Bob La Londe

Default 200HP Mariner Problem

My 1994 Mariner 200 FI started running a little rough Saturday. Nothing
major, but then my last motor started out as nothing major too, and I still
haven't got it running right.

The first symptom I noticed was the tach wasn't working. I still seemed to
have plenty of hols shot, but that motor is way under propped so it would
take a pretty bad problem to be really noticable. When I went over another
boat's wake and smaicked against the water the tach started working again.
I felt under the dash to see if it was a loose wire and if wiggling the
wires would duplicate the problem, but it did not. Another time I noticed
the tach out I cut throttle and then brought it back up again and the tach
started working.

Shortly after that I started to notice a miss. I would be cruising at
around 50 in the 5000RPM range and it would have a slight loss of power like
a cylinder quit firing and then start back up again.

What would you suggest?

Fouled plugs?

Bad Pack?

Bad Coil?

This engine has run fantastic everytime out until saturday. When I finished
up for the day and idled into the harbor it seemed to be idling a little
rougher than normal.

Also, it seemed to be blowing more smoke than normal when I first started
out in the morning. I figured that was just from the 5:30am start and it
being a little cooler than usual at about 52F outside.

--
Bob La Londe
Yuma, Az

Larry W4CSC

One of the stupidest things we ever bought was a motor with a 400V
alternator running in salt air with its unprotected, soft iron core
sticking out against a bunch of whirling permanent magnets......just
like 1939......

My 175HP Merc Sport Jet V-6 went through 3 sets of OEM coils before I
got wise and bought an aftermarket from someone I never heard of. Fed
up with Platinum Mercury Service, I bought the flywheel puller to get
the magnets off it so I could change it, myself (after set 3), GREASED
the exposed ends of the core so it wouldn't corrode up into a shorted
core and have only used the puller ONCE.....

If you wrap a few turns of cheap, enameled wire around a core and coat
it with plastic, you can charge 5000 times its manufacturing cost and
some boater will pay it. I'm convinced that is why they are "built to
fail".......dammit....(d^

On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 14:38:24 GMT, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

[...]

"Very funny, Scotty! Now, BEAM ME MY CLOTHES! KIRK OUT!"