Default cruising Dutch canals

Hi there!

2006 holidays we want to sail for a week or two the canals in Holland.
We have 15', 6 HP trailerable cabin motor boat, capable less than 20
km/h. We can sleep and cook aboard, but since there is no toilet and
shower, we are restricted to urbanized areas providing such facilities
(public quays, harbours). Our main concern is:

1. which route to take to see most of Holland's-must-see objects
2.where to launch the boat (we shall arrive to Holland from the East
direction)
3.what are legal requirements concerning such trip (licences, fees,
etc)
4.where are we allowed to moor the boat, for a night or for a town
sightseeing

Any information and advice heartfully welcome. Best regards-Shermick
e-mail:

Remco Moedt

On 23 Dec 2005 00:42:06 -0800, wrote:

Hi there!

Hey

1. which route to take to see most of Holland's-must-see objects

That's a matter of taste. I guess the old places with antique harbours
around the IJsselmeer would be nice to visit, but in holiday season it
might be crowded.

2.where to launch the boat (we shall arrive to Holland from the East
direction)

This is a nice list of places where you can launch your boat:

http://www.vaartips.nl/hellingena.htm

3.what are legal requirements concerning such trip (licences, fees,
etc)

You only (when you don't have VHF) need a copy of the BPR , the Dutch
Inshore Police Reglement. You find it for example in this almanak:

https://webwinkel.anwb.nl/published/...5-2006.nl.html

It's also possible to download it from somewhere, but I've no clue
where atm

For the rest, some bridges do charge you.

4.where are we allowed to moor the boat, for a night or for a town
sightseeing

This depends on where you are. Some harbours are free, or free for 1
or 2 days, others (not many....yet) even charge you for anchoring in
front of the harbour.

Most if not all marina's and harbours are listed in the ANWB almanak
part 2, but I believe that one isn't available yet.

You can also ask this question in nl.sport.varen

Cheers!

Remco

Dear Remco, thank you very much for a profound information. According
to it I have found a website I could download a copy of BPR. It is
www.vaarbewijs.tmfweb.nl/bpr.htm. To bad it is in Dutch only. Now we
have to sit over a map to plan the route. Thanks once again!

Remco Moedt

On 23 Dec 2005 03:29:10 -0800, wrote:

Dear Remco, thank you very much for a profound information. According
to it I have found a website I could download a copy of BPR. It is
www.vaarbewijs.tmfweb.nl/bpr.htm. To bad it is in Dutch only. Now we
have to sit over a map to plan the route. Thanks once again!

You're welcome. About the BPR being Dutch, that's the silly thing. You
should have one aboard, but the rule doesn't say you've to understand
it. :-)

Cheers!

Remco

Marc Onrust

Remco Moedt wrote:

[snip]
That's a matter of taste. I guess the old places with antique harbours
around the IJsselmeer would be nice to visit, but in holiday season it
might be crowded.

[snip]

You have to understand though that the IJsselmeer can be a spooky place to be
with a 15 feet boat (don't mean to be offensive), even during summer. Be sure
you listen to, and understand, local weatherforcast.

Marc Onrust
MarineYacht Yachtcharters
www.marineyacht.com

Marc, thanks for response. Frankly we do not intend to cruise the open
waters, IJsselmeer seems to be. We would like to travel a couple of
hours daily between towns, then sightsee them and surroundings by
bikes. Therefore we are greatly interested in sailing on inland canals,
even shallow and with low bridges. Any suggestion? Best regards-Przem

Marc Onrust

wrote:

Marc, once again thank you very much for answering. We shall consider
your proposal. So far, looking at maps, we were thinking of crusing
Amsterdam-Utrecht and perhaps Rotterdam. Cheers-Przem
Marc Onrust wrote:
wrote:

Marc, thanks for response. Frankly we do not intend to cruise the open
waters, IJsselmeer seems to be. We would like to travel a couple of
hours daily between towns, then sightsee them and surroundings by
bikes. Therefore we are greatly interested in sailing on inland canals,
even shallow and with low bridges. Any suggestion? Best regards-Przem

I would say Friesland is a very nice area for cruising canals and lakes. It
is a very well known watersports area, probably the most popular area in
Holland. You will find many villages and marinas over there.

Good luck and enjoy your stay in Holland.

Marc Onrust
MarineYacht Yachtcharters
www.marineyacht.com

Going from Amsterdam to Rotterdam I would suggest cruising the river Vecht. It's
a very nice small river with many beautiful houses. Alternative route is the
"Amsterdam-Rijn kanaal" but I would recommend to stay clear from that as it is
used by freighters.

Some very nice waters to visit as well are the "Vinkeveense Plassen" between
Amsterdam and Utrecht.

If you go to Rotterdam, stay clear of the river Waal. It really is a very busy
river with strong currents and you don't want to find yourself in between the
many freighters speeding to and from Rotterdam. Once in Rotterdam you can sail
the "Nieuwe Waterweg" all the way to the North Sea but you are not allowed to
enter the professional harbours on the left and right sides.

Again, good luck and enjoy your stay.
Marc Onrust
MarineYacht Yacht Charters
www.marineyacht.com

Many, many thanks, Marc

MacGregor 25 & Bahamas Cruising JR Lomas Cruising 15 December 7th 05 04:50 PM
Cruising reports Thomas ASA 0 November 30th 05 09:02 PM
Cruising RPM vs. WOT TJF General 7 November 15th 05 12:23 PM