posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
Short Wave Sportfishing Short Wave Sportfishing is offline

Default Cruising Narragansett Bay

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 08:11:20 -0400, Larry Weiss
wrote:

We have a group of about six boats that'll be cruising to Newport RI in
August. After Newport, we'd like to cruise up into Narragansett Bay to
explore for a few days. We've never been up past Newport, and I'm
looking for recommendations for marinas and ports-of-call. Our group is
considering Fall River, Providence, East Greenwich and Wickford, but
we're open to anything interesting. Anyone have any local knowledge to
share?

Ah - well, you have a couple of choices if you want the Bay itself.

Wayne has already mentioned one, but the other is East Greenwich Bay
Marina which is a full service marina and recently renovated. There
are a few others on Conimicut Island - they are all on the web.

As to sights and the like, um...er..well...

I'd stick to Newport and environs.

Up the Bay towards Fall River, there really isn't much to see unless
you'd like to eyeball the single most polluting coal fired power plant
in the United States. There is Museum Park where the USS Massachuetts
is moored and that's kind of interesting, but other than that - not
much.

On the other side of the Bay towards Providence - um, well there's
Colt Park, but that's not much and I suppose of one were adventurous
you could pick one of the marinas on the Bay side of the Providence
River and head downtown, but other than the Mall and Federal Hill,
there isn't much in Providence - a few decent resturants, but most of
the good/better ones are outside the city.

If you wanted to go up Bay, I'd stay in the East Greenwich Bay area,
at the club like Wayne and his wife did, or at the Marina, rent a car
and drive around a little - that would probably be the best way to do
it. There are some "shopping" areas in Fall River, but most of the
action is going to be in the Newport/Tiverton area.