posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

Default Cruising Narragansett Bay

We have a group of about six boats that'll be cruising to Newport RI in
August. After Newport, we'd like to cruise up into Narragansett Bay to
explore for a few days. We've never been up past Newport, and I'm
looking for recommendations for marinas and ports-of-call. Our group is
considering Fall River, Providence, East Greenwich and Wickford, but
we're open to anything interesting. Anyone have any local knowledge to
share?

Larry Weiss
"...Ever After!"

"Larry Weiss" wrote in message
We have a group of about six boats that'll be cruising to Newport RI in
August. After Newport, we'd like to cruise up into Narragansett Bay to
explore for a few days. We've never been up past Newport, and I'm looking
for recommendations for marinas and ports-of-call. Our group is
considering Fall River, Providence, East Greenwich and Wickford, but we're
open to anything interesting. Anyone have any local knowledge to share?

Larry Weiss
"...Ever After!"

Others from that area would have better suggestions than I, however you
might want to consider going a little bit further up .... through the Cape
Cod Canal, then up the coast to Plymouth Harbor, Ma, Scituate and perhaps to
Gloucester.

Eisboch

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

"Eisboch" wrote in message
. ..

"Larry Weiss" wrote in message
We have a group of about six boats that'll be cruising to Newport RI in
August. After Newport, we'd like to cruise up into Narragansett Bay to
explore for a few days. We've never been up past Newport, and I'm
looking for recommendations for marinas and ports-of-call. Our group is
considering Fall River, Providence, East Greenwich and Wickford, but
we're open to anything interesting. Anyone have any local knowledge to
share?

Larry Weiss
"...Ever After!"

Others from that area would have better suggestions than I, however you
might want to consider going a little bit further up .... through the Cape
Cod Canal, then up the coast to Plymouth Harbor, Ma, Scituate and perhaps
to Gloucester.

Eisboch

You simply must stop at the Arundel Wharf in Kennebunkport, Maine for some
Lobster Bisque

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 08:11:20 -0400, Larry Weiss
wrote:

We have a group of about six boats that'll be cruising to Newport RI in
August. After Newport, we'd like to cruise up into Narragansett Bay to
explore for a few days. We've never been up past Newport, and I'm
looking for recommendations for marinas and ports-of-call. Our group is
considering Fall River, Providence, East Greenwich and Wickford, but
we're open to anything interesting. Anyone have any local knowledge to
share?

Two years ago we spent 5 days on a guest mooring at East Greenwich
Yacht Club. We were looking for a well protected harbor with good
wifi service to ride out a September nor'easter, and East Greenwich
was ideal for that. The club was very hospitable and the town has its
interesting aspects although it is not really your classic New England
harbor town.

wrote:

We have a group of about six boats that'll be cruising to Newport RI in
August. After Newport, we'd like to cruise up into Narragansett Bay to
explore for a few days. We've never been up past Newport, and I'm
looking for recommendations for marinas and ports-of-call. Our group is
considering Fall River, Providence, East Greenwich and Wickford, but
we're open to anything interesting. Anyone have any local knowledge to
share?

Ah - well, you have a couple of choices if you want the Bay itself.

Wayne has already mentioned one, but the other is East Greenwich Bay
Marina which is a full service marina and recently renovated. There
are a few others on Conimicut Island - they are all on the web.

As to sights and the like, um...er..well...

I'd stick to Newport and environs.

Up the Bay towards Fall River, there really isn't much to see unless
you'd like to eyeball the single most polluting coal fired power plant
in the United States. There is Museum Park where the USS Massachuetts
is moored and that's kind of interesting, but other than that - not
much.

On the other side of the Bay towards Providence - um, well there's
Colt Park, but that's not much and I suppose of one were adventurous
you could pick one of the marinas on the Bay side of the Providence
River and head downtown, but other than the Mall and Federal Hill,
there isn't much in Providence - a few decent resturants, but most of
the good/better ones are outside the city.

If you wanted to go up Bay, I'd stay in the East Greenwich Bay area,
at the club like Wayne and his wife did, or at the Marina, rent a car
and drive around a little - that would probably be the best way to do
it. There are some "shopping" areas in Fall River, but most of the
action is going to be in the Newport/Tiverton area.

Larry:

Cruise up to Bristol and see the Herreshoff Museum. You can either anchor at
the beginning of the harbor (a bit exposed and rolly) or pick up a mooring
inside the harbor.

David

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

I keep my Alberg 35 in Portsmouth, on the Sakonnett River (as opposed to
the East Passage marinas on the other side of Portsmouth.

Potters Cove on Prudence Island is a popular anchorage, going up the
bay. Bristol Harbor is home to the Herreshoff Museum. The Kickanuet
River at the upper end of Mount Hope Bay is a quiet anchorage, water
appeared quite clean a couple of years ago when I met several others up
there for a raft. If you go down the Sakonnett River, Fogland, a bit of
a cove on the Tiverton side of the river is comfortable anchorage and
Third Beach, at the end of the Sakonnett, is a good overnight anchorage
and jumping off point for the Elizabeth Islands in the morning, or the
Vineyard, etc. Brewers Marina north of the Rt. 24 overpass has fuel as
does Pirate Cove Marina in the Tiverton Basin

Below I've posted a clip from a group cruise fellow club members
participated in a couple of years ago.

Itenerary and new developements
Sat 9/4- Fairhaven shipyard for BBQ on the dock. BYO Everything
Sun 9/5- Depart Fairhaven, 8-9 am . Destination, Tiverton RI . BBQ party
at private house BYO everything

Mon 9/6- Bristol via Kickanuet river for lunch stop.

mooring at Hereshoff museum @$35/mooring Eat out night

Tues 9/7- Day at museums and Bristol. Depart late afternoon for Potters
cove for raft up and group BBQ on all 3 boats

Weds9/8- Sail clockwise around prudence island to E Greenwich YC.

moorings
reserved at $20 per boat. Eat out night

Thurs9/9- Wickford YC with group BBQ ashore at YC moorings arranged at
$30 per boat

Fri 9/10- Jamestown, Dutch Harbor, or Newport. TBD. Eat out night

Sat9/11- Cutty bonfire with heavy appetizers

On shore showers avail all days except 9/7 and 9/10 and 9/11.

Questions, Call me

Hope some of this is helpful to you,

Jonathan