Default tide clock

From sailing to sand castles, everyone needs to know what the tide is
doing!
Synchronised to the moons daily cycle, the ashortwalk tide clock gives
you an innovative and convenient guide to tides. Simply set the hand
to the high tide position at exactly high tide for your chosen
location, then throw away your tide table!
How does it work? Tides are caused mainly by the moons gravitational
pull on the ocean. The time it takes for the moon to reappear in the
same place in the sky each day is 24 hours and 50 mins. Most areas in
the world have two high tides and two low tides a day, so the tide
clock has been designed to rotate every 12 hours and 25 mins.
If you have interest pls visit http://www.laiyintime.cn.

I use my sailboat in tidal water and reversing falls. I love to install a
Tide Clock on my sailboat. However, I am apprehensive as it might mislead
people looking at the tide clock. Mainly because, after inquiring about
these clocks, I have learned that they are not to be used for navigational
purpose. More so not to rely on these clocks fro tide information if there
is a chance for damage, loss or injury resulting from improper tide
information. Until I am sure I will still use a tide table and GPS
programs. The problems appear to be causes by land configuration compounded
with current speed. The Bay of Fundy is like a funnel while the Gulf of
Maine has a different configuration.
On the West coast they have some phenomenon that I cannot explain which make
the tide clock more unreliable? What do you think?

"stljlj" wrote in message
oups.com...
From sailing to sand castles, everyone needs to know what the tide is

doing!
Synchronised to the moons daily cycle, the ashortwalk tide clock gives
you an innovative and convenient guide to tides. Simply set the hand
to the high tide position at exactly high tide for your chosen
location, then throw away your tide table!
How does it work? Tides are caused mainly by the moons gravitational
pull on the ocean. The time it takes for the moon to reappear in the
same place in the sky each day is 24 hours and 50 mins. Most areas in
the world have two high tides and two low tides a day, so the tide
clock has been designed to rotate every 12 hours and 25 mins.
If you have interest pls visit http://www.laiyintime.cn.

Are you saying that the clock is unreliable, or that the tides are
unreliable? And if you used a tide table, what clock do you use to
know what time it is?

Actually, if I were going through the reversing falls in St. John I
would be synchronizing my clocks with GPS time and consulting the
tables. Of course they do have traffic lights to help you.

I would be curious as to how constant the tides are there - how
closely do they follow the lunar cycles? And are they greatly
affected by weather conditions?

* wrote, On 5/20/2007 6:55 AM:
I use my sailboat in tidal water and reversing falls. I love to install a
Tide Clock on my sailboat. However, I am apprehensive as it might mislead
people looking at the tide clock. Mainly because, after inquiring about
these clocks, I have learned that they are not to be used for navigational
purpose. More so not to rely on these clocks fro tide information if there
is a chance for damage, loss or injury resulting from improper tide
information. Until I am sure I will still use a tide table and GPS
programs. The problems appear to be causes by land configuration compounded
with current speed. The Bay of Fundy is like a funnel while the Gulf of
Maine has a different configuration.
On the West coast they have some phenomenon that I cannot explain which make
the tide clock more unreliable? What do you think?

"stljlj" wrote in message
oups.com...
From sailing to sand castles, everyone needs to know what the tide is

wrote in message
I use my sailboat in tidal water and reversing falls. I love to install a
Tide Clock on my sailboat. However, I am apprehensive as it might mislead
people looking at the tide clock. Mainly because, after inquiring about
these clocks, I have learned that they are not to be used for navigational
purpose. More so not to rely on these clocks fro tide information if there
is a chance for damage, loss or injury resulting from improper tide
information. Until I am sure I will still use a tide table and GPS
programs. The problems appear to be causes by land configuration compounded
with current speed. The Bay of Fundy is like a funnel while the Gulf of
Maine has a different configuration.
On the West coast they have some phenomenon that I cannot explain which
make the tide clock more unreliable? What do you think?

"stljlj" wrote in message
oups.com...
From sailing to sand castles, everyone needs to know what the tide is

doing!
Synchronised to the moons daily cycle, the ashortwalk tide clock gives
you an innovative and convenient guide to tides. Simply set the hand
to the high tide position at exactly high tide for your chosen
location, then throw away your tide table!
How does it work? Tides are caused mainly by the moons gravitational
pull on the ocean. The time it takes for the moon to reappear in the
same place in the sky each day is 24 hours and 50 mins. Most areas in
the world have two high tides and two low tides a day, so the tide
clock has been designed to rotate every 12 hours and 25 mins.
If you have interest pls visit http://www.laiyintime.cn.

Tides aren't as big a deal in my sailing area (Halifax/St, Margaret's
Bay/Mahone Bay). I was given a tide clock by my union executive when I
retired and it'd proudly displayed as soon as you enter into my front
hallway. I use it to guage launching time for my trailer sailer.

The slack time for the Reversing Falls is calculated using the tide Canadian
Tide and Current tables.
On average the calculated slack time has a precision of + or - 5 minutes.
After heavy rain fall or dry spell this precision of + or = 5 minutes will
vary. That when local knowledge comes into play. At time, I have seen a
variation of 10 to 15 minutes. Going to Tiverton passage, entering Digby
gut only to name a few your calculations have to be right on or you may
have to wait for the next tide. Other river mouths are known to pull you in
quickly and then dry out as fast. That does not mean that I will not have a
tide clock on board. Last week I saw a few at the Binnacle and they are
very attractive. At this time, I do not trust this clock for navigation but
if after a while I can develop a confidence in them I may get a warmer
feeling.

. ..

* wrote, On 5/20/2007 6:55 AM:
I use my sailboat in tidal water and reversing falls. I love to install
Tide Clock on my sailboat. However, I am apprehensive as it might
mislead people looking at the tide clock. Mainly because, after
inquiring about these clocks, I have learned that they are not to be used
for navigational purpose. More so not to rely on these clocks fro tide
information if there is a chance for damage, loss or injury resulting
from improper tide information. Until I am sure I will still use a tide
table and GPS programs. The problems appear to be causes by land
configuration compounded with current speed. The Bay of Fundy is like a
funnel while the Gulf of Maine has a different configuration.
On the West coast they have some phenomenon that I cannot explain which
make the tide clock more unreliable? What do you think?

"stljlj" wrote in message
oups.com...
From sailing to sand castles, everyone needs to know what the tide is
doing!
Synchronised to the moons daily cycle, the ashortwalk tide clock gives
you an innovative and convenient guide to tides. Simply set the hand
to the high tide position at exactly high tide for your chosen
location, then throw away your tide table!
How does it work? Tides are caused mainly by the moons gravitational
pull on the ocean. The time it takes for the moon to reappear in the
same place in the sky each day is 24 hours and 50 mins. Most areas in
the world have two high tides and two low tides a day, so the tide
clock has been designed to rotate every 12 hours and 25 mins.
If you have interest pls visit
http://www.laiyintime.cn.

"Jeff" wrote in message
. ..
Are you saying that the clock is unreliable, or that the tides are
unreliable? And if you used a tide table, what clock do you use to know
what time it is?

Actually, if I were going through the reversing falls in St. John I would
be synchronizing my clocks with GPS time and consulting the tables. Of
course they do have traffic lights to help you.

I would be curious as to how constant the tides are there - how closely do
they follow the lunar cycles? And are they greatly affected by weather
conditions?

"Of course they do have traffic lights to help you."
You're jocking. No there are no traffic light to helps.
In some countries when you use canals you may see signal lights controlling
access to locks but not in the reversing falls.

* wrote, On 5/20/2007 6:55 AM:
I use my sailboat in tidal water and reversing falls. I love to install
Tide Clock on my sailboat. However, I am apprehensive as it might
mislead people looking at the tide clock. Mainly because, after
inquiring about these clocks, I have learned that they are not to be used
for navigational purpose. More so not to rely on these clocks fro tide
information if there is a chance for damage, loss or injury resulting
from improper tide information. Until I am sure I will still use a tide
table and GPS programs. The problems appear to be causes by land
configuration compounded with current speed. The Bay of Fundy is like a
funnel while the Gulf of Maine has a different configuration.
On the West coast they have some phenomenon that I cannot explain which
make the tide clock more unreliable? What do you think?

"stljlj" wrote in message
oups.com...
From sailing to sand castles, everyone needs to know what the tide is

tide clock [email protected] Cruising 1 May 19th 07 06:23 PM
tide clock Shaun Van Poecke Cruising 17 February 25th 07 02:10 AM
Tide clock/predictor Chuck Cox Cruising 10 October 10th 06 05:15 PM
Tides Fred Miller Cruising 6 December 18th 04 12:45 PM
[ANN] Tide Tool Freeware for Palm OS Updated Walt Bilofsky General 1 February 18th 04 06:18 PM