posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

Default Video footage - USCG assists capsized catamaran in Gulf of Mexico

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 19:52:49 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

If the sheets are run through a smart gripping device, that device
would let loose when a hull leaves the water.

I have always regarded my hand and brain as a "smart gripping device"
but I can tell you from personal experience that they are not always
smart (or quick) enough. There is a certain momentum to a lifted gust
that will just have its way with you once in awhile.

If nothing else the friction and leverage of a multipart mainsheet
tackle will do you in.

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

wrote:

If the sheets are run through a smart gripping device, that device
would let loose when a hull leaves the water.

I have always regarded my hand and brain as a "smart gripping device"
but I can tell you from personal experience that they are not always
smart (or quick) enough. There is a certain momentum to a lifted gust
that will just have its way with you once in awhile.

If nothing else the friction and leverage of a multipart mainsheet
tackle will do you in.

I suppose if it were practical somebody would have done it.
Since my sailing experience has mostly been cranking winches,
I defer to the old hands.
But I'm still looking for cruising cat capsizes, and the circumstances
behind them, because I *am* interested in cats.
I've googled quite a bit looking for sail/cruiser/cat capsizes and
they were all flying a hull or otherwise had a racing mentality push
with regard to wind. Not sure if any were even moderately loaded
cruisers
This one that started the thread is the only one I've seen where a
non-racer, non-charter/vacationer flipped his. The capt'n is my age
too. I'm highly interested in what happened.

--Vic

Video footage - USCG assists capsized catamaran in Gulf of Mexico Wayne.B General 41 April 18th 07 03:03 AM
HAM and SSB Frequencies Bill Cruising 5 August 18th 05 07:58 PM
Petition to Remove Long Line & Trawler Gear from the Gulf of Mexico Swede General 2 July 29th 05 07:48 PM
90 Foot Wave in the Gulf of Mexico Wayne.B General 13 October 13th 04 10:11 PM
Need Info Gulf of Mexico Sherry Olson Touring 1 October 6th 03 03:57 AM