posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
Tim Tim is offline

Default Help! How do I get rid of this oder in my boat? Hey Peggy Hall!

This sounds like a question for Peggy Hall in rec.boats.cruising.

Bryan's Wildblue News wrote:
Ok, Here it is! Has anyone seen the episode of Jerry Seinfeld where the
parking valet gets in Jerry's car and leaves a body oder in the car so bad
that Jerry can't find anyway to get rid of the smell? He finally has to get
rid of the car! I don't want to do this with my boat. I recently bought a 92
Chris Craft 302 Crowne. The boat had been laid up for 2 years without any
use. The boat was stored in the water and was winterized properly by a
reputable marina. The problem is a lingering arm pit oder. I've tried "Damp
Rid, Fabreze, Air wicks, Bilge Pro Cleaner, Clorox Bleach with Lemeon scent,
Lemon Scented Lysol, RV Oder Absorber" The oder has diminished alot, but I
still get wiffs of the smell. Sometimes extremely strong.

Heres what I've tried:

1: All the upohlstery has been cleaned and sprayed with fabreze
2: Carpets have been shampoo'd
3:Bedding has been washed
4: matresses have been cleaned and sprayed with fabreze
5: Forward Bilge has been cleaned with Bilge Pro and Clorox Bleach with
Lemon (you can eat out of the bilge its so clean)
6: Shower has been cleaned with Lemon Lysol
7: Air conditioner drain pan has been cleaned with Clorox
8: Air conditioning intakes, vents, and ducts have been sprayed with Lysol
9:Head has been treated with head treatment and with clorox
10:All surfaces have been wiped down with lysol
11rains have had clorox run through them

I have put the air fresheners in the boat, oder eliminators, and even damp
rid. Nothing seems to work. If I run the air the smell is less but if the
interior gets hot holy cow!

Any suggesstions?

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

Default Help! How do I get rid of this oder in my boat?

Try 3 or 4 pounds of fresh gound coffee, spread it around like fertilizer,
including cupboards, lockers, dry areas of bilge etc.
Vaccum it up 2 or 3 days later.
May take several applications to work.
If nothing else works, then get an ozone generator.
Be careful ozone is harmful to your lungs etc. Make sure you air boat out
for couple hours before entering to check for odors.

http://www.o3ozone.com/ozone_generat..._generator.htm

oups.com...

Bryan's Wildblue News wrote:
[...]

Subject

The ultimate weapon is an ozone generator.

Seal up the boat, run the generator.

Bewa

Ozone destroys rubber.

Expect to replace hoses, seals, etc.

Lew

On Jun 19, 1:09 am, Lew Hodgett wrote:
Subject

The ultimate weapon is an ozone generator.

Seal up the boat, run the generator.

Bewa

Ozone destroys rubber.

Expect to replace hoses, seals, etc.

Lew

Not if you use it properly. Just like water can be fatal if you drink
too much, the correct amount of ozone works well. Just don't overdo
it.

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

I don't think you will get rid of the odor unless you figure out where
it is coming from. Even an ozone generator will be temporary unless
you get rid of the source of the smell.

You haven't mentioned the plumbing and head (if any - not familiar
with this type of boat). Have you treated the water tanks and
associated plumbing?

Take out ALL the soft furnishings (carpet, curtains, cushions,
mattress, sheets), and air out the boat. Then shut up the boat. Does
the odor return? If not then the soft furnishings are the source.

Put the soft furnishings out in the sun. Then encase them in some way
(in a box in plastic for instance) See if they have an odor after
being sun dried. If the particular item does have an odor and if
cleaning doesn't get rid of the odor, then ditch that item and replace
it.

roups.com...