Default Aux sail fuel filter change cycle

"Rich Hampel" wrote

(Some excellent and useful information)

I should have mentioned the 100 hour filter change in my post. That's about
three seasons of operation for my service profile. There isn't a speck of
water in my Racor settlement bowl but I think a filter change next season is
indicated anyway.

--
Roger Long

On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 21:36:22 GMT, Rich Hampel
wrote:

.... if you are using the typical resinated paper filter
elements (Racor, etc.) AND you have noticed free water in the sump of
your filter .... then increase your normal changeout schedule OR keep a
record of the differential operating pressure of the filter at near
engine wide-open-throttle (WOT)

Roger Long

There is one user group even more dependent on reliable engine
performance than water craft users - light aircraft pilots.

So it's no accident that a pre flight walk round includes a fuel
sample (off the bottom of all tanks, and at the prefilter) to dump all
water trapped in the fuel.

A sampler valve might be a good idea for boaters too??

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

I have about 12 inches of clearance under my aluminum tank, a highly unusual
configuration. On my list of big projects is to cut into the flat bottom
and attach a big sump for water and other crud to sink into. It's a nutty
design with a big flat bottom so there is no sump point but it probably
keeps any stuff in the bottom of the tank swirling around in suspension so
it goes through the filters bit by bit. The suction is in the center so
unlikely to pick up much. Maybe it isn't such a bad design after all.

--
Roger Long

* Brian Whatcott wrote, On 6/4/2007 9:19 AM:

There is one user group even more dependent on reliable engine
performance than water craft users - light aircraft pilots.

So it's no accident that a pre flight walk round includes a fuel
sample (off the bottom of all tanks, and at the prefilter) to dump all
water trapped in the fuel.

A sampler valve might be a good idea for boaters too??

I would second that. My previous boat had an aluminum tank that was
odd shaped with one corner sticking down. That corner collected about
a few ozs of water which eventually corroded through the tank. A
drain would have saved a nasty repair. In fact, I think it would be
hard to find a shop willing to do such a repair nowadays.

On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 10:33:58 -0400, Jeff wrote:

* Brian Whatcott wrote, On 6/4/2007 9:19 AM:

There is one user group even more dependent on reliable engine
performance than water craft users - light aircraft pilots.

So it's no accident that a pre flight walk round includes a fuel
sample (off the bottom of all tanks, and at the prefilter) to dump all
water trapped in the fuel.

A sampler valve might be a good idea for boaters too??

I would second that. My previous boat had an aluminum tank that was
odd shaped with one corner sticking down. That corner collected about
a few ozs of water which eventually corroded through the tank. A
drain would have saved a nasty repair. In fact, I think it would be
hard to find a shop willing to do such a repair nowadays.

I mention quick drains from time to time. You can buy them in several
screw threads.[Use Aviation Trader] Activated by a pin and sampler
cup, or by a push n twist fitting. They use double valves for
security.

But I have heard it said that a tank drain may be a no-no in some boat
reg versions.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

I wouldn't put a quick drain in a boat. I've seen too many puddles under
aircraft where the implications of a leak are far less serious. A little
engine stuttering in an aircraft on a tight takeoff can kill you. Fuel
leaking slowly out of a wing won't (usually). Aircraft also have very
minimal fuel filtering.

--
Roger Long

On Mon, 4 Jun 2007 13:51:46 -0400, "Roger Long"
wrote:

I wouldn't put a quick drain in a boat. I've seen too many puddles under
aircraft where the implications of a leak are far less serious. A little
engine stuttering in an aircraft on a tight takeoff can kill you. Fuel
leaking slowly out of a wing won't (usually). Aircraft also have very
minimal fuel filtering.

You may have seen puddles where the fuel sample is discarded - though
this is now discouraged. Leaking fuel under an airplane is
otherwise, a loss of airworthiness issue.

Brian Whatcott altus OK

No, I was talking about my own plane. I used to do a lot of flying and fuel
sampling.

It only takes a little bit of crud to lodge in the valve and it drips,
usually slow enough that it evaporates before building up again. Resampling
usually fixes it. Not something you would want happening on a boat where
there is no place for it to go though.

--
Roger Long

You You is offline

In article ,
"Roger Long" wrote:

No, I was talking about my own plane. I used to do a lot of flying and fuel
sampling.

It only takes a little bit of crud to lodge in the valve and it drips,
usually slow enough that it evaporates before building up again. Resampling
usually fixes it. Not something you would want happening on a boat where
there is no place for it to go though.

That's why Aircraft Fuel costs more than Regular Fuel. It is the price
of Filtering and Documentation of that Filtering to meet FAA Fuel
Specs...

That would be against ABYS & USCG specifications.
Marine tanks cant have any 'outlet' lower than the top of the tank ...
leakage considerations.
A surveyor would have a heart attack in finding a tank with a 'bottom
tank', your insurance carrier would probably 'not allow' any claim that
resulted in a faulty bottom tap. The CG wouldnt care ... the fine is
the same if you pumped or inadvertantly dumped the oil.

Use a separate 'dip tube' all the way to the bottom for water suction.
OR ... use a 'water knock out pot' as the first stage in the fuel
filtering system ... just an empty filter housing with a bottom tap
thats attached to clear (tygon, etc.) tube. Most of the water will
gravimetrically settle in the 'knockout pot'. When you see water in
the tube you drain it.

:-)