Steve

Default Need some "waterproof" 12 v power connectors

I recommend you purchase some good marine connectors. Their a little more
expensive but certainly much more reliable for something that is "up the
mast"..

Get the kind that have a shrink sleeve over the outside. You just crimp them
on using a good crimping tool. Then you heat shrink the sleeve down onto the
finished connection.

The real good connectors have a adhesive inside that seals the job.

The moto here is "don't go on the cheap" with anything up the mast.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Michael Kelly

Steve wrote:

The real good connectors have a adhesive inside that seals the job.

Or pipe them full of RTV, then shrink them, open end first.

Michael Kelly

Steve wrote:

The real good connectors have a adhesive inside that seals the job.

Or pipe them full of RTV, then shrink them, open end first.

Terry Spragg

Steve wrote:

I recommend you purchase some good marine connectors. Their a little more
expensive but certainly much more reliable for something that is "up the
mast"..

Get the kind that have a shrink sleeve over the outside. You just crimp them
on using a good crimping tool. Then you heat shrink the sleeve down onto the
finished connection.

The real good connectors have a adhesive inside that seals the job.

The moto here is "don't go on the cheap" with anything up the mast.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

When I lower my mast, I unplug the automotive ball connectors at
the spreader and tabernacle so I can stow the rig compactly. I
haven't bothered with gobs of silicone grease in the rubber
boots, I sail in fresh mostly and simply disconnecting and
reconnecting them each year keeps them clean. The cabin overhead
connector is an empty shell, with only push connector wire ends
and a silicone rubber seal on the top of the mast tail shell
half. The connectors at the spreader are there so I could unplug
the spreader light assembly to lower or replace it easily if
riding the bosun. The spaced out connectors at the tabernacle
won't fit the bung all at once, and doing them staggered in
series keeps them organised. The wiring festoons the head
bulkhead join in plastic cable clamps with 2 screws each, one to
retain the mounting and one to release the wire bundle. The
connections to the mast can be seen belowdecks, and tested
easily. 5 years, no probs. The 'marine' plug connector fell
apart the first year.

Ewwww!

Terry K
--
Terry K - My email address is MY PROPERTY, and is protected by
copyright legislation. Permission to reproduce it is

Shore Power Parallax Cruising 5 October 15th 03 02:18 PM
help....power loss problems? Russell Hermansen General 3 September 24th 03 10:36 PM
*STILL* no power after Hurricane Isabel Butch Ammon General 2 September 23rd 03 08:35 AM