Default Strider's June Cruise

We've just returned from a one week cruise downeast in STRIDER. Great trip.
You can see our cruise track by clicking he

http://home.maine.rr.com/rlma/07JuneCruise.htm

You can see that we really covered the ground. No fog but lots of haze
downeast so we often saw little farther than necessary for easy navigation
and had to content ourselves with close in views of the shorelines. We had
some great winds and booming reaches which helps account for some of the
long tracks.

The self steering and autopilot really help make this kind of cruise
possible.

There will be pictures soon so check back.

--
Roger Long

On Sun, 1 Jul 2007 18:14:49 -0400, "Roger Long"
wrote:

We've just returned from a one week cruise downeast in STRIDER. Great trip.
You can see our cruise track by clicking he

http://home.maine.rr.com/rlma/07JuneCruise.htm

You can see that we really covered the ground. No fog but lots of haze
downeast so we often saw little farther than necessary for easy navigation
and had to content ourselves with close in views of the shorelines. We had
some great winds and booming reaches which helps account for some of the
long tracks.

The self steering and autopilot really help make this kind of cruise
possible.

That is a *lot* of cruising for 7 days on a mid-sized sail boat. Looks
like you got out near Roque Island at one point - did you have time to
stop in and enjoy the harbor there? Roque Island was one of the high
points of our Maine cruise two years ago.

We just arrived in Connecticut after 1500 miles of hard running over
the last 14 days from SW FL. Most things went well and we did get in
some sight seeing along the way to a few new places. The ICW both
north and south of Sanannah, Georgia was particularly impressive. We
also ducked in off the ocean at Southport, NC for a quick run behind
Cape Fear before exiting at Masonboro Inlet, NC, and spent a night
anchored behind Barnegat Inlet, NJ which I'd never attempted before.
It does make a convenient stopping off place between Cape May and NY
harbor.

Thanks to our new satellite TV system we were able to enjoy your
latest Titanic episode while on board.

We were a day away from Roque. Our Saturday start was delayed until 3:30
by the dogsitter. If we'd gotten off in the morning with the wind that day,
we would have made Vinalhaven on the first day and probably gotten to Roque.
Next time, I'll make a straight run for Schoodic Point and we'll start
cruising from there.

If you haven't been to Castine yet, make it a must stop this year. If you
are a history buff or like old houses, it is one of the most interesting
towns in Maine.

--
Roger Long

On Mon, 2 Jul 2007 20:48:49 -0400, "Roger Long"
wrote:

If you haven't been to Castine yet, make it a must stop this year. If you
are a history buff or like old houses, it is one of the most interesting
towns in Maine.

I was there once on a "car cruise" about ten years ago, and yes, it is
an interesting place. We had a good dinner at what I think was called
the "Castine Inn" or something like that - just up the street a few
blocks from the waterfront.