BoatBanter.com

-   -   Pround Mac26X owner again (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/82133-pround-mac26x-owner-again.html)

Ed Gordon July 1st 07 09:21 PM

Pround Mac26X owner again

Well, I did it. I'm now the proud re-owner of a Mac 26X and a fine one
she is if I must say so myself. I got her at a real bargain basement
price, yes siree! Before I launch her for the first time I've got a
couple things I want to do. First is to rename her. I don't like the
present name at all.

I'm torn between a couple of different names.

1) Symbiosis (comment on how well sail and power are built into one
boat)
2) Sea's Son (double entendre)
3) Sensibility (descriptive)
4) Plaid Power (rather Scottish a compliment on MacGregor, I guess he's
Scottish)

What one do you think is best?

Cheers,
Ed Gordon

Horvath July 2nd 07 12:10 AM

Pround Mac26X owner again

On Sun, 1 Jul 2007 16:21:52 -0400, "Ed Gordon"
wrote this crap:

Well, I did it. I'm now the proud re-owner of a Mac 26X and a fine one
she is if I must say so myself. I got her at a real bargain basement
price, yes siree! Before I launch her for the first time I've got a
couple things I want to do. First is to rename her. I don't like the
present name at all.

I'm torn between a couple of different names.

What one do you think is best?

Cheers,
Ed Gordon

The Dumpster. The ****can. The Toilet.

I could put a sail and a motor on a dumpster and have a boat that
would outsail and out motor you.

This post is 100% free of steroids

Brian Whatcott July 2nd 07 01:11 AM

Pround Mac26X owner again

wrote:

Well, I did it. I'm now the proud re-owner of a Mac 26X and a fine one
she is if I must say so myself. I got her at a real bargain basement
price, yes siree! Before I launch her for the first time I've got a
couple things I want to do. First is to rename her. I don't like the
present name at all.

I'm torn between a couple of different names.

1) Symbiosis (comment on how well sail and power are built into one
boat)
2) Sea's Son (double entendre)
3) Sensibility (descriptive)
4) Plaid Power (rather Scottish a compliment on MacGregor, I guess he's
Scottish)

What one do you think is best?

Cheers,
Ed Gordon

A name that's not identifiably female on a sailing vessel?
I don't think so!

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

Dan Best July 2nd 07 04:00 PM

Pround Mac26X owner again

Horvath wrote:
The Dumpster. The ****can. The Toilet.

Ed,

Ignore the negative hyperbole some will attack you with. The Mac serves
it's niche well but some can't understand that just because a boat isn't
a good fit for them, it can be a great boat for someone else.

That being said, if you'll permit, I'll offer a bit of advice.

Take baby steps.

Extend your range and the conditions you expose yourself too just a
little bit at a time. Before long, you'll be amazed at what you are doing.

I've owned a variety of boats over the years, including a Mac (though
not the 26X). The Mac really isn't all boats to all people. There are
things it is just not designed or constructed to do. For instance, just
because it may be possible to cross an ocean with the Mac, doesn't mean
that it's a good idea. You can, however have a heck of a lot of fun
with it.

Dan Best
S/V Tricia Jean, Tayana 37 #192

cavelamb himself July 2nd 07 05:44 PM

Pround Mac26X owner again

A good read - even if it's not your first boat...

http://www.sailingusa.info/First_500_miles.htm

David Martel July 3rd 07 12:19 AM

Pround Mac26X owner again

1) Symbiosis (comment on how well sail and power are built into one boat)
2) Sea's Son (double entendre)
3) Sensibility (descriptive)
4) Plaid Power (rather Scottish a compliment on MacGregor, I guess he's
Scottish)

MacGregor lives in California, I suspect he's American not Scottish.

Dave M.

Ringmaster July 3rd 07 06:39 AM

Pround Mac26X owner again

I got her at a real bargain basement price, yes siree!

That sort of says it all.

Wayne.B July 3rd 07 06:31 PM

Pround Mac26X owner again

wrote:

First is to rename her. I don't like the
present name at all.

Yes, that will make her substantially more sea worthy. We spent a
couple of gnarly days going north in the gulf stream a few weeks ago.
You'll be right at home out there with a new name on the boat. Let
me suggest a couple:

"Holy sh*t"

"Sinking Sensation"

"Wok'n'roll"

"This End Up"

"Leaky Tiki"

Ed Gordon July 5th 07 01:59 PM

Pround Mac26X owner again

wrote:

First is to rename her. I don't like the
present name at all.

Yes, that will make her substantially more sea worthy. We spent a
couple of gnarly days going north in the gulf stream a few weeks ago.
You'll be right at home out there with a new name on the boat. Let
me suggest a couple:

"Holy sh*t"

"Sinking Sensation"

"Wok'n'roll"

"This End Up"

"Leaky Tiki"

Thanks but no thanks. Those names are stupid sounding. I've got it down
to between "Sensibility" or "Symbiosis". People who give a boat a joke
name end up being a joke themselves. I want my boat to have a respectful
name. I think either of these two names fit a Mac26X and show respect
too.

I just wrote a post that smacked down Bobsprit. Ever notice the stupid
sounding names he puts on his boats? Circus side show stuff. Stuff that
don't make a lick of sense. Stuff that if he had to say it on the VHF to
get pulled off when he ran aground that would embarrass him to death.
Well, maybe not him but somebody with a brain for sure would be
embarrassed all the way.

Cheers,
Ed Gordon

Ed Gordon July 5th 07 02:06 PM

Pround Mac26X owner again

"Dan Best" wrote in message
Horvath wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the sensible advice, sir. It's not easy to find around here
with all the jackasses running their mouths. Anyway, I'm an experienced
Mac26X sailor. Used to own and sail one about ten years ago. They have
their good points and a few minor bad points that can be fixed up. You
could cross an ocean in a pinch if you had to but they ain't made for
that. They're made for shorter trips and week-ending. They're them most
versatile boat made. Mass production boat at any rate.

Cheers,
Ed Gordon

Ed Gordon July 5th 07 02:11 PM

Pround Mac26X owner again

wrote:

[...]

Female names are for ships of the line like in the old English wooden
navy days.

Everybody knows a Mac26X is not a female. People who sail Mac's don't
usually give them girly names. Mac's need practical names that describe
how they are or what they can do. That's why I'm leaning towards calling
mine "Sensibility" or "Symbiosis".

Girl's names are better for the traditional boats that have the old
fashioned sheer lines and the wine glass transom shape. They look like
they have a rounded female shape. A Mac26X has a shape more like a man.
Like a body builder. Angular and square and powerful lines is what a
Mac26X is all about.

Cheers,
Ed Gordon

Dan Best July 5th 07 03:55 PM

Pround Mac26X owner again

Ed Gordon wrote:
People who give a boat a joke
name end up being a joke themselves.

Ed,
Don't be too quick to condemn such names. Our two previous boats were
named "Clueless" (MacGregor 25) and "Still Clueless" (Catalina 30) and
they worked very well for us. The names not only kept us from taking
ourselves too seriously, but it seemed as though other boats gave us a
little slack when we did something stupid.

We had always envisioned naming the big boat when we finally got her
"Tre Clueless", but when push came to shove, it was just too classy a
boat to hang such a moniker on.

Dan Best
"Tricia Jean", Tayana 37 #192

Edgar July 5th 07 04:34 PM

Pround Mac26X owner again

"Ed Gordon" wrote in message
Female names are for ships of the line like in the old English wooden
navy days.

Yes, right. You mean names like 'Indomitable', 'Victory', 'Invincible',
'Nonsuch', 'Terror', 'Formidable' and suchlike I assume. Women like that
would scare the hell out of me.

KLC Lewis July 5th 07 05:22 PM

Pround Mac26X owner again

"Edgar" wrote in message

"Ed Gordon" wrote in message
Female names are for ships of the line like in the old English wooden
navy days.

Yes, right. You mean names like 'Indomitable', 'Victory', 'Invincible',
'Nonsuch', 'Terror', 'Formidable' and suchlike I assume. Women like that
would scare the hell out of me.

Good to know that you know your place in the grand scheme of things.

"Formidable Karin"

:-D

Steve Thrasher July 5th 07 09:26 PM

Pround Mac26X owner again

Edgar wrote:
Yes, right. You mean names like 'Indomitable', 'Victory', 'Invincible',
'Nonsuch', 'Terror', 'Formidable' and suchlike I assume. Women like that
would scare the hell out of me.

You missed the ever popular "Dreadnought".

Capt. Lewry July 5th 07 11:38 PM

Pround Mac26X owner again

"Steve Thrasher" wrote in message
Edgar wrote:
Yes, right. You mean names like 'Indomitable', 'Victory', 'Invincible',
'Nonsuch', 'Terror', 'Formidable' and suchlike I assume. Women like that
would scare the hell out of me.

You missed the ever popular "Dreadnought".

"Dreadnought"is a generic term for large war ships, not a name.

Frank July 5th 07 11:53 PM

Pround Mac26X owner again

Edgar wrote:
Yes, right. You mean names like 'Indomitable', 'Victory', 'Invincible',
'Nonsuch', 'Terror', 'Formidable' and suchlike I assume. Women like that
would scare the hell out of me.

You missed the ever popular "Dreadnought".

"Dreadnought"is a generic term for large war ships, not a name.

No kidding? What a shock. I must've opened the wrong Schrodinger box
and now I'm in a different quantum. Where I come from:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Dreadnought_(1906)

Steve Thrasher July 6th 07 01:13 AM

Pround Mac26X owner again

http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/s...-d/drednt9.htm

Wayne.B July 6th 07 03:02 AM

Pround Mac26X owner again

On Thu, 5 Jul 2007 08:59:33 -0400, "Ed Gordon"
wrote:

Thanks but no thanks. Those names are stupid sounding.

Sorry, I was trying to think of "descriptive" names for a small boat
not built for blue water sailing but out there anyway.

Wayne.B July 6th 07 02:28 PM

Pround Mac26X owner again

On Thu, 5 Jul 2007 21:04:03 -0500, "KLC Lewis"
wrote:

Sorry, I was trying to think of "descriptive" names for a small boat
not built for blue water sailing but out there anyway.

"Miss Tayke"

Heh, good one.

Bob July 7th 07 08:06 AM

Pround Mac26X owner again

On Jul 1, 1:21 pm, "Ed Gordon" wrote:
Well, I did it. I'm now the proud re-owner of a Mac 26X and a fine one
she is if I must say so myself. I got her at a real bargain basement
price, yes siree! Before I launch her for the first time I've got a
couple things I want to do. First is to rename her. I don't like the
present name at all.

I'm torn between a couple of different names.

1) Symbiosis (comment on how well sail and power are built into one
boat)
2) Sea's Son (double entendre)
3) Sensibility (descriptive)
4) Plaid Power (rather Scottish a compliment on MacGregor, I guess he's
Scottish)

What one do you think is best?

Dont forget the ever popular:

Blow Job
Wet Spot
Breakin WInd

etc..............

Bob

Scotty July 8th 07 11:31 PM

Pround Mac26X owner again

"Ed Gordon" wrote in message

I've got it down
to between "Senseless" or "Stupidity".
I think either of these two names fit a Mac26X

it says more about the sailor, than the boat.

John July 9th 07 02:54 PM

Pround Mac26X owner again

As long as we are casting about for names, I was/am considering
"Surprise." I read about U.S.S. Surprise in an article about the
Tacoma class U.S. Navy vessels and liked the name. This was many many
years before before I had seen or read the fine Patrick O'Brian
novels. Some will surely comment on a lack of originality, but I
have come to the conclusion that if I like the name, that's all that
really matters. Perhaps its it is a succinct homily on the required
ability needed to make impromptu boat repairs.

Blue skies,

John

KLC Lewis July 9th 07 02:56 PM

Pround Mac26X owner again

"John" wrote in message
ups.com...
As long as we are casting about for names, I was/am considering
"Surprise." I read about U.S.S. Surprise in an article about the
Tacoma class U.S. Navy vessels and liked the name. This was many many
years before before I had seen or read the fine Patrick O'Brian
novels. Some will surely comment on a lack of originality, but I
have come to the conclusion that if I like the name, that's all that
really matters. Perhaps its it is a succinct homily on the required
ability needed to make impromptu boat repairs.

Blue skies,

John

Of course, anyone hailing you will sound like Gomer Pyle...

"Surprise, surprise, surprise! This is Gomer, over."

cavelamb himself July 9th 07 04:34 PM

Pround Mac26X owner again

John wrote:
As long as we are casting about for names, I was/am considering
"Surprise." I read about U.S.S. Surprise in an article about the
Tacoma class U.S. Navy vessels and liked the name. This was many many
years before before I had seen or read the fine Patrick O'Brian
novels. Some will surely comment on a lack of originality, but I
have come to the conclusion that if I like the name, that's all that
really matters. Perhaps its it is a succinct homily on the required
ability needed to make impromptu boat repairs.

Blue skies,

John

Aw, no fair.
I'm saving that one for my next boat...

Richard

[email protected] July 9th 07 05:24 PM

Pround Mac26X owner again

I hate to confuse you with semantics, but you might want to look up
the precise meaning of "symbiosis". Does not apply.

I thought "this end up" was a good suggestion for a boat that needs
awareness of how much ballast is where at any given point in time.
(Depending on your sense of humor, sure not if you are superstitious.)

If you intend to support your statements on the Ocean Crossing
capabilities of the McGregor, I would suggest "Vera". (Latin for
"True".) True Sailboat, True motorboat, true Blue Water Sailer, you
say. Also seen in literature as a boats name, check it out.

KLC Lewis July 9th 07 05:55 PM

Pround Mac26X owner again

wrote in message
oups.com...

I hate to confuse you with semantics, but you might want to look up
the precise meaning of "symbiosis". Does not apply.

I thought "this end up" was a good suggestion for a boat that needs
awareness of how much ballast is where at any given point in time.
(Depending on your sense of humor, sure not if you are superstitious.)

If you intend to support your statements on the Ocean Crossing
capabilities of the McGregor, I would suggest "Vera". (Latin for
"True".) True Sailboat, True motorboat, true Blue Water Sailer, you
say. Also seen in literature as a boats name, check it out.

"In Aeolo Veritas"

Scotty July 10th 07 12:04 AM

Pround Mac26X owner again

wrote in message
oups.com..
..

If you intend to support your statements on the Ocean

Crossing
capabilities of the McGregor, I would suggest "Vera".

(Latin for
"True".)

what's Latin for ''POS that doesn't belong on the ocean''?

SV

Alan Gomes July 10th 07 06:24 AM

Pround Mac26X owner again

Scotty wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com..
.

If you intend to support your statements on the Ocean

Crossing
capabilities of the McGregor, I would suggest "Vera".

(Latin for
"True".)

what's Latin for ''POS that doesn't belong on the ocean''?

SV

"Pars excrementi, quae non oportet esse in mari."

Horvath July 21st 07 02:17 PM

Pround Mac26X owner again

On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 22:24:08 -0700, Alan Gomes wrote
this crap:

what's Latin for ''POS that doesn't belong on the ocean''?

"Pars excrementi, quae non oportet esse in mari."

Close!

"Mare."

I'm Horvath and I approve of this post.

Alan Gomes July 21st 07 03:03 PM

Pround Mac26X owner again

Horvath wrote:
On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 22:24:08 -0700, Alan Gomes wrote
this crap:

what's Latin for ''POS that doesn't belong on the ocean''?

"Pars excrementi, quae non oportet esse in mari."

Close!

"Mare."

I'm Horvath and I approve of this post.

Nope. The ablative for "sea" is "mari," not "mare."

--AG

Brian Whatcott July 21st 07 07:07 PM

Latin Declensions (was Pround Mac26X owner)

Scotty (SV) asked:
what's Latin for ''POS that doesn't belong on the ocean''?

Alan Gomes responded with finesse:
"Pars excrementi, quae non oportet esse in mari."

Horvath interjected in a scholarly way:
Close!

"Mare."

Alan Gomes, somewhat miffed, contradicted in this way:

Nope. The ablative for "sea" is "mari," not "mare."

--AG

So I looked it up.....

....from About.com:
Latin nouns of the third declension (such as mare)

here are the consonantal endings.

The endings of the Third declension masculine or feminine/neuter are
singular
nominative -/-
genitive -is/-is
dative -i/-i
accusative -em/-
ablative -e/-e

plural
nominative -es/-a
genitive -um/-um
dative -ibus/-ibus
accusative -es/-a
ablative -ibus/-ibus

Using rex, regis, m. (king), here is the paradigm:

singular
Nominative - rex
Genitive - regis
Dative - regi
Accusative - regem
Ablative - rege
Locative regi or rege
Vocative rex

The facts speak in favor of Horvath, it appears for the ablative.
Perhaps Gomes had in mind the locative?

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

Horvath July 22nd 07 01:39 AM

Pround Mac26X owner again

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 07:03:40 -0700, Alan Gomes wrote
this crap:

Horvath wrote:
On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 22:24:08 -0700, Alan Gomes wrote
this crap:

what's Latin for ''POS that doesn't belong on the ocean''?

"Pars excrementi, quae non oportet esse in mari."

Close!

"Mare."

Nope. The ablative for "sea" is "mari," not "mare."

You said, "in Mari," the "in" puts it in the accusative case, not
ablative. And "esse" should have been in the back.

I'm Horvath and I approve of this post.

[email protected] July 22nd 07 09:25 AM

Pround Mac26X owner again

Horvath,

in w/ acc: direction
in w/ abl: location
= Ablative.

If you throw something in marem, then it in mare est.
Don't know about the -i locativ.

And, btw, "piece of" does not translate to "Pars something-i".

:)

Alan Gomes July 23rd 07 01:16 AM

Pround Mac26X owner again

Horvath wrote:
On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 22:24:08 -0700, Alan Gomes wrote
this crap:

what's Latin for ''POS that doesn't belong on the ocean''?

"Pars excrementi, quae non oportet esse in mari."

Close!

"Mare."

Nope. The ablative for "sea" is "mari," not "mare."

You said, "in Mari," the "in" puts it in the accusative case, not
ablative. And "esse" should have been in the back.

I'm Horvath and I approve of this post.

Brian's comment: I wasn't miffed. Honest....:-)

Anyway, the way I wrote it was correct. It is "in mare."

"In" as a preposition with a noun in the ablative case can (among its
possible meanings) mean "on." Though with a Mac 26X it could well be
that it's meaning with the accusative ("into") could work also. ;-)

"Mari" is the ablative for "sea." This word does not follow the normal
3rd declension pattern for ablatives. (If my memory serves me, this is
called an "i-stem" noun, but my Latin grammar is not in front of me as I
write this and I am going by memory.)

Vale,
Alan

Alan Gomes July 23rd 07 01:19 AM

Latin Declensions (was Pround Mac26X owner)

Brian Whatcott wrote:
Scotty (SV) asked:
[...]

Brian,

I replied to the rest of this elsewhere. But I did not intend the
locative. But if I had, it would still be "mari," since I think the
locative follows the same endings as the dative, and the dative for mari
is the same form as is the ablative for mari.

Cheers,
Alan

Alan Gomes July 23rd 07 01:21 AM

Pround Mac26X owner again

wrote:
snip

And, btw, "piece of" does not translate to "Pars something-i".

:)

Sure it does!

Pars = "A part, portion, piece."
--Alan

Alan Gomes July 23rd 07 01:22 AM

Pround Mac26X owner again

Horvath wrote:
On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 22:24:08 -0700, Alan Gomes wrote
this crap:

what's Latin for ''POS that doesn't belong on the ocean''?

"Pars excrementi, quae non oportet esse in mari."

Close!

"Mare."

Nope. The ablative for "sea" is "mari," not "mare."

You said, "in Mari," the "in" puts it in the accusative case, not
ablative. And "esse" should have been in the back.

I'm Horvath and I approve of this post.

"In" can go with either the ablative or the accusative, with a
difference in meaning, of course.

Esse could be at the end, though it need not be.

--AG