Joe Wood

Default Coastal Cruising

Look at a San Juan 38. Heee...Heee...Heee

http://www.sanjuan38.com/

Joe Wood

Dwight Jones wrote:

I am finally financially able to purchase a powerboat capable of coastal
cruising. My wife and I currently own two other boats, both small craft for
fishing and water-sports (under 25'). We are looking for something in the
35'-45' length, with 400-500 mi. of range, full nav and comm electronics,
with sleeping for 4, diesel engines and less than 5 years old. We've been
looking at Sea-Ray boats primarily, but will consider other manufacturers.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

Dwight

Don Sussman

Default Coastal Cruising Lobsta Yaaats

Great looking boat the SJ38, but I saw one in the flesh (epoxy? polyester?)
at a Marina I was staying at in Point Judith RI. I was really impressed by
the beautiful form. On second glance, I noticed something missing (check the
url picture) there are no rails on the foredeck or any where else. Anyone
who has had to go on the fore deck in any kind of a seaway in any kind of
weather will know how dangerous a boat without useful railings can be.

I had thought things were bad when a friend of mine brought his brand new
Saber not quite a Lobsta Yaaat into his slip and whacked a rail on a piling.
It seems that the slight flare outward from the to bottom top of the rails
makes the boat look more graceful looking (not as graceful as leaving the
off altogether). However it also means you will hit the piling with handrail
rather than the rubrails.

While "Lobster Yachts" are as attractive and trendy as Porsche SUVs often
they are mostly show. Maybe you if you had a really big living room and you
could buy one without props and engine it would make a really neat coffee
table.

Still the SJ is a beautiful thing and if some left one under my Christmas
tree I wouldn't complain but I would get out my checkbook and have real
rails made and also replace the watch fob like cleats.

Dwight Jones wrote:

I am finally financially able to purchase a powerboat capable of coastal
cruising. My wife and I currently own two other boats, both small craft

for
fishing and water-sports (under 25'). We are looking for something in

the
35'-45' length, with 400-500 mi. of range, full nav and comm

electronics,
with sleeping for 4, diesel engines and less than 5 years old. We've

been
looking at Sea-Ray boats primarily, but will consider other

manufacturers.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

Dwight

Rick

IF you intend to get into shallower water, consider a Bluewater with
gasoline Crusader engines - 23" draft. Sleeps up to six relatively
comfortably.

Rick