Markus Baertschi

Default cruising Dutch canals

Marc Onrust wrote:
Going from Amsterdam to Rotterdam I would suggest cruising the river Vecht. It's
a very nice small river with many beautiful houses. Alternative route is the
"Amsterdam-Rijn kanaal" but I would recommend to stay clear from that as it is
used by freighters.

I'd second that. I've got a very spooky memory of cruising 'home' from
Rotterdam into Amsterdam on a 40' sailboat. The fog was so thick that we
could only guess where 'our' side of the canal was. Fortunately we had
radar, but is was very spooky to see a big ship coming up from behind on
the radar and watch the shadow when it passed us. The fog was thick
enough so we could never really 'see' the big pots, only sort of feel them.

Markus

Welcome Markus, I am glad to read your opinion. Our cruising holidays
are to be pleasure rather than toil. So believe me, in heavy fog we
would rather sit in a pub sipping beer than sail (especially our boat
lacks all gadgets helpful in bad weather). We are not restricted by
time since we are retired. A day of delay does not mean a thing.
Thanks-Przem
Markus Baertschi wrote:
Marc Onrust wrote:
Going from Amsterdam to Rotterdam I would suggest cruising the river Vecht. It's
a very nice small river with many beautiful houses. Alternative route is the
"Amsterdam-Rijn kanaal" but I would recommend to stay clear from that as it is
used by freighters.

I'd second that. I've got a very spooky memory of cruising 'home' from
Rotterdam into Amsterdam on a 40' sailboat. The fog was so thick that we
could only guess where 'our' side of the canal was. Fortunately we had
radar, but is was very spooky to see a big ship coming up from behind on
the radar and watch the shadow when it passed us. The fog was thick
enough so we could never really 'see' the big pots, only sort of feel them.

Markus

MacGregor 25 & Bahamas Cruising JR Lomas Cruising 15 December 7th 05 04:50 PM
Cruising reports Thomas ASA 0 November 30th 05 09:02 PM
Cruising RPM vs. WOT TJF General 7 November 15th 05 12:23 PM