Default Outboards on Inflatables

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am using a 3 HP to power my 9foot Achilles inflatable. Would moving
up to a 9.9 Force outboard be too much? The info plate on the
inflatable says 8HP max. I don't plan on anything high speed, just
more power just in case.

Thanks
Mike

"Just more power just in case."
How you will use your inflatable will be a determining factor. To roam
around on a Sunday afternoon or to tow your inflatable behind your sailboat
in calm water or during a storm requires different gears.

To go to your moored sailboat and back in non tidal calm water a 3-4 HP with
a self contain fuel tank may be satisfactory?
If the motor always stays installed on your inflatable and weight is not a
problem I would go with an 8 HP.
Otherwise, if you plan on storing your engine on the stern rail with a
strong back you may be able to handle 30-35 pounds. If you pick an engine
with 8 - 10 HP (with a separate fuel tank) the weight could reach close to
55 + pounds. Then you need a strong back or a lifting davit. Not to
mention that an separate 5 gallons gas tank will take space in your
inflatable and need to be strapped down.