Default cruising the canals of europe

Don W wrote:

Why allow yourself to be insulted en Francais by the French, when the
English are mostly polite and friendly? And if they aren't, you can at
least understand their insults '-)

my experience in France was that it was mostly loud Americans who used the "maybe if I speak English
really loudly he'll understand" method of communicating with the French -who not surprisingly speak
French- were the ones getting insulted

Wayne.B wrote in
news
On Thu, 03 May 2007 01:00:29 +0000, Larry wrote:

What a great way to spend an entire summer in
England...

Why England when you could do the same thing in the south of France?
The French cooking and wines are *much* better, scenery about the
same.

I sail with an English captain. I've been to France a few times, as well
as England. You have to stay a few weeks in both places to see my point.
It's not the place so much as the people.

English, Welch and Scottish people have always been so warm to me, a
complete American stranger. I cannot say the same for the French my
father risked his life to help recover their country. I wouldn't.

Give me a warm pub in a country village with those great ales they've
been making for a thousand years every time. Hell, they're just across
the quay where you tie up the longboat!...(c; ......not to mention those
wonderful freckled English girls I don't need an interpreter to talk
to...

Larry

the_bmac wrote:
Don W wrote:

Why allow yourself to be insulted en Francais by the French, when the
English are mostly polite and friendly? And if they aren't, you can
at least understand their insults '-)

my experience in France was that it was mostly loud Americans who used
the "maybe if I speak English really loudly he'll understand" method of
communicating with the French -who not surprisingly speak French- were
the ones getting insulted

(Shrug) Maybe. I have had good experiences in
French territories (F.P. & Martinique).

However, I've heard second hand stories about the
rudeness of the French waiters to _all_ customers,
and not just the Americans and Brits. I have not
experienced this myself. Perhaps someone who has
been to Paris recently would care to comment.

Don W.

Don W wrote:
the_bmac wrote:
Don W wrote:

Why allow yourself to be insulted en Francais by the French, when the
English are mostly polite and friendly? And if they aren't, you can
at least understand their insults '-)

my experience in France was that it was mostly loud Americans who used
the "maybe if I speak English really loudly he'll understand" method
of communicating with the French -who not surprisingly speak French-
were the ones getting insulted

(Shrug) Maybe. I have had good experiences in French territories (F.P.
& Martinique).

However, I've heard second hand stories about the rudeness of the French
waiters to _all_ customers, and not just the Americans and Brits. I
have not experienced this myself. Perhaps someone who has been to Paris
recently would care to comment.

Well if all you are going to judge by is Paris, then you do need to understand the mindset of many
Parisians. Unlike New Yorkers, Londoners -or God help them, Torontoids- who _think_ they're living in
the centre of the known universe, Parisians _know_ they are living in the centre of the known
universe. Parisians refer to all living outside of "L'īle de France" as "provincials", quaint rustic
bumpkins who are not to be taken seriously. Americans are frequently regarded as crass, bourgeois,
hobbled by puritanical mores and completely devoid of any appreciation for art, culture and most
particularly food. Perhaps your hearsay stories about French waiters come from fellow Americans who
are accustomed to treating wait-staff like second class citizens. Waiter is a respected occupation in
France. They know their business and expect their customers to know about food, etiquette etc.
because that is the societal norm in France.
Joe Joe is offline

On May 3, 10:41 am, the_bmac wrote:
Don W wrote:
the_bmac wrote:
Don W wrote:

[...]

because that is the societal norm in France.- Hide quoted text -

Yelp... they are uppty snobs for sure and it's a game they play in a
effort to feel important, sorta like the McDonalds cashier with an
attitude problem.

However as BigMac pointed out, throw a few local phrases at them,
accept the fact that they call the shots, and you can get the sub-
standard level of service the locals are willing to endure. If you go
in shouting "Garson" expect to be ignored.

Why anyone wants to spend anytime in a garbage laiden **** hole like
Parie is beyond me. Go to Jules Verns on the eiffel tower, get a good
meal ..then leave.

And as BigMac pointed out..In France a waiter is a high level
occupation, just above cheap whore, and grape crusher.

Joe

, easy to win BTW.

Jan Jan is offline

"Joe" skrev i melding
ps.com...
Don W wrote:
the_bmac wrote:
Don W wrote:

[...]

You are right, it probably is beyond you.

Joe Joe is offline

"Joe" skrev i glegroups.com...

Don W wrote:
the_bmac wrote:
Don W wrote:

[...]

You are right, it probably is beyond you.- Hide quoted text -

Hey, if rude assholes and lots-o-garbage covered streets is your thing
go for it.
Been there...

I'd rather eat money meat served from a habachi on the sidewalk with a
Phillipino any day, much nicer people... and they smell better too.

Joe

the_bmac wrote:
Don W wrote:
the_bmac wrote:
Don W wrote:

[...]

and as for the British! It is a well-known fact among the French that the British kill their meat
twice when preparing for a meal. Once when the animal is slaughtered and once again when the British
chef performs the "magique" dans la cuisine. All French waiters are taught to recognize the
ale-swilling louts upon arrival in the resto and to give them the service they deserve.

In article . com, Joe wrote:

Hey, if rude assholes and lots-o-garbage covered streets is your thing
go for it.

And, yet, they speak so highly of you.

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.
Joe Joe is offline

On May 3, 4:24 pm, Justin C wrote:
In article . com, Joe wrote:

Hey, if rude assholes and lots-o-garbage covered streets is your thing
go for it.

And, yet, they speak so highly of you.

Justin.

--