Default How about a lively discussion about marine cook stoves

Propane, Lpg, alcohol, diesel. What's the consensus of the sailing
community?
Gordon

"Gordon" wrote in message
Propane, Lpg, alcohol, diesel. What's the consensus of the sailing
community?
Gordon

Dried and pelletised manatee dung.

Bob Bob is offline

On Jun 14, 5:58 pm, Gordon wrote:
Propane, Lpg, alcohol, diesel. What's the consensus of the sailing
community?
Gordon

Here is my vote: The Atlantic MOdel

http://www.dickinsonmarine.com/shop5...ies-stoves.asp

Now if I only had the boat to house it. So I guess Im stuck with my 2
burner propane.............

Bob

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 17:58:32 -0700, Gordon wrote:

Propane, Lpg, alcohol, diesel. What's the consensus of the sailing
community?

If you have a generator, electric is the only way to go, otherwise I'd
vote for propane.

Propane and LPG are the same thing; alcohol is expensive, dangerous
and has low cooking heat; diesel has an odor that many find
objectionable.

On a small boat, lightly used, counter-top butane cartridge burners
are convenient. Smaller offshore boats up to about 40 ft should have
a gimballed one burner "Sea Swing" type stove for backup in rough
conditions.

In article , Wayne.B says...

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 17:58:32 -0700, Gordon wrote:

Propane, Lpg, alcohol, diesel. What's the consensus of the sailing
community?

Propane and LPG are the same thing; alcohol is expensive, dangerous
and has low cooking heat; diesel has an odor that many find
objectionable.

Gotta squawk at alcohol being dangerous comment. It is not a cheap fuel, though
for a weekend/couple of weeks cruiser as many are in northern climes, the delta
cost to another fuel is negligible.

My unpressurized Origo stove works just fine. And if I spill some fuel, I can
put it out with water, which dilutes the alcohol to the point where it will not
burn.

Not saying that alcohol is better than all others, but propane is at least as
hazardous, in its own way...

Happy Sailing
sdg

I'll second that about the Origo. With the burners filled in the cockpit, I
can't think of anything safer.

Expensive, yes. Two gallon bottles came with the boat so it was a real
shock when I finished them. I'm wondering if cheap Scotch would burn in it
as it should be much cheaper.

Anyone know if stove fuel alcohol is the same stuff used medically? Back
when I was flying, my vet flying buddy used to pour gallons of alcohol from
his animal clinic on the wings to deice them. At that price, this would be
cheap fuel. I'm sure there is a cheaper way to feed these stoves than the
stuff from a marine supply store.

Has anyone experimented with alternate fuels for the Origo?

--
Roger Long

"Roger Long" wrote in message
I'll second that about the Origo. With the burners filled in the cockpit,
I can't think of anything safer.

Expensive, yes. Two gallon bottles came with the boat so it was a real
shock when I finished them. I'm wondering if cheap Scotch would burn in
it as it should be much cheaper.

Anyone know if stove fuel alcohol is the same stuff used medically? Back
when I was flying, my vet flying buddy used to pour gallons of alcohol
from his animal clinic on the wings to deice them. At that price, this
would be cheap fuel. I'm sure there is a cheaper way to feed these stoves
than the stuff from a marine supply store.

Has anyone experimented with alternate fuels for the Origo?

--
Roger Long

Denatured alcohol from the hardware store is much cheaper and works just
fine for me. My only concern with alcohol is that I'm told it gets VERY
expensive outside of the US.

"Roger Long" wrote in message
I'll second that about the Origo. With the burners filled in the cockpit,
I can't think of anything safer.

Expensive, yes. Two gallon bottles came with the boat so it was a real
shock when I finished them. I'm wondering if cheap Scotch would burn in
it as it should be much cheaper.

Anyone know if stove fuel alcohol is the same stuff used medically? Back
when I was flying, my vet flying buddy used to pour gallons of alcohol
from his animal clinic on the wings to deice them. At that price, this
would be cheap fuel. I'm sure there is a cheaper way to feed these stoves
than the stuff from a marine supply store.

Has anyone experimented with alternate fuels for the Origo?

--
Roger Long

I have an Origo... haven't had a chance to try it yet, but it seems
bullet-proof.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Hi Roger;

In article , Roger Long says...

Anyone know if stove fuel alcohol is the same stuff used medically? Back
when I was flying, my vet flying buddy used to pour gallons of alcohol from
his animal clinic on the wings to deice them. At that price, this would be
cheap fuel. I'm sure there is a cheaper way to feed these stoves than the
stuff from a marine supply store.

Has anyone experimented with alternate fuels for the Origo?

I use methyl hydrate that I buy at my local hardware store.

Some interesting comments about different fuels are
http://zenstoves.net/Stoves.htm scroll down to find the fuel section.

Your friend's alcohol is likely pure enough to work just fine.

Good Luck!
sdg Bayfield 29 "Discovery"

Thanks, great link.

--
Roger Long

need inexpensive marine ssb and ham radio for cruising sailboat. Eric Electronics 61 June 20th 04 04:58 PM
Just a few names... John Smith General 0 May 2nd 04 11:32 PM
Essentials of a Marine Boat Alarm System Rick Curtis Electronics 19 February 23rd 04 09:42 AM
ANNOUNCE: Steerage Marine - All Africa Marine Search Engine in South Africa [email protected] Marketplace 0 November 14th 03 09:28 AM
ANNOUNCE: Steerage Marine - All Africa Marine Search Engine in South Africa [email protected] Marketplace 0 October 13th 03 10:12 AM