Default AGM Leisure battery 110AH arrived flat

tlindly wrote in news:1180095084.932902.130030
@z28g2000prd.googlegroups.com:

[note: permanent damage if you go
below 10.5V]

It arrived at ZERO! You're absolutely right....this puppy is TOAST! Why
try to charge a "PERMANENTLY DAMAGED" AGM battery?

SEND IT BACK!

Larry
--
Grade School Physics Factoid:
A building cannot freefall into its own footprint without

Navti, I've read through most of the discussion, skipping over the
bits where Charlie and Wilbur, etc. slag at each other. The advice
from Larry and Dave seems sound to me. If you want a good resource on
batteries for further info look at this: http://www.batteryfaq.org/
last updated May 21, 2007. It sounds like they're pretty much toast
to me though. Sorry.

On May 25, 4:14 pm, Larry wrote:
tlindly wrote in news:1180095084.932902.130030
@z28g2000prd.googlegroups.com:

[note: permanent damage if you go
below 10.5V]

It arrived at ZERO! You're absolutely right....this puppy is TOAST! Why
try to charge a "PERMANENTLY DAMAGED" AGM battery?

Just to prove it to yourself

SEND IT BACK!

Yep, that's easier...

Larry
--
Grade School Physics Factoid:
A building cannot freefall into its own footprint without
skilled demolition.

after 18 hours if charging they are at 12,54 volts,

any thoughts ?

* navti wrote, On 5/27/2007 8:20 AM:
after 18 hours if charging they are at 12,54 volts,

any thoughts ?

Voltage is almost meaningless. That seems a tad low, but it depends
on a number of subtle factors. Also, what was the charge rate? You
mentioned trickle charging, so they might not be fulling charged yet.

You need to charge them with a proper charger, then do some sort of
load test - that's the only thing you can do to determine the health.
Someone suggested a high intensity lamp, you could also use an
inverter with a heating appliance. Or you could take them to a
friendly battery shop or garage that might have a proper load tester.

Charlie Morgan wrote in news:1svi5392vrnbrj3tjauk4s46v4aaosfhhn@
4ax.com:

On 27 May 2007 05:20:58 -0700, navti wrote:

after 18 hours if charging they are at 12,54 volts,

any thoughts ?

Yes. You just wasted 18 hours trying to avoid reality.

CWM

Hee hee....(c;

Larry
--
Grade School Physics Factoid:
A building cannot freefall into its own footprint without
skilled demolition.

"navti" wrote in message
ps.com...
after 18 hours if charging they are at 12,54 volts,

any thoughts ?

Sounds like things are looking up. I'd try to get ahold of a good
battery charger of the three-stage variety and put a good float charge
on them (the last stage). Then do a load test to check capacity. You
just might be OK in spite of what all the ignorant,
self-appointed-expert naysayer's ranting raving. I hope it works out for
you. If so please keep in touch and let us know so the know-it-alls can
get slapped around a little bit more...

Wilbur Hubbard

On May 27, 9:20 am, navti wrote:
after 18 hours if charging they are at 12,54 volts,

any thoughts ?

Do you have any idea at what rate you are charging? I don't remember
you mentioning if your charger puts out 2 amps or 10 or 20 or what.
Did you take this voltage measurement with the charger connected and
charging? Or had you disconnected the charger first? Did you put a
small load on the battery for a short time after charging to take off
the surface charge before testing the voltage?

On May 28, 11:52 pm, "Ken Heaton, Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia"
wrote:
On May 27, 9:20 am, navti wrote:

after 18 hours if charging they are at 12,54 volts,

any thoughts ?

Do you have any idea at what rate you are charging? I don't remember
you mentioning if your charger puts out 2 amps or 10 or 20 or what.
Did you take this voltage measurement with the charger connected and
charging? Or had you disconnected the charger first? Did you put a
small load on the battery for a short time after charging to take off
the surface charge before testing the voltage?

I think I was charging at 7 or 8 amps. I am going to do some more
charging today. My charger can put out 10 or 20 amps.
I charged at 10 but had other loads on the generator (yes i charged
with a generator because thats how i will be using them).
I took the reading after 24 hours of settling,
THats a very good tip regarding the surface charge,
I will try that after my next charge,

On May 27, 12:20 pm, navti wrote:
after 18 hours if charging they are at 12,54 volts,

any thoughts ?

Is that;
1] 12,54 volts with charger still attached and charging?
2] 12,54 volts with the battery connected to nothing but a digital
Volt meter?
3] 12,54 volts with the battery now "running" 3-15 amps [whatever
your normal boat's usage is]?

If 1, you definitely have a bad cell [or your charger is broken].
Should be 13.6-14.4 [14.4 at the start {batt. dead} to 13.6 trickle
charging the fully charged batt.] unless you have a 'smart charger' or
reconditioner
If 2, This is totally meaningless data, all that most people ever know
of batteries, and how battery salesmen make their fortunes...[this is
"surface charge" you might have heard of...]. In a liquid battery,
this should stay at 13.6 for quite some time after removing the
charger [AGM's, with their inherently defective chemical nature
pointed out so eloquently by {I believe} Larry earlier, will usually
show something less depending {I reckon} on their quality], But even a
battery with a known dead cell can show this phantom voltage, so pay
it no heed!!!
If 3, looks promising. You still have to do the discharge test [run
10 amps for 11 hours, or 2 amps for 55 hours] to know if 110aH battery
is "good"