Tom Berger

Default Australia wimps out in rugby - loses to England - so much for Aussie power

"John Smith" schrieb:

Where else in the world other than Australia can you drink a good red for
less than $5 a bottle?

Here in Germany they are selling a really drinkable Cabernet Sauvignon
from Chile for 1.59 Euro, a good Australian Shiraz/Cabernet for 2.29
and an Australian Shiraz for 3.29. A Bordeaux of comparable quality is
not available under 10 Euros. But then: they do not sell Australian,
Chilean or South African wines here that can compete with Bordeauxs in
the 20 Euro class.

I like South African wines too and regard them equal to good
Australian or chilean wines, but they are much higher priced here for
the same quality.

Cheers
Tom Berger

--
ArchTools: Architektur-Werkzeuge für AutoCAD (TM)
ArchDIM - architekturgerechte Bemaßung und Höhenkoten
John Griffiths

"Panama" wrote in message
They don't make good beer either.

Shows how much you know about rugby and beer i.e. **** all

John (a pom)

John Griffiths

"Panama" wrote in message
They don't make good beer either.

Shows how much you know about rugby and beer i.e. **** all

John (a pom)

Robert Larder

Can you still get Tassies?

Bob
Andre Venter wrote:
"John Smith" wrote in message
news
Where else in the world other than Australia can you drink a good
red for less than $5 a bottle? - easy, South Africa, anyday.
"Andre Venter" wrote in message
news

"Tom Berger" wrote in message
Panama schrieb:

They don't make good beer either.

... but really good red wine :-)

Cheers
Tom Berger

--
ArchTools: Architektur-Werkzeuge für AutoCAD (TM)
ArchDIM - architekturgerechte Bemaßung und Höhenkoten
ArchAREA - Flächenermittlung und Raumbuch nach DIN 277
Info und Demo unter http://www.archtools.de
Nowhere near as good as the South African reds from Nederberg or
many others.

Michael Kelly

John Smith wrote:

Where else in the world other than Australia can you drink a good red for
less than $5 a bottle?

California?

Trader Joe's has "Robert Shaw" merlot for US$2.99. In my opnion, if a
Californian pays more than the "Minimum Wage" ($6.50) for a bottle of
wine, he is getting taken. There is plenty of good $4 wine in
California. But then you have my blessings to pay upwards of $24 if you
think that's necessary. I go by the state fair awards posted on the
supermarket shelf.

According to this guy http://www.billybubbles.demon.co.uk/. The French
pay one euro per litre for decent red wine, in a take your own empty
bottles fashion. He buys wine from the coal merchants, who sell
straight out of the barrel.

My wife selects wine based on the pretty label on the bottle. I
scoffed at her approach, until I realized it had some merit. My theory
on why her methon works is that a wine maker who creates a stern and
traditional label on a bottle, probably creates a stern and traditional
wine. However a maker who creates a very pretty label, probably creates
a very pretty wine.

Cardinal Bill

Michael Kelly wrote:

My wife selects wine based on the pretty label on the bottle. I
scoffed at her approach, until I realized it had some merit. My
theory on why her methon works is that a wine maker who creates a
stern and traditional label on a bottle, probably creates a stern and
traditional wine. However a maker who creates a very pretty label,
probably creates a very pretty wine.

Wine Appreciation Tip: The quality of a wine is inversely proportional
to the
viciousness of the animal depicted on the label.
Jim Weller

--
The future not being born, my friend, we will abstain from baptizing it.
-- George Meredith

Michael Kelly

Cardinal Bill wrote:

Wine Appreciation Tip: The quality of a wine is inversely proportional
to the viciousness of the animal depicted on the label.
Jim Weller

I'm with you on that page, I've poured out some pretty vicious wines.