BoatBanter.com

-   -   Seeking advice and suggestions (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/8097-seeking-advice-suggestions.html)

Ante Topic Mimara November 14th 03 03:44 PM

Seeking advice and suggestions

Greetings Ladies, Gentlemen, Netizens:

I am soon to enter the market to purchase a previously-owned
boat. It will be used to travel up and down a river that feeds
into the ocean on the east coast of the US. What I am looking
for, are some recommendations and suggestions from the more
knowledgeable users of this newsgroup.

Are there many makes and models of boats that are under 36 feet
in length that have aft-cabins? I am aware of a 29' boat that
was recently up for auction on eBay which had an aft berth, but
I do not know who the manufacturer was, nor do I know the model.
This boat auctioned for about $7,500.00 or so, and that is at
the lower end of my price range. I am hoping to find one that
does not need much in the way of major mechanical or structural
work, at a maximum price of $11,000.00 or close to it.

I would like to find a boat that is between 25 and 40 feet in
length, that has an aft cabin layout. If the kind persons in
this group could make suggestions and recommendations for such
a craft, I would appreciate it.

I thank you.

---
-
A. Topic Mimara
Unique in the World! You will appreciate!
---

-=-
This message was posted via two or more anonymous remailing services.

Paul November 14th 03 08:39 PM

Seeking advice and suggestions

Based on your question it sounds like you should do some research on boats
around that size range. I don't know if I would be comfortable buying
anything in that size range for 11k.

The following link is to boats that are for sale. Don't worry if the boats
aren't in your area, check out the pictures and the specs and familiarize
yourself with what's available. If the boats are in your area start to look
at the prices, if they're not in your area don't bother with the prices
(unless you want to add shipping).

http://www.yachtcouncil.com/yachts_b...earch_form.asp

There is also a wealth of information for new (and experienced) boat buyers
on the site in the following link. This guy is a rather hardcore boater and
is fond of serious offshore and bluewater designs so you have to take that
into account if you're looking for a boat slightly less capable. Many of his
articles talk about what happens when people try to get into boating on the
cheap.

http://www.yachtsurvey.com/

Boating is very expensive, I have a 30 foot boat and it costs me about
CAN$7,000/year (US$5,000?) as long as nothing goes wrong.

If you make a mistake buying a boat you might end up buying something
worthless so get a structural survey from an accredited marine surveyor and
a full mechanical inspection from a proper mechanic before signing any
agreements. All in this will probably cost about a grand. Best money you
will ever spend on your boat.

Going into sal****er means you'll want to have yourself rigged slightly
differently such as a closed cooling system, possibly a y-valve ... I'm a
freshwater boater so maybe some of the salties can chime in here.

You should also contact your local power squadron and sign up for a USCG
safe boating course. It sounds like you will be dealing with tidal inlets
and passing from sal****er to freshwater, you need to learn about the
dangers inherent in that.

A boat in the size range you're talking about can be huge fun, I think it's
the best thing in the world. But it's serious business in every aspect from
money to safety and everything in between. Your life will literally depend
on this craft and your skill. You have to educate yourself.

Sorry my response is so long, I didn't have time to make it shorter.

Ante Topic Mimara November 16th 03 04:10 AM

Paul wrote:

Based on your question it sounds like you should do some research
on boats around that size range.

Yes! This is exactly what I wish to do. Do you have any suggestions
how I should begin? A search of the internet for "boats, 30 feet"
does not help much...

I don't know if I would be comfortable buying anything in that
size range for 11k.

If I had thirty or forty of thousands of dollars to buy a boat,
it would be much easier and better, no? I agree with you, but must
start where I can start.

The following link is to boats that are for sale. Don't worry
if the boats aren't in your area, check out the pictures and the
specs and familiarize yourself with what's available. If the
boats are in your area start to look at the prices, if they're
not in your area don't bother with the prices
(unless you want to add shipping).

Ha! "shipping"! Is that not what I will be eventually doing?
I like your sense of humor!

http://www.yachtcouncil.com/yachts_b...earch_form.asp

I shall check out this link, and learn something, hopefully!

There is also a wealth of information for new (and experienced)
boat buyers on the site in the following link. This guy is a
rather hardcore boater and is fond of serious offshore and
bluewater designs so you have to take that into account if
you're looking for a boat slightly less capable. Many of his
articles talk about what happens when people try to get into
boating on the cheap.

http://www.yachtsurvey.com/

You say this "on the cheap" as if it were a bad thing. If I
do not have the many big dollars needed to buy such a boat,
then I should not become a boater, is this what you suggest?

I thought that this is a message group to encourage boating,
and to welcome new boaters into the society.

Boating is very expensive, I have a 30 foot boat and it
costs me about CAN$7,000/year (US$5,000?) as long as nothing
goes wrong.

That is not unreasonable expense to maintain a boat such as
that. My local marina has a $140 per month charge for slip
uses, up to 31 feet of boat, and + $4 more for every foot over
that 31 feet per month. Fuel, provisions, safety courses, and
the power squadron things I shall also do would add to such,
but will likely prevent me from being not safe. I also would
have insurance to the boat, which would likely cost money, but
it is the prudent thing to do, no?

If you make a mistake buying a boat you might end up buying
something worthless so get a structural survey from an accredited
marine surveyor and a full mechanical inspection from a proper
mechanic before signing any agreements. All in this will probably
cost about a grand. Best money you will ever spend on your boat.

Good advice this is! I shall remember this. Thank you.

Going into sal****er means you'll want to have yourself rigged
slightly differently such as a closed cooling system, possibly
a y-valve ... I'm a freshwater boater so maybe some of the salties
can chime in here.

I would like to know these differences, as I forsee this boat as
a way to go up and down the eastern coast, and still keep the boat
in the river near my home. I may even live on it during the summer
months, if I like. Would also make a nice little love nest for my
wife and I to enjoy.

You should also contact your local power squadron and sign up
for a USCG safe boating course. It sounds like you will be dealing
with tidal inlets and passing from sal****er to freshwater, you
need to learn about the dangers inherent in that.

I know that I do not know all I need to know, and that I will not
ever learn all there is to know. But I do know I must make all
effort to learn as much as I should, to be safe and fun.

A boat in the size range you're talking about can be huge
fun, I think it's the best thing in the world. But it's serious
business in every aspect from money to safety and everything in
between. Your life will literally depend on this craft and your
skill. You have to educate yourself.

Yes, I must do this to educate me. I appreciate all of your very
excellent advisement, and I appreciate your post. It would be
very nice if others would share their experiences so that I could
make a learning experience out of it, without committing the very
same mistakes. Is that not what this message group is for?

Sorry my response is so long, I didn't have time to make it
shorter.

I am also sorry I did not have time to make my reply to your
response shorter. I shall try to do better.

Thank you!

---
-
Topic-Mimara
Unique in the World!
---

-=-
This message was posted via two or more anonymous remailing services.

Jere Lull November 16th 03 06:22 AM

Ante Topic Mimara wrote:

[...]

I don't believe you'll easily find an aft cabin boat in that price range
that is sailaway or even near. At $10k, you're looking for an old boat
under about 32' (like our Xan, below). Few aft "cabins" were made in
that size range then. Most marketed as cabins were hardly expanded
quarterberths. The newer boats are considerably more expensive, but not
much better.

We found one center cockpit ketch with a cramped aft cabin -- and no
real "V" or cabin for other than leprechhans (sp?). Thus, it had only
one real berth, and that was for two singles because the only walkway
was between the berths. Cost was in the right range, but we'd have had
to spend about that much more before we hit the water, assuming we'd
want to sleep separately or make .

Personally, I find most boats with aft cabins uncomfortable. Ventilation
and headspace are usually poor.

I don't know why you want the aft cabin. Most usually want it to give
privacy between two couples or the parents and kids. That can be
satisfied if the head is between the main cabin and V and has two doors.
That opens your search to quite a few more boats.

BTW, if you're looking for powerboats, we "run" with a number of them,
and they're often worse than sailboats in that price/size range.

--
Jere Lull

Paul November 16th 03 07:21 PM

Seeking advice and suggestions

I should mention that I assumed you were talking about a power boat, I don't
know much about sailboats.

Ha! "shipping"! Is that not what I will be eventually doing?
I like your sense of humor!

Hehe, that's funny. But I was actually talking about having it shipped by
truck or paying a pilot to bring it up for you.

You say this "on the cheap" as if it were a bad thing. If I
do not have the many big dollars needed to buy such a boat,
then I should not become a boater, is this what you suggest?

I'm just saying make sure you know what you're buying. There is a good
reason why some boats are cheaper than others. You might be okay with those
reasons, just make sure you know what they are.

I thought that this is a message group to encourage boating,
and to welcome new boaters into the society.

It is that, and I do wish to encourage you. But nothing would be more
discouraging than getting into it the wrong way and hating it.

I also would
have insurance to the boat, which would likely cost money, but
it is the prudent thing to do, no?

Definitely get insurance.

I know that I do not know all I need to know, and that I will not
ever learn all there is to know. But I do know I must make all
effort to learn as much as I should, to be safe and fun.

Good. It's a lot of fun and if you enjoy learning you will really enjoy it.
It's the most fun thing I have ever done in my life, I get the feeling you
will find it that way too.

And yes, the wife thinks it's pretty romantic too.

Ante Topic Mimara November 16th 03 11:49 PM

Jere Lull writes:

Ante Topic Mimara wrote:

I would like to find a boat that is between 25 and 40
feet in length, that has an aft cabin layout. If the
kind persons in this group could make suggestions and
recommendations for such a craft, I would appreciate it.

I don't believe you'll easily find an aft cabin boat in
that price range that is sailaway or even near. At $10k,
you're looking for an old boat under about 32' (like our
Xan, below). Few aft "cabins" were made in that size range
then. Most marketed as cabins were hardly expanded
quarterberths. The newer boats are considerably more
expensive, but not much better.

You are using terms with which I am not familiar. Things
like "quarterberth", "cockpit", "sailaway" and the like.

This is why I ask in a message group such as this, but I
do not expect that I would get so much lingo and jargon
thrown my way without explanation. I have found out that
a boat I have seen which sold out of Florida which has a
cabin aft, was a Carver model, 29 feet in length, and did
sell for about $7,500.00. This is my size, price, and type
boat. If not a cabin at the aft, then something along the
same style of boat.

We found one center cockpit ketch with a cramped aft
cabin -- and no real "V" or cabin for other than leprechhans
(sp?). Thus, it had only one real berth, and that was for
two singles because the only walkway was between the berths.
Cost was in the right range, but we'd have had to spend about
that much more before we hit the water, assuming we'd want
to sleep separately or make.

Make with what? LOL! I see you have a good sense of humor as
do others! It is only the wife and myself who will use this
boat, and it would be used to live upon during weekends and
such. I see berths at bow of boat as not comfortable, due to
V sleeping style arrangement. How does one cuddle with open
space underneath in middle of V? This seems to not be very
comfortable to me.

Personally, I find most boats with aft cabins uncomfortable.
Ventilation and headspace are usually poor.

If one were to live for lengths of time, yes, but a boat is
more similar to a camper on wheels, is it not? If I want to
live permanently on boat, I have seen a 44 foot double cabin
Pacemaker cruiser for under ten thousand of dollars. It may
need work, but is more like a house to me.

I don't know why you want the aft cabin. Most usually want
it to give privacy between two couples or the parents and kids.

No kids to speak of, unless you count those with four legs, such
as my kitties. They do sleep wherever they want. LOL!

That can be satisfied if the head is between the main cabin and
V and has two doors. That opens your search to quite a few more
boats.

As I say earlier, it is such that I really do not know enough of
what types of boats out there are for me, which is why I asked
for makes and models as suggestions to look at. To date, not one
of the reply posts made has done such. No matter. I will seek out
information wherever I can, and am ordering books from Amazon dot
com to suggest possibilities to me.

BTW, if you're looking for powerboats, we "run" with a number
of them, and they're often worse than sailboats in that
price/size range.

How could anyone sail a boat with sails on a river that is only
two hundreds of yards wide or less? I would not want a boat with
sails, if I were to go in the ocean out of the river either. How
does one move such a boat if there is no wind? Nevermind, this is
something about which I do not want or need to know. What I do
want is a boat with motors.

---
-
Topic-Mimara
Unique in the World!
---

-=-
This message was posted via two or more anonymous remailing services.

Skip Gundlach November 18th 03 01:21 AM

Seeking advice and suggestions

While it's apparent that you've got a very long learning curve ahead of you
(it seems you haven't any background in boating so don't know what to
specify), the other responders haven't made your life simple.

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...pbsint=&ps=100

is a URL for the search you want (you'll likely have to cut and paste the
lines unless it wraps when you click on it, to get the full address). When
you have narrowed down your parameters, you can reduce the number of boats
presented, but for the moment, at least, there's 377 power boats from 25 to
40 feet at under 11,000 USD listed.

When you dump the new boats with no prices, that number reduces. When you
dump the parts of the world you're unwilling to explore, it reduces further.
When you go from 'all power' to the various (it allows you to select more
than one category of power boat) which are actually important to you, it
further reduces. However, there will still be lots to consider.

Once you've had a look at some of them, go back to the 'advanced search'
button (well, shaded area at the left of the page) and refine this search.

I don't think you'll get any other than a very project boat in your budget,
but at least it's a place to start.

FWIW, you can see some of the recent threads about my searching; whether you
agree with my methods, I can tell you that it will produce lots of boats to
consider...

L8R

Skip

Ante Topic Mimara November 18th 03 01:28 PM

Skip Gundlach writes:

While it's apparent that you've got a very long learning
curve ahead of you (it seems you haven't any background
in boating so don't know what to specify), the other
responders haven't made your life simple.

You are correct when you believe I have no background
in boats, for I have never even stepped on one, except
for small open ones like 10-12 foot long boats, like
rowboats and such. Why it is so difficult to get clear
answers from people is not something which I understand!
I would have believed everyone would be stepping all over
themself to show me things to research, but not a lot of
this has this happened. I have read from several, of things
which I should go and read, but everyone uses this strange
new terminology and this jargon. Is there a good online
dictionary of yacht-language? If it is so, I should go and
use it, so that I can know these same terms.

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...search_results.
jsp?sm=3&cit=true&slim=quick&ybw=null&is=&type=%28 Power%29&
man=&hmid=0&ftid=0&enid=0&fromLength=25&toLength=4 0&luom=126&
fromYear=&toYear=&fromPrice=&toPrice=11000&currenc yid=100&city=
&pbsint=&ps=100

is a URL for the search you want (you'll likely have to cut
and paste the lines unless it wraps when you click on it, to
get the full address). When you have narrowed down your
parameters, you can reduce the number of boats presented,
but for the moment, at least, there's 377 power boats from
25 to 40 feet at under 11,000 USD listed.

This website I have not seen before. I like it that I can put in
things I wish, such as length, price, and other information. But
there are things on it which I do not know, like on the section
where it asks for type of boat. What means terms like "cockpit"
or "sedan"? Is it not the place on top of the boat that you stand
when you steer that is the cockpit? And a sedan has 4 doors, on
a car, but on a boat?

When you dump the new boats with no prices, that number reduces.
When you dump the parts of the world you're unwilling to explore,
it reduces further. When you go from 'all power' to the various
(it allows you to select more than one category of power boat)
which are actually important to you, it further reduces. However,
there will still be lots to consider.

This actually shows me what a lot of these boats looks like, and
this is what I needed. I am appreciative of this from you. But,
it also causes problems for me, in that now I have more things to
know, that I do not know. Where do I go to educate myself about
these terms and things I do not know?

Once you've had a look at some of them, go back to the 'advanced
search' button (well, shaded area at the left of the page) and
refine this search.

I did try to do advanced search, and entering a low of $1.00, and
high of $11,000.00, with certain regions (east US coast) I find
some 231 boats with which I can start to search. Many of these
boats are much more than I expected to find, and some are beautiful!

I don't think you'll get any other than a very project boat in
your budget, but at least it's a place to start.

I did look at many of these boats, and there are plenty of ones
there that I can take a more serious look at them. There are a
few that are not ready to be in water, needing much repair. But
in all, I am very appreciative of your help by giving me a link!

Thank you!

FWIW, you can see some of the recent threads about my searching;
whether you agree with my methods, I can tell you that it will
produce lots of boats to consider...

I have read your strings, and your methods are very complex, but
I believe you will find what boat suits you, and one that you
want. If what you do works for you, then you go with it. You
obviously know more than I, and I salute you, for you are knowing
what you have to do to get what it is that you want.

Thank you for your very kind help. As another writer said, I am
so very sorry that this post is not shorter, as I did not have
time to make it less long.

---
-
Topic-Mimara
Unique in the World!
---

-=-
This message was posted via two or more anonymous remailing services.

Paul November 18th 03 01:59 PM

Seeking advice and suggestions

I think it should be emphasized that this is a list of project boats.

The original poster stated that he did not want a project boat and it
certainly appears that between his eagerness, lack of experience and
unfamiliarity with the language that he might not readily grasp what these
boats might entail.

Sorry, I realize I'm guilty of yet again not making his life simple but I
don't see a "simple" in here. He wants a ready to go boat from 25-40' for a
max of 11k.

There will be plenty of brokers eager to push their own list of clapped out
boats on him and sell him on the beauty a life on the water. I don't think
we need to do their job for them.

"Skip Gundlach"
.due.to.spam wrote in
message ink.net...

L. M. Rappaport November 18th 03 03:03 PM

Seeking advice and suggestions

On 18 Nov 2003 13:28:04 -0000, Ante Topic Mimara
] wrote (with possible editing):

Skip Gundlach writes:

While it's apparent that you've got a very long learning
curve ahead of you (it seems you haven't any background
in boating so don't know what to specify), the other
responders haven't made your life simple.

You are correct when you believe I have no background
in boats, for I have never even stepped on one, except
for small open ones like 10-12 foot long boats, like
rowboats and such. Why it is so difficult to get clear
answers from people is not something which I understand!
I would have believed everyone would be stepping all over
themself to show me things to research, but not a lot of
this has this happened. I have read from several, of things
which I should go and read, but everyone uses this strange
new terminology and this jargon. Is there a good online
dictionary of yacht-language? If it is so, I should go and
use it, so that I can know these same terms.

The real problem is this: yachting is not as simple as buying a car.
Mistakes are usually costly, they can be and often are fatal. The
boat you want to buy is quite large for a beginner and the price you
want to pay is quite low which indicates you will almost certainly end
up with a lot of problems. If you had a bit more experience, it would
be easier to guide you, but then, you wouldn't need advice.

Most folks don't want to lead you towards what they believe will be
real problems. If you want the cold hard truth: you are WAY out of
your element. You should, instead, pursue one of these paths:

1. If you want a boat that large, you will have to pay
considerably more. In addition, you will need to hire a skipper or
someone to teach you how to handle a craft that size - you absolutely
cannot learn that in books. Also, I think you don't realize how
expensive marine repairs can be. In addition, without the benefit of
a survey, there could well be things wrong which endanger your life,
but you won't know until it's too late.

2. Start with something much smaller - I'd suggest low 20's
at the largest and learn how to handle it. You'll still need
instruction, but it would be MUCH easier to begin there. This also
gives you a chance to be sure this is something you and your wife will
enjoy.

I'm not a captain, but I was raised on the water and have owned and
crewed on both power and sail up to 40'. I consider myself a novice,
a journeyman sailer maybe, but I think I know my limitations. I'm
afraid you might easily learn yours the "hard" way and that is VERY
easy to do at sea.

Please don't get angry. I would have sent this to you privately if
your email were posted...
--

Larry
Email to rapp at lmr dot com

Dan Best November 18th 03 05:54 PM

Seeking advice and suggestions

Larry,
I concur with you that his expectatins (hopes?) are unrealistic, but
think you may have emphasized a couple of points a little too harshly.

Mistakes are usually costly, they can be and often are fatal.

Mistakes are all too often VERY costly and while they sometimes are
fatal, they usually are not. Not to say that this possibility isn't
important, (after all who wants to die or kill family mambers through
making mistakes?), but to be more realistic, shouldn't you have
substituted the word "sometimes" for "often"?

1. If you want a boat that large, ... you will need to hire a skipper or
someone to teach you how to handle a craft that size - you absolutely
cannot learn that in books.

You're right that stepping directly from dry land into a 40 footer is
not an easy task, frought with personal and property danger, but since
many have done it to say "you absolutely cannot" is a bit of an
exageration.

Your advice to start with something smaller is spot on. Do this in
moderate steps (say 18'-25' then 30'-32' then 40' with at least a year
of very heavy use at each stage) and it can be done safely and with a
great deal of enjoyment. Do it in one giant step, and you endanger
yourself and others, both financially and personally.

--
Dan Best - (707) 431-1662, Healdsburg, CA 95448
B-2/75 1977-1979

Skip Gundlach November 18th 03 07:16 PM

Seeking advice and suggestions

Greetings, nomail,

"Paul" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
I think it should be emphasized that this is a list of project boats.

Not necessarily. While it wasn't a stern cabin boat, my two-doors-down
neighbor spent two years fully restoring a Chris Craft - A Marinette, if
memory serves me. In any case, whichever model of old CC it was, it was
totally bristol, including the newly remanufactured Corvette engine with
probably not more than 100 hours he'd put on it after installation. This
one wasn't an aft cabin, but he sold it for $7500 when he bought his newer,
bigger, boat. It didn't take more than a couple of days in the local boat
trader, and it was gone - put on a trailer and hauled off to wherever the
new owner was going to enjoy it.

This boat needed *nothing* other than a full tank of gasoline and whatever
food you might want to take aboard.

Seek and ye shall find...

L8R

Skip

Nomen Nescio November 18th 03 08:30 PM

Seeking advice and suggestions

Paul stepped up to the mike, and delivered this of himself:
]
]I think it should be emphasized that this is a list of project
]boats.

And you get this idea where? What is it with you people? You all
are acting like you're guarding the secrets of the freaking
universe, when all this Topic-Mimara guy wants is someone to
help him figure out what he wants! Geez, its a freaking boat
for crying out loud! How you all can overcomplicate it the way
you have, is beyond me. He's not asking for an advanced course
on celestial navigation. He said it himself: He wants a boat he
can put on a river, and take out to the ocean once in a while.
It isn't like he said he's intending to circumnavigate the earth.

]The original poster stated that he did not want a project
]boat and it certainly appears that between his eagerness,
]lack of experience and unfamiliarity with the language that
]he might not readily grasp what these boats might entail.

And neither you, nor anyone else can be bothered to get off your
lazy behinds (or high-horses) and give the man some help. How
convenient for you that you can spout your self-righteous spew
in his direction, without helping him at all. Where I come from,
we all help the other denizens of our marina. We don't treat the
newcomers to the slips this way. If you see that he doesn't have
any experience, then why can't you ask some simple questions to
find out what he actually wants to know? If you see that he doesn't
have familiarity with the language, then why can't you be bothered
to explain it to him in terms he can understand? If you see that he
might not have a grasp of what it entails, why can't you be bothered
to explain it to him, and help him find out what he is trying to
ask? Is that too much for you?

]Sorry, I realize I'm guilty of yet again not making his life
]simple but I don't see a "simple" in here.

That's because you're too lazy, and too self-righteous to ask
some simple questions. And yes, you're guilty all right. You're
guilty of attempting to discourage someone from getting into
the boating scene, while you try to look like you're trying not
to be discouraging. Quite the dancing act you've got going. Maybe
you should sell tickets.

I see a "simple" here. I see that it's a simple matter of asking
some questions to get to the root of what the man is trying to
say. I can see that he doesn't handle the King's English very
well, I can see that he has no boating experience. I can also see
that almost nobody else has bothered to ask the man about what he
really wants to do. Maybe he just wants a marina Queen. Maybe he
only wants a boat he can fix up, and invite some friends over to
have a drink at the marina. Maybe he only wants what he said he
wanted, but needs someone to expose him to the boating culture and
the accepted "jargon" so he can learn things the right way. He's
right about one thing though. All you people have been throwing
jargon his way, with not one explanation.

]He wants a ready to go boat from 25-40' for a max of 11k.

And there are two of them, within 5 slips of my boat that fit
his requirements. I went and asked about them yesterday. One
of them is 32' and needs new ignition wiring on one of the engines,
and the other is 30' and needs new props. They need some cleaning,
painting, and perhaps some minor maintenance, and then they would
be ready to go. And both are within a few hundred bucks of 10K.

]There will be plenty of brokers eager to push their own list
]of clapped out boats on him and sell him on the beauty a life
]on the water. I don't think we need to do their job for them.

No, you're being far too supercilious in exuding your
holier-than-thou attitude, to make it easier for you to discourage
the guy, instead of trying to help him. This guy doesn't need a
broker yet. He needs someone to ask him questions, to find out what
he really wants, expects, and can do. Then he can get some help
by finding out what he really needs to learn and know, before he
gets
to the point where he's spending money. I'd bet he's getting ready
to just give up the whole idea of getting a boat, just because a
bunch of stuck-up folks here have not been helpful. I wouldn't blame
him a bit, either. If this were what I got, when I wanted my first
boat, I would have quit too.

Topic-Mimara:

You drop me an email at aegis365 (at) hotmail (dot) com and I'll
be happy to give you all the answers to every question you can
come up with. I've been boating for over thirty years, and I have
never seen a bunch of people less willing to help newcomers than
I have seen here. If you can, come on down to Savannah, and I'll
show you some good old fashioned Southern Hospitality too.

---
-
Those who complain about others not being "team players"
are the same ones who never give up the ball.
-----

Leanne November 18th 03 11:37 PM

Seeking advice and suggestions

Skip

Could you drop me a private email?

Leanne

Leanne November 18th 03 11:37 PM

Rufus November 19th 03 02:36 AM

Seeking advice and suggestions

1) What time yesterday do you need to buy your boat? ..g

IOW, don't rush into things, or you'll burn out quick or get into
trouble. There's lots to know about boats, and what of that actually
matters really depends on the individual. Mostly you need to learn about
yourself in relationship to this boat thing you're thinking of getting
into.

2) It's almost always really dumb, in every way, to buy big expensive
toys without having lots of personal experience. Once you have
experience, you start to know what questions to ask and to form some of
your own opinions. Without that, nothing anybody says much matters one
way or another.

3) A boat isn't a set of skies - at least not for most people's budget
or liability insurance coverage. You don't go buy one and try it out and
have a bang bang weekend to talk about at the office. Unless you're in
the bucks and can afford to write off some really _big_ mistakaes.

So go get some experience. It's easy. It can be free. It's fun. You want
sail boat? Go be rail meat for some racing skippers at the local yacht
clubs. Learn some ropes. Get screamed at. Bloody you hands. Stuff a
spiniaker. Puke over the side. Sop up brew at the commiseration bar
after the race. Take the CG Auxiliary courses.

Boats are great - go for it. But give yourself a chance. Let somebody
else pay the $2000 for a ripped sail. Let somebody else insurance cover
the gash he makes in the paint of the neighboring rich guy at the dock.
Make a fool of yourself in front of your sneering comrades - who might
at least get a good laugh out of it - instead of in front of your scared
****less "significant other". Let the _owner_ get freaked out when his
GPS batteries run out and the fog comes down - see how a real pro does
it so you find how _you_ would like to do it. g

You may decide you'd like ocean motorboat racing better - much faster,
louder, and macho. Or maybe kayaking will start to look better...

Rufus

Nomen Nescio November 19th 03 04:00 AM

Rufus wrote:

1) What time yesterday do you need to buy your boat? ..g

Another one who needs remedial reading... Sheesh.

IOW, don't rush into things, or you'll burn out quick or
get into trouble. There's lots to know about boats, and what
of that actually matters really depends on the individual.

So why don't you get off your lazy ass and tell the guy what
you think he needs to learn? Or better yet, as him what he
wants to learn? That be too much trouble for you, skippy?

Mostly you need to learn about yourself in relationship to
this boat thing you're thinking of getting into.

You don't know what he is thinking of getting into. You haven't
asked him a thing. Nor have you answered any of his questions.

2) It's almost always really dumb, in every way, to buy big
expensive toys without having lots of personal experience.

That's right. Tell him that you think he's too stupid to run
a boat. How encouraging!

Once you have experience, you start to know what questions to
ask and to form some of your own opinions.

Or, you go to a newsgroup, which is supposed to be filled with
people who should be ready to offer advice, encouragement, and
the benefit of their experience. No, wait. What was I thinking?
This is the real world, where there are morons like you who do
nothing but denigrate, demean, and discourage people who want to
learn something.

Without that, nothing anybody says much matters one
way or another.

Then why are you adding in your useless two cents worth?

3) A boat isn't a set of skies - at least not for most people's
budget or liability insurance coverage. You don't go buy one and
try it out and have a bang bang weekend to talk about at the office.
Unless you're in the bucks and can afford to write off some really
_big_ mistakaes.

You should have spent some of that money you have to waste on your
boat on remedial English classes, skippy. Do you mean "Skis"?

And while you're at it, do you think you could be a little more
condescending to this guy? I'm sure he really wants you to tell him
that he doesn't have enough on the ball to get into boating again.

So go get some experience. It's easy. It can be free. It's fun.

Not with people like you and your buddies around, it can't.

You want sail boat?

You really do need those remedial reading classes, skippy. Nowhere
did he say he wanted anything to do with sails. But we all know
where you're coming from. Address everything but what he has asked,
and then put him down, discourage him, and try to keep him out of
boating. Feel better now?

Go be rail meat for some racing skippers at the local yacht
clubs. Learn some ropes. Get screamed at. Bloody you hands.
Stuff a spiniaker. Puke over the side. Sop up brew at the
commiseration bar after the race. Take the CG Auxiliary courses.

I'm sure someone did all of this to you. With advice like that,
I wouldn't want to sail a rubber ducky in a bathtub. Way to go,
genius.

Boats are great - go for it. But give yourself a chance. Let
somebody else pay the $2000 for a ripped sail. Let somebody
else insurance cover the gash he makes in the paint of the
neighboring rich guy at the dock. Make a fool of yourself in
front of your sneering comrades - who might at least get a good
laugh out of it - instead of in front of your scared ****less
"significant other". Let the _owner_ get freaked out when his
GPS batteries run out and the fog comes down - see how a real
pro does it so you find how _you_ would like to do it. g

Bet you think this is funny... You and your kind wouldn't last
ten minutes around my marina. You'd have been thrown in the water
already.

You may decide you'd like ocean motorboat racing better - much
faster, louder, and macho. Or maybe kayaking will start to
look better...

If you honestly think this is any kind of helpful advice, you
need to get out of the sport ASAP. You do the rest of us a huge
disservice.

---
-

Daniel E. Best November 19th 03 04:56 AM

Seeking advice and suggestions

Hey Nomen,
You get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning? Or do you just
enjoy being abusive? So far today, you've been so to two separate
posters who offered reasonable opinions to Topic-Mimara.

His stated needs we

- between 25 and 40 feet
- It will be used to travel up and down a river that feeds into the ocean
- aft-cabin
- not need much in the way of major mechanical or structural work,
- a maximum price of $11,000.00

Now, there are numerous 25'-27' boats that fit this criteria, but since the name of this newsgroup is rec.boats.cruising, not rec.boats.daysailing, I think it was a reasonable assumption that we're not talking about a MacGregor 25 here. I/we could be wrong here, but that doesn't invalidate the reasonableness of the assumption. The very fact that his range is so broad (25'-40') seems to indicate that he is at the very beginning of the learning curve. This is certainly no crime, we have all been there, even if it was 30 or 40 years ago as is the case with you and I. But it does indicate that he has a lot of learning to do in order to determine what his needs are before he should start thinking of specific makes and models (the advise he asked for).

We've all known a number of people who jumped into boating by purchasing
a largish boat that was more than they could handle or maintain, turning
them off to boating forever. We've also known people who purchased
boats that were cheap but that needed lots or work only to find that the
cost in terms of time, skill and money was beyond their capability to
supply, again resulting in a miserable and often costly experience. The
two people you lambasted expressed concern that this might happen to the
original poster and suggested he may be better advised to set his
initial sights a little lower. Paul suggested that he do some research
on boating and gave him some good links to start with. Rufus suggested
that he actually get some experience on others boats. Both good
suggestions in my opinion.

You obviously do not share these opinions and chose to express your
disagreement by slinging abuse their way. If all those at your marina
are as unreasonable and unpleasant as you, I probably wouldn't last very
long there either.

I've no doubt that you'll offer up another ration of abuse as a result
of this post, so fire away. I'm a big guy and the fact that an asshole
doesn't like me isn't something that will cause me to loose any sleep.

Nomen Nescio wrote:

you're too lazy, and too self-righteous...So why don't you get off your lazy ass...where there are morons like you...your useless two cents worth,,,You and your kind wouldn't last ten minutes around my marina

You should have spent some of that money...on remedial English classes, skippy. Do you mean "Skis"?

Paul November 19th 03 06:31 AM

Seeking advice and suggestions

Hmm, it seems that Nomen posts through an anonymous remailer and Ante Topic
Mimara does too.

I believe that we are witness to an entirely new level of troll. Sort of
like troll 2.0.

I will admit that my research is shaky but unless someone has the time to
dig in further I would suggest we simply don't feed them anymore.

Pretty interesting though.

Jere Lull November 19th 03 06:33 AM

Ante Topic Mimara wrote:

Skip Gundlach writes:

While it's apparent that you've got a very long learning
curve ahead of you (it seems you haven't any background
in boating so don't know what to specify), the other
responders haven't made your life simple.

You are correct when you believe I have no background
in boats, for I have never even stepped on one, except
for small open ones like 10-12 foot long boats, like
rowboats and such. Why it is so difficult to get clear
answers from people is not something which I understand!
I would have believed everyone would be stepping all over
themself to show me things to research, but not a lot of
this has this happened. I have read from several, of things
which I should go and read, but everyone uses this strange
new terminology and this jargon. Is there a good online
dictionary of yacht-language? If it is so, I should go and
use it, so that I can know these same terms.

I see we all got off on the wrong foot. Let's try again.....

From what I recall in the thread, you and your (wife?) are completely
new to boating, are looking a powerboat with an aft cabin for under
$11k, are on some narrow river you want to cruise up and down, and may
sometimes go on the ocean. That's more than we knew at first, but still
not enough to give you useful information.

If you tell us more of what, where and who you are, we can help you
better. For instance, which river (we may know it) and how far up and
down it you want to go, what you want to do at first (stop at marinas,
cruise in little side creeks, just be on the water....) how often you'll
be staying onboard overnight, and anything else you feel comfortable
saying about your dream. The more we know, the better job we can do.

You see, we all probably have had friends that have been in your
position, that got a boat and immediately "ran" before they knew how to
walk. Most times, the mishaps were merely amusing afterwards; some were
potentially dangerous.

A friend of ours went out for his first sail with us and within 3 months
(no more experience), got a $6k boat of dubious condition (he overpaid)
and immediately went south towards the islands. Luckily, he had enough
minor mishaps early on that he learned to slow down and learn what he
was doing. He sure had a lot of funny "experience learned" stories when
he flew back from Florida 6 months later.... (We could do the same trip
in 3 weeks.)

--
Jere Lull