Default Islas de Todos Santos

I'm planning a trip to Ensenada, mostly to have some bottom work done on
my Catalina 30 at Baja Naval, but also to get in a little bit of sailing
with a few of my buddies. I'm wondering if any of you can comment as to
whether the Islas de Todos Santos might be worth seeing. (These islands
are roughly 8 miles west of Ensenada Harbor.) I'm toying with the idea
of stopping by there on the return trip.

I've looked up some stuff on the web and would read even more on it if
it looks viable, but I'd like to hear from someone who has actually been
there. Anything much to see? Any decent anchorage there?

Thanks,
Alan Gomes

"Alan Gomes" wrote in message
I'm planning a trip to Ensenada, mostly to have some bottom work done on
my Catalina 30 at Baja Naval, but also to get in a little bit of sailing
with a few of my buddies. I'm wondering if any of you can comment as to
whether the Islas de Todos Santos might be worth seeing. (These islands
are roughly 8 miles west of Ensenada Harbor.) I'm toying with the idea of
stopping by there on the return trip.

I've looked up some stuff on the web and would read even more on it if it
looks viable, but I'd like to hear from someone who has actually been
there. Anything much to see? Any decent anchorage there?

Thanks,
Alan Gomes

Haven't been there personally, but I'm told by people who have been there
it's mostly a fishing camp. Also it seems to be popular with surfers, at
least to the northwest side. No facilities.

I was last there in 1977, with a 41' sloop. There are two decent anchorages
on the inside of the main island. The southerly anchorage is narrow, sand
bottom, and would accommodate maybe a couple of cooperative boats. The one
just to the north, the ruins of a volcanic cone if I remember correctly, is
a nice deep anchorage with room for a number of boats.

You can anchor out a bit on one hook with good protection from the west, as
the fishermen do, or on bow and stern anchors in pretty close. Setting an
inside stern hook can be a bit of a problem because of the smooth rock
shelves on the bottom but there are sandy patches. The water is so clear
that you can easily snorkle over your anchors to see how well they're dug
in. On the north side of that bight, there's a small-boat passage to another
rocky bay from which you can get up onto the island.

If the wind is light, or from the west, the inside anchorages have
protection. In mild conditions the anchorage I described above is
delightful. If it's blowing from the south, it's like everywhere else on the
west coast. There are major sea mammal haulouts on the outside of the
island, and it would be practical to put down a hook out there during the
day, but I wouldn't think of staying on that side overnight. There might be
surfing - I kind of forget.

The seagulls nest up on the island, and they'll drive you crazy diving on
you if you land during nesting season. Take a stick or something to drive
them off. And the kelp flies can drive you nuts. Fortunately, they're slow
and stupid.

At the time we were there, there was an abandoned fishing camp on the
island, just a ramshackle hut. Who knows what it's like now, but the basic
form of the island can't have changed.

Tom Dacon
Yacht Bettina

"Alan Gomes" wrote in message
I'm planning a trip to Ensenada, mostly to have some bottom work done on
my Catalina 30 at Baja Naval, but also to get in a little bit of sailing
with a few of my buddies. I'm wondering if any of you can comment as to
whether the Islas de Todos Santos might be worth seeing. (These islands
are roughly 8 miles west of Ensenada Harbor.) I'm toying with the idea of
stopping by there on the return trip.

I've looked up some stuff on the web and would read even more on it if it
looks viable, but I'd like to hear from someone who has actually been
there. Anything much to see? Any decent anchorage there?

Thanks,
Alan Gomes

Answers -
1. we kept our boat in Cruiseport in Ensenada for several years as we
could't stand LA/OC anymore - left there in 2005. Todos Santos is not
prime cruising territory for neophytes. Go play at Catalina. There are
2 poor anchorages in the lee of the higher island - 1 is full of
mariculture cages, (unlike 1977), the other is small and bad holding.
There's a steel ring for bow tying and drop a stern anchor in the
rocks and hope it holds. Stay away from the low island (the one with
the light) - it's a well known surfer site - not a good anchorage. The
"boat passage" is for dingies - keep your boat in deep water.
2. I don't know what "some bottom work" is - but Bajal Naval is well
known to underquote, over-do and overcharge. Do not leave your boat
and go away for a few days. You to will get screwed. You have to be
there every day and double check the worker's names and their hours
that are charged to you. Eg. a friend had his bottom painted and a new
boot stripe - they charged his for the paper and tape to mask the
bootstripe by the ft - charged him for 5,000 ft - not the 50.00 ft
that they used - Oh - oops - a small decimal point issue. Go down a
few days early and check out the situation on the morning cruiser's
VHF net - I forget the channel and time - ask around. One other point
- don't break down south of the border and get towed. A friend got
towed 40 miles back to SD and it cost US$1800 - in 2004. yeh - 1800.

Another comment - think again about what you're doing in Mexico. If
you have a problem with the yard - there is no easy solution - no
lawyer letters - no Better Business Bureau - you pay the yard bill in
full BEFORE it splashes - then you get to ask for explanations and
money back. They have basically no liability insurance - they drop
your boat - you discuss it. They overspray your boat - you discuss it.
They **** you on the bill - you pay it.

Now - don't get me wrong - I love Mexico - have cruised here for years
and we're building a house here in the Sea - just watch out and don't
expect a cheap ride.

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 15:16:49 -0700, Alan Gomes wrote:

I'm planning a trip to Ensenada, mostly to have some bottom work done on
my Catalina 30 at Baja Naval, but also to get in a little bit of sailing
with a few of my buddies. I'm wondering if any of you can comment as to
whether the Islas de Todos Santos might be worth seeing. (These islands
are roughly 8 miles west of Ensenada Harbor.) I'm toying with the idea
of stopping by there on the return trip.

I've looked up some stuff on the web and would read even more on it if
it looks viable, but I'd like to hear from someone who has actually been
there. Anything much to see? Any decent anchorage there?

Thanks,
Alan Gomes

Comments interspersed. --AG

wrote:
Answers -
1. we kept our boat in Cruiseport in Ensenada for several years as we
could't stand LA/OC anymore - left there in 2005. Todos Santos is not
prime cruising territory for neophytes.

I'm not a neophyte. Was just asking for some first-hand knowledge, in
addition to what the cruising guides say.

Go play at Catalina.

I have for 40 yrs. But thanks for the helpful tip.

There are
2 poor anchorages in the lee of the higher island - 1 is full of
mariculture cages, (unlike 1977), the other is small and bad holding.
There's a steel ring for bow tying and drop a stern anchor in the
rocks and hope it holds. Stay away from the low island (the one with
the light) - it's a well known surfer site - not a good anchorage. The
"boat passage" is for dingies - keep your boat in deep water.

Thanks for the above info. This is what I wanted to know, and does
correlate with some other stuff I've read. I am inclined to skip these
islands, and your description is helpful in making that decision.

2. I don't know what "some bottom work" is

Sand the bottom, mask the waterline, and paint it with bottom paint. If
I like the work I may come back in a few years and have them renew my
barrier coat.

- but Bajal Naval is well
known to underquote, over-do and overcharge. Do not leave your boat
and go away for a few days.

Don't plan to.

You to will get screwed.

Not the reported experience of others who have had work done at this
yard, but I appreciate your cautions and will take them under advisement.

You have to be
there every day and double check the worker's names and their hours
that are charged to you. Eg. a friend had his bottom painted and a new
boot stripe - they charged his for the paper and tape to mask the
bootstripe by the ft - charged him for 5,000 ft - not the 50.00 ft
that they used - Oh - oops - a small decimal point issue.

I have a written quote for the exact work I want done, including
materials (including paint, masking, etc.). I'll be standing there the
whole time to make sure they don't do anything beyond this.

Go down a
few days early and check out the situation on the morning cruiser's
VHF net - I forget the channel and time - ask around.

One other point
- don't break down south of the border and get towed. A friend got
towed 40 miles back to SD and it cost US$1800 - in 2004. yeh - 1800.

Too bad for your friend. I'm insured for this.

Another comment - think again about what you're doing in Mexico. If
you have a problem with the yard - there is no easy solution - no
lawyer letters - no Better Business Bureau - you pay the yard bill in
full BEFORE it splashes - then you get to ask for explanations and
money back.

None of the yards out here will splash you boat unless you pay the bill
in full.

They have basically no liability insurance

I'll be carrying my own.

- they drop
your boat - you discuss it. They overspray your boat - you discuss it.
They **** you on the bill - you pay it.

If they damage my boat my own insurance covers this (provided I don't go
south of Punta Banda). I'll have separate Mexican liability coverage for
personal liability.

Now - don't get me wrong - I love Mexico

Sounds like it.

Thanks for pointing out these issues of concern. I appreciate it.

--Alan Gomes

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 15:16:49 -0700, Alan Gomes wrote:

I'm planning a trip to Ensenada, mostly to have some bottom work done on
my Catalina 30 at Baja Naval, but also to get in a little bit of sailing
with a few of my buddies. I'm wondering if any of you can comment as to
whether the Islas de Todos Santos might be worth seeing. (These islands
are roughly 8 miles west of Ensenada Harbor.) I'm toying with the idea
of stopping by there on the return trip.

I've looked up some stuff on the web and would read even more on it if
it looks viable, but I'd like to hear from someone who has actually been
there. Anything much to see? Any decent anchorage there?

Thanks,
Alan Gomes

Well Alan, I'm glad you got all the info you need. However, laws and
deals south of the border aren't quite the same.

You have every right to pay your money and take your chances. We saw a
guy in NZ a few years ago when we were there - he spent 18 months
trying to get his boat fixed after the yard put it in the water before
he was ready - it sunk.

I'm sorry you were possibly annoyed by the neophyte reference - most
people with Catalina 30's in So Cal tend to be.

My advice is to not take your boat down there - you have 1 day of work
to do. Haul it locally or in Ventura, etc and spend the time extra
sailing out to San Miguel and down to San Nicholas and back. They're
very different from your 40 years at Catalina.

How many Baja stories will it take to convince you? Years ago the
yard was owned by Senor X - I forget his name. He was very rich (muy
rico) and had a very good reputation of treating cruisers and US boat
owners very well. 3 years ago he left the yard to his 2 sons - don't
remember their names either. They aren't rich but figured they could
be by gouging yachtees - and they do. Go ahead - let us know how it
works out.

On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 11:16:51 -0700, Alan Gomes wrote:

Comments interspersed. --AG

wrote:
[...]

My, you seem to have quite a few very unlucky friends. My condolences to
them.

I agree that the Channel Islands are great sailing and I've enjoyed my
numerous trips to them over the years.

Many thanks again for your description of the anchorage at Todos Santos.
I found this bit of info most helpful and do appreciate your taking the
time to write it.

Cheers,
Alan

wrote:
[...]

Alan, our interlocutor, while rather dyspeptic, DID say one thing I can
support whoeheartedly. I kept my boat in Ventura Harbor for twenty-four
years before bringing it up here to Port Townsend where I now live. I can
recommend Ventura Harbor Boatyard very highly. I've had a lot of work done
there over the years on my fifty-year-old wooden sloop, and all of it has
been first-class. It's employee-owned by a nice bunch of guys who are expert
at their business. Rates are competitive but not unreasonable. And when
you're back in the water, the northern Channel Islands are a day's sail
away. If it's not too late to change your plans, I don't think you'd regret
it.

Tom Dacon
s/v Bettina

wrote:
[...]

wrote:

Comments interspersed. --AG

tom,Tom Dacon wrote:
Alan, our interlocutor, while rather dyspeptic, DID say one thing I can
support whoeheartedly. I kept my boat in Ventura Harbor for twenty-four
years before bringing it up here to Port Townsend where I now live. I can
recommend Ventura Harbor Boatyard very highly. I've had a lot of work done
there over the years on my fifty-year-old wooden sloop, and all of it has
been first-class. It's employee-owned by a nice bunch of guys who are expert
at their business. Rates are competitive but not unreasonable. And when
you're back in the water, the northern Channel Islands are a day's sail
away. If it's not too late to change your plans, I don't think you'd regret
it.

Tom Dacon
s/v Bettina

Tom,

Thanks much for the feedback.

If you check around you'll find that the Baja Naval yard has a good
reputation (including even within the last 3 years--after which,
according to our "dyspeptic interlocutor," it purportedly went to pot).
Conversely, there are some pretty bad horror stories one can find out
there about some of the So. Calif. yards (e.g., when a yard by where I
used to keep my boat dropped a Newport 27 on the concrete). Stuff
happens. In any case, I always try to weigh advice, and grant it (or
whatever portion of it I can) the credence it deserves.

My trip to Ensenada, by the way, is not *merely* for the bottom work but
it's a trip I've been wanting to do for some time with a few of my
friends. (I'm going to have the bottom work done while I'm at it.) The
description of Todos Santos I received from you and a few others was
useful, corroborating as it does some material from other sources. (And
that was, after all, what I was soliciting--and not all the other stuff
about towing costs from Ensenada to SD, whether Catalina is a swell
place to sail, etc.). Anyway, based on this info I'm figuring on
skipping Todos Santos altogether, or perhaps I'll just sail close enough
to take a look but won't figure on making it a stop over. The islands
just don't seem attractive enough to outweigh the negatives. (I guess
they are sought after by surfers and perhaps divers, but I don't do
either.) And thank you again for your input on my original question.

Ventura--I will remember your endorsement of the Ventura Harbor
Boatyard. (In fact, I have cut and pasted your e-mail into my "boat
notes" file, where I save such info.) It could make good sense to do a
haul out there if I were wanting to do another Channel Islands trip some
summer--which I'm sure I will in the next few years. I have done the
Channel Islands quite a few times but have not been into Ventura Harbor,
always opting for Oxnard or Santa Barbara instead. In the other
direction I also did a haul out at South Bay Boatyard in Chula Vista,
and my experience with them was decent. So there are some good yards
around, but I appreciate your testimony about Ventura specifically.

Regards,
Alan