rob

Default Truecharge20+ battery charger ?

I'm still using my crippled-up Guest charger (probably the most
incompetently designed piece of equipment I've ever seen) and finally
realized that while it has 3 outputs, they are not independent.
Apparently it senses on one battery and charges all 3 accordingly.

So, since the Guest doesn't work correctly on even a single battery, I'm
looking for another. I see a modestly priced Truecharge20+ at
www.majorpower.com. It has 3 outputs but that's all they say in their
literature. No mention at all that they are independent. I suspicion
there are simply 3 output terminals, perhaps diode isolated, but sensing
on only one line.

I tried a lot to get majorpower's attention to answer my simple question
but cannot get past a clerk which finally acknowledged my question and
sent me to a worthless url. I doubt anyone there even knows.

Does anyone know whether this (or perhaps another) charger can actually
charge 3 batteries independently? 20 amps is plenty of current for my
use. Thanks.

Subtract IV if using email.
chuck

rob wrote:
[...]

Rob, if I understand correctly, you are unlikely to find one charger
that will sense and charge multiple battery systems independently. That
sounds like multiple chargers in a single box. Your only course may be
to install multiple chargers. That will guarantee independence.

Good luck.

Chuck
DSK

rob wrote:
I'm still using my crippled-up Guest charger (probably the most
incompetently designed piece of equipment I've ever seen) and finally
realized that while it has 3 outputs, they are not independent.
Apparently it senses on one battery and charges all 3 accordingly.

That's not an uncommon design, usually termed an "echo charger."

So, since the Guest doesn't work correctly on even a single battery, I'm
looking for another. I see a modestly priced Truecharge20+ at
www.majorpower.com. It has 3 outputs but that's all they say in their
literature. No mention at all that they are independent. I suspicion
there are simply 3 output terminals, perhaps diode isolated, but sensing
on only one line.

We have a Truecharge 40+ and I've measured it's output
voltage as being different on the output 3 legs. Whether
that means it truly senses each batteries state of charge
independently, or if the batteries were just pulling a
different voltage from the same output, I don't know. FWIW
the difference was pretty small, like 0.25V or so.

I like the Truecharge 40+ and would recommend it. We use it
with a bank of 4 Gr-31 (usually interconnected) and 1 Gr-24
(always isolated) flooded type batteries, have used the
remote panel and the desulphating function, and it seems to
keep the batteries in good shape.

I tried a lot to get majorpower's attention to answer my simple question
but cannot get past a clerk which finally acknowledged my question and
sent me to a worthless url. I doubt anyone there even knows.

Oh, *somebody* knows but they might have had him snuffed

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Practical Sailor reviewed this model and several similar in the past
year. Check their website and get the article from them. Even if you
have to pay a few $ it is worth the read and will answer your question
and more. Some chargers can be independent to each bank.

Ken Heaton

A qupte form a recent Practical Sailor pasted below:
--
Ken Heaton & Anne Tobin
Cape Breton Island, Canada

wrote in message
.. .
Practical Sailor reviewed this model and several similar in the past
year. Check their website and get the article from them. Even if you
have to pay a few $ it is worth the read and will answer your question
and more. Some chargers can be independent to each bank.

Xantrex's New XC Line are Multiplex Masters
This "ultra-smart" charger handles multiple battery types with no worries.

To put it mildly, the battery test on the previous pages presented a
recharging nightmare. Ideally, what we needed was an intelligent multi-bank
battery charger that could independently recharge any combination of battery
chemistries at the same time - with speed, accuracy and temperature
compensation. Consider a common recharge sequence that we carried out during
our test:

.. Battery No. 1 is an absorbed glass mat (AGM) battery requiring 50-plus
amps of bulk recharge current,

.. Battery No. 2, also an AGM battery, needs a .5-amp float charge

.. Battery No. 3, a gel battery, needs 20 amps of absorption charge.

This, and many other variations of this recharging sequence would need to be
repeated 24 hours a day for more than 20 days.

To our good fortune, in the fall of 2005, Xantrex Technologies Inc. formally
introduced its line of XC battery chargers, which featured new multiplex
charging capability, just the technology that we needed. Xantrex sent us the
XC 5012, a 50-amp, three-bank multiplex charger for our evaluation.

Once you program the charger and tell it what type of battery chemistry that
you have connected to each of its three independent banks, the charger will
check each battery bank and then start a recharging profile on the battery
bank with the lowest state of charge.

Once this particular battery bank responds to the XC's charge profile, the
charger will put that battery's charge profile on hold and switch its
recharge energy over to the next battery bank in numeric sequence and apply
a new charge profile.

The charging sequence is repeated for the third battery bank, and then
charging switches back to the very first battery bank and picks up where it
left off. This rolling recharge sequence allows the charger to briefly focus
all of its energy into one particular battery bank.

Our experience with Xantrex's XC5012 convinced us that this is the best
battery charger in its class that we have tested to date. The XC5012
regularly delivered 53 amps in the initial bulk charge phase (more than its
rated output) in stone silence. And silence is something that any sailor can
appreciate.

Bearing in mind that the fastest way to ruin a VRLA battery is to recharge
it without a temperature compensated charge, we fitted each battery bank
with a Xantrex battery temperature probe (each unit ships standard with one
probe). We scrutinized the XC's recharge voltages during each of its
charging phases for each type of battery chemistry. All parameters measured
across the board were in range for a safe and fast recharge without a hint
of over- or under-charging.

It was apparent that this new charger was powerful and capable, but was it
durable? The XC series is rated for true reverse polarity protection, so we
reverse-connected one set of the battery output leads (on purpose), stepped
back a few feet and plugged the charger in. The result was uneventful, to
say the least. No sparks, no smoke, no Gabriel's horn. All that happened was
that a fault message was displayed on the unit's LCD display.

Costing about $335, the XC 30-amp charger (approximately $100 more for the
50-amp XC5012) is one serious battery charger that will finally allow a
vessel with perfectly functioning lead acid start batteries to upgrade the
house battery bank to AGM or gel technology without having to add a second
battery charger to the system.

Contact - Xantrex Technologies Inc., 800/670-0707, www.xantrex.com.

rob

Default Truecharge20+ battery charger ? Thanks to all who responded

Thanks, I got the manual now and it strongly implies they are charged
independently. It may not but at least they claim it does. They do make
it clear that all batteries must be the same chemistry/type which can be
selected. So I may give it a try.

aptim wrote:
Try this web site http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/462/docserve.asp its copy
of the manual. Go to page A-2 that's the electrical specifications page.
That should answer your question.

Tim