BoatBanter.com

-   -   Need some "waterproof" 12 v power connectors (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/8308-need-some-%22waterproof%22-12-v-power-connectors.html)

Earl Colby Pottinger January 2nd 04 10:25 PM

Need some "waterproof" 12 v power connectors

Rick :

Greg wrote:

As a guess, you have no direct experience using it? If so, tell about

what
you actually did?

Guessed wrong. 8-)

Worked with building, maintaining, and operating manned deep
submersibles to 2000 meters, plus ROV operations and surface marine
industry for over 30 years with a break to go airline flying for a few
years between seagoing endeavors. Am still sailing in the merchant
marine and teach propulsion and sometimes electrical classes at a
maritime academy.

We made up many of our own cables for submersible work and repaired
those that we had commercially built. When I spliced a DC power cable
that supplied my life-support system a mile underwater I did not even
consider using a silicone sealant anywhere on the splice.

The only place we would use those sealants was to seal rubber gaskets in
on devices that were not subject to more than minor pressure differentials.

First, I don't call the forces that get water into your wiring in a
submersible 'wicking' I call it pressure injection.

Second, a boater who has to worry about if his wiring will work 10,000 feet
down has other problems more important than some silly wires.

Earl Colby Pottinger

--
I make public email sent to me! Hydrogen Peroxide Rockets, OpenBeos,
SerialTransfer 3.0, RAMDISK, BoatBuilding, DIY TabletPC. What happened to

Rick January 4th 04 06:12 AM

Earl Colby Pottinger wrote:

Second, a boater who has to worry about if his wiring will work 10,000 feet
down has other problems more important than some silly wires.

If a splice fails it will usually fail on or near the surface. Water
just gets in faster and further at depth, the damage it does to the
system is the same so it is well worthwhile to make your splices good ones.

Rick