posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

Default What did these sailors do wrong?

http://www.wvec.com/news/local/stori...642a3b1 .html

Anybody know if this storm was well-predicted?
A fluke?
How would a Mac 26M fare in these situations?
If the boat isn't sinking, when would you send the distress signal?

--Vic
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

Vic Smith wrote in
:

Anybody know if this storm was well-predicted?

It's been going on for days and is very well reported, here in
Charleston. Trucks are being warned to stay off the high bridges. Winds
were 50 mph here, yesterday and about the same, today.

A front off New England is pushing this low backwards down the East
Coast. Seas offshore of Charleston are over 30 feet high, according to a
local radio station, this morning. Airplanes are landing with big crab
angles at the airport as it's blowing between runway headings. The sky
is clear, but 50% pop tonight and tomorrow as it approaches us.

They had no business being out there, even in clear weather! This
statement from the webpage says it all:

"a couple in their 70’s and a 40-year-old woman who were stranded 200
miles out to sea."

IN THEIR 70'S?! COME ON! How stupid is that, offshore 200 miles with NO
YOUNG, STRONG BACKS ABOARD?!!

As long as rich stupids like these are buying boats, I still say
LICENSING should be mandatory. You want to sail...fine. You take the
course, TAKE THE PHYSICAL TO SEE IF YOU REALLY BELONG OUT THERE (no
matter what YOU think), then, if you pass all the REQUIREMENTS....then,
we issue you a LICENSE, we can revoke when you are too old, to PREVENT
YOU from endangering the lives of young rescue swimmers, helo crews and
boat crews just because you are too stupid and pig headed to see you are
too old to go "out there" without enough MUSCLE and ENDURANCE for that
worst case scenario you should be REQUIRED to be prepared for.

NOONE IN THEIR 70'S NEED APPLY! They should be PASSENGERS of ABLE
SEAMEN!

Larry
--
This spammer called my cellphone:
First American Payment
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

On Tue, 08 May 2007 12:44:49 +0000, Larry wrote:

Vic Smith wrote in
:

[...]

Can't argue with most of that, and won't with any.

--Vic

"Larry" wrote in message
IN THEIR 70'S?! COME ON! How stupid is that, offshore 200 miles with NO
YOUNG, STRONG BACKS ABOARD?!!

As long as rich stupids like these are buying boats, I still say
LICENSING should be mandatory. You want to sail...fine. You take the
course, TAKE THE PHYSICAL TO SEE IF YOU REALLY BELONG OUT THERE (no
matter what YOU think), then, if you pass all the REQUIREMENTS....then,
we issue you a LICENSE, we can revoke when you are too old, to PREVENT
YOU from endangering the lives of young rescue swimmers, helo crews and
boat crews just because you are too stupid and pig headed to see you are
too old to go "out there" without enough MUSCLE and ENDURANCE for that
worst case scenario you should be REQUIRED to be prepared for.

NOONE IN THEIR 70'S NEED APPLY! They should be PASSENGERS of ABLE
SEAMEN!

Larry

Well, that's the Nanny State solution, sure. The Free Citizen solution would
be more along the lines of, "Go and do what you want. But if you get into a
world of hurt and want to be rescued, you will receive a bill for our
services."

Nah, can't have that. Too much freedom.

KLC Lewis wrote:
"Larry" wrote in message
[...]

Agreed
And age has nothing to do with it. A well prepared sailor of any age
will be ready for any eventuality.
Good friend left the Puget Sound in May of 2005 bound for oz. He was
79 and was singlehanding in a 33 ft homebuilt steel cutter.
No big deal. This was his 5th or 6th trip. Not even a gps. Strictly
the old ways.
And having a license don't mean squat. Motorcycle rider was killed
yesterday when hit by a little old lady changing lanes. She then drove
off and left him.
Gordon

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

"KLC Lewis" wrote in
et:

Well, that's the Nanny State solution, sure. The Free Citizen solution
would be more along the lines of, "Go and do what you want. But if you
get into a world of hurt and want to be rescued, you will receive a
bill for our services."

Nah, can't have that. Too much freedom.

That would be fine BUT your unlicensed stupids' actions would STILL
endanger everyone else....like it does now...on any waterway.

It's not about the rescue. It's about a certain level of expertise to
operate the equipment....EXACTLY like every other moving form of
transportation you use.

Larry
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

"Larry" wrote in message
"KLC Lewis" wrote in
et:

Well, that's the Nanny State solution, sure. The Free Citizen solution
would be more along the lines of, "Go and do what you want. But if you
get into a world of hurt and want to be rescued, you will receive a
bill for our services."

Nah, can't have that. Too much freedom.

That would be fine BUT your unlicensed stupids' actions would STILL
endanger everyone else....like it does now...on any waterway.

It's not about the rescue. It's about a certain level of expertise to
operate the equipment....EXACTLY like every other moving form of
transportation you use.

Larry
--

Ya, licensing sure does make the roadways safe.

For the record, not all "moving forms of transportation" require licensing.
Skateboards, rollerskates, bicycles (some cities excepted), ultralight
aircraft, hang-gliders...none require licensing. And if you want to get into
Constitutionality, all American Citizens have the inalienable natural right
to use the public roadways and to transport themselves and their property
upon those roadways. That right cannot be converted into a privilege. Only
COMMERCIAL use of the roadways can be licensed -- just as with the
waterways. Everyone has the right to use the waterways to transport
themselves and their property, as long as it is not for commercial purposes.

Don't believe me? Look up the Supreme Court decisions on the subject.

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

"KLC Lewis" wrote in message
et...

"Larry" wrote in message
"KLC Lewis" wrote in
et:

[...]

Oh, and also for the record, Skip and Lydia are now officially licensed USCG
certified Captains. Nothing against them, per se -- I completely support
their right to go out and sail themselves to death if that is what they
CHOOSE to do. But what does this say about the licensing process, given your
commentary on their recent mishaps?

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

Licensing? Nonsense. So they give you a test and you know enought
right answers to pass. Does that make you a safe boater? All it
proves is that you can study and pass a test. Do you know how to
handle your boat? Do you exercise good judgement? Sailing is
voluntary, nobody makes you participate. Sailing involves a degree of
danger. The government cannot make sailing safe. The government
cannot make you a safe sailor. As a matter of fact, even you cannot
eliminate all the danger, you cannot make sailing safe, you can only
make it less dangerous. As for denying sailing opportunities to
people of certain ages, only they can know if they are capable of the
challenge. Obviously, when we are given the freedom of choice, some
people will, unfortunately, make the wrong choices.

Peter
s/v Now or Never!

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

They are 200 miles out at sea. Duh ??? Isn't that in international waters?

Maybe they aren't American .. and maybe they don't want no stinkin license.

Nanny Nanny Nanny .....

Can't people kill themselves anymore without some government asshole telling
them to get a license?

Talk about total bull****.. take the license and stick it up your ass.

"Larry" wrote in message
"KLC Lewis" wrote in