Default Eclipse Abandonment Outcome

In reading about cats there was a thread in Jan '06 that discussed
this cat. Wondering if it was ever recovered I googled and found
this. It may interest some of you.
The mustard color may ring a bell here.
http://www.multihullpages.com/eclipse2.html

And the latest I found. From reading this article, I believe the
owner has written the boat off.
http://www.ybw.com/auto/newsdesk/200...253ymnews.html

--Vic

* Vic Smith wrote, On 6/21/2007 11:40 AM:
In reading about cats there was a thread in Jan '06 that discussed
this cat. Wondering if it was ever recovered I googled and found
this. It may interest some of you.
The mustard color may ring a bell here.
http://www.multihullpages.com/eclipse2.html

And the latest I found. From reading this article, I believe the
owner has written the boat off.
http://www.ybw.com/auto/newsdesk/200...253ymnews.html

This is a not uncommon story - there's little reason for a catamaran
to sink since they are normally built with multiple flotation
compartments. And without sails, its almost impossible to capsize.
Even monohulls often recovered after being abandoned. I remember a
case of a Nonsuch that was abandoned in the Eastern Atlantic after a
rigging failure (boom broke? I forget) that was found being used as a
fishing boat in South America.

IIRC, after the "Queen's Birthday" typhoon in the Pacific almost all
of the vessels abandoned when rescuers arrived (two cats, about 8
monohulls) were recovered. The one exception was a Westsail that was
scuttled so as to no be a hazard.

On Jun 21, 8:40 am, Vic Smith wrote:
In reading about cats there was a thread in Jan '06 that discussed
this cat. Wondering if it was ever recovered I googled and found
this. It may interest some of you.
The mustard color may ring a bell here.http://www.multihullpages.com/eclipse2.html

And the latest I found. From reading this article, I believe the
owner has written the boat off.http://www.ybw.com/auto/newsdesk/200...253ymnews.html

--Vic

Why did they abandon in the first place. if the boat wasn't sinking
and could hold up another six months at sea without any hands onboard
it seems that getting off the boat is more dangerous than staying on
unless someone is hurt.

On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 14:00:02 -0700, Bill
wrote:

Why did they abandon in the first place. if the boat wasn't sinking
and could hold up another six months at sea without any hands onboard
it seems that getting off the boat is more dangerous than staying on
unless someone is hurt.

Here's a link for that:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.b...thread/thread/
9825729919166ca6/c9e6520b99a0edc5?lnk=st&q=&rnum=1&hl=en#c9e6520b99 a0edc5

or google "Mayday off coast of Mexico-rescued from catamaran"

--Vic

Eclipse Capt RB ASA 0 March 4th 07 05:00 PM
SS Eclipse - Built 1875 Melbourne Australia - help required please Maloney Empire Tall Ships 3 June 26th 06 08:26 AM
Opinions? Perception Eclipse Claudia Engel General 8 July 9th 04 09:03 PM
Eclipse Parallax Cruising 10 November 11th 03 05:06 PM
Total lunar eclipse Parallax Cruising 4 November 6th 03 06:50 PM