Default Outboards on Inflatables

I am using a 3 HP to power my 9foot Achilles inflatable. Would moving
up to a 9.9 Force outboard be too much? The info plate on the
inflatable says 8HP max. I don't plan on anything high speed, just
more power just in case.

Thanks
Mike

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am using a 3 HP to power my 9foot Achilles inflatable. Would moving
up to a 9.9 Force outboard be too much? The info plate on the
inflatable says 8HP max. I don't plan on anything high speed, just
more power just in case.

Thanks
Mike

"Just more power just in case."
How you will use your inflatable will be a determining factor. To roam
around on a Sunday afternoon or to tow your inflatable behind your sailboat
in calm water or during a storm requires different gears.

To go to your moored sailboat and back in non tidal calm water a 3-4 HP with
a self contain fuel tank may be satisfactory?
If the motor always stays installed on your inflatable and weight is not a
problem I would go with an 8 HP.
Otherwise, if you plan on storing your engine on the stern rail with a
strong back you may be able to handle 30-35 pounds. If you pick an engine
with 8 - 10 HP (with a separate fuel tank) the weight could reach close to
55 + pounds. Then you need a strong back or a lifting davit. Not to
mention that an separate 5 gallons gas tank will take space in your
inflatable and need to be strapped down.

Plus if the Ocean Nazi's in either the US or Can catch you with HP
over plate they're mess up your plans for the day - maybe throw away
the plate and say you bought it used ??

On Jun 29, 10:28 am, " wrote:
I am using a 3 HP to power my 9foot Achilles inflatable. Would moving
up to a 9.9 Force outboard be too much? The info plate on the
inflatable says 8HP max. I don't plan on anything high speed, just
more power just in case. ...

I suspect that you can get away with that. However, you might want to
consider a couple of issues. First, the boat will be overpowered and
you will want to take care with the handling and keep an eye on the
structure and it will be illegal in most states so keep an eye on the
law as well. Second, I think the Force 9.9 used the same block as the
15 so it will be heavy, a Yamaha 8hp two stroke will be a lot
lighter. Third, two strokes are pretty messy when lightly loaded so
it'll be kind of un-green. In the distant past I had a 9' Achilles
wood floor with a 6hp and it would plane with two adults but was
marginal. If it were my boat and money wasn't the primary issue I'd
put a Yamaha 8 two stroke on it.

-- Tom.

Improved warranty for outboards Chuck Gould General 7 May 8th 07 11:57 AM
Three outboards Injam General 1 March 8th 06 12:33 AM
Nissan Outboards? OC General 3 November 28th 04 04:40 PM
Achilles Inflatables: Question Alex Moore General 8 November 8th 03 05:46 PM