couple years the cigar boat use here has dropped
70% .

Sailboats are still strong in the area and use has not dropped...

Joe