posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

Default Got a question for you crusing types...

On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 19:26:16 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

How many of you cruisers carry an automatic defibrillator onboard as
part of your emergency medical supplies?

I've heard of a few but I'm not yet among them. How much training is
required to use them correctly, and how large are they?

wrote:

How many of you cruisers carry an automatic defibrillator onboard as
part of your emergency medical supplies?

I've heard of a few but I'm not yet among them. How much training is
required to use them correctly, and how large are they?

I do not carry a defibrillator on board yet.
I carry Nitro spray. Hopefully the Nitro spray can be used before a need
arises for a defibrillator.
They say you do not keep to be trained to use one. That remains to be seen.
I am due for an update on my marine first aid in about 12 months.
I do not recall having had any training on defibrillator yet.
At this time, I think on any cruising convoy the last boat that carry the
spares should be carrying a defibrillator on board with the proper training
to use it.

wrote:

How many of you cruisers carry an automatic defibrillator onboard as
part of your emergency medical supplies?

I've heard of a few but I'm not yet among them. How much training is
required to use them correctly, and how large are they?

I do not carry a defibrillator on board yet.
I carry Nitro spray. Hopefully the Nitro spray can be used before a need
arises for a defibrillator.
They say you do not keep to be trained to use one. That remains to be
seen.
I am due for an update on my marine first aid in about 12 months.
I do not recall having had any training on defibrillator yet.
At this time, I think on any cruising convoy the last boat that carry the
spares should be carrying a defibrillator on board with the proper
training to use it.

These new Automatic defibrillators are supposed to be smart.
Once the patient is connected to the machine it will read and analysed the
vital signs.
Then it will trigger the necessary action for the machine. In practice,
they say if you can get there within 10 minutes there is a 40 % chance of
resuscitating the patient.
Now every one is very enthusiasm about this machine. The police cars,
hockey arenas and the like are all getting equipped and trained to use this
automatic defibrillator.
The other side is "the legal aspect". I remember one evening when we were
doing our very best to resuscitate a man that had a massive heart attack.
After doing all what we could with the current knowledge and equipment of
those days the family doctor came in. He told us to stop because the man
was death. Immediately after the doctor's statement the wife and kids all
jump on us saying you kill him you kill him. Luckily the family doctor told
the wife and kids that nothing could have been done because we arrived too
late, they then calm down. Maybe if we would have been called earlier we
could have done something.
Nevertheless it did traumatise me.
So legal aspect will have to be cleared up accordingly. Otherwise some good
Samaritans could be suit for wrong doing.

On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 22:20:31 GMT, wrote:

So legal aspect will have to be cleared up accordingly. Otherwise some good
Samaritans could be suit for wrong doing.

I'm not exactly sure where you live, but states have Good Samaritan
laws. As long as you help in good faith, and the simple fact that you
help is evidence of good faith, you are in the clear. In most states,
any legal filing related to emergency medical treatment has to pass a
medical review board and as long as it was in good faith, they never
pass it through to the courts. If you have emergency medical
training, the only criteria is that you don't exceed the limits of the
training - like giving a cardiac patient a drug or start an IV if your
training is at the First Responder or EMT-Basic level.

I have personal experience with this so I'm fairly familiar with the
process. :)

[...]

Thanks for your input.
In Canada, as you have stated, you don't exceed the limits of your training.
I only have first aid training which I have to re-qualify every three years
or as required.
I am due for March 2008. This training does not allow us to administer
cardiac drug or sugar.
With your qualifications you may use the good Samaritans clause better than
the average citizen.
Today even the qualified Emergency physician is not immune against law suit.
Not to mention that, as a teenager I have already been in court to answer
questions relate to first aid given to a dying elderly night watchmen. With
the assistance of my father's lawyer I was cleared of any wrong doing.
Nevertheless It left a bad memory.
In Canada the father's approach and the good Samaritans laws are in used.
The problem is that, at time, you may get challenged.

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
RCE RCE is offline

[...]

Good grief.

Cancel all future parties at our house.

Eisboch

[...]

Having a defib unit aboard may negate the Good Samaritan considerations and
legally hold you, the boat owner, to training and certification on the use
and care of the unit.

Best to consult the experts on this, including your lawyer. It is indeed a
sad world we live in that we have to go to those extremes to protect our
self from losing everything we own when trying to save someone's life.

On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 22:20:31 +0000, marierdj wrote:

So legal aspect will have to be cleared up accordingly. Otherwise some
good Samaritans could be suit for wrong doing.

Most states have Good Samaritan Laws protecting rescuers, although some
require training before using defibrillators.

http://www.momsteam.com/alpha/featur...reness_center/
good_samaritan_laws.shtml
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

wrote:

How many of you cruisers carry an automatic defibrillator onboard as
part of your emergency medical supplies?

I've heard of a few but I'm not yet among them. How much training is
required to use them correctly, and how large are they?

The fully auto units require no training at all - automatic with
step-by-step instructions including on one that I know of,
instructions for CPR.

As to size, not much bigger than a really good emergency med kit.

I was just curious because I was checking mine over and changing out
the pads for new ones. I couldn't remember if I had asked the
question before.

wrote:

How many of you cruisers carry an automatic defibrillator onboard as
part of your emergency medical supplies?

I've heard of a few but I'm not yet among them. How much training is
required to use them correctly, and how large are they?

The fully auto units require no training at all - automatic with
step-by-step instructions including on one that I know of,
instructions for CPR.

As to size, not much bigger than a really good emergency med kit.

I was just curious because I was checking mine over and changing out
the pads for new ones. I couldn't remember if I had asked the
question before.

Could you give us the approximate cost of purchasing one Automatic
defibrillator.
How do they have to be stored and do they require periodical inspection and
calibration.

Wiring Question Marc Electronics 3 March 21st 04 12:20 AM
Another strip-plank question - a bit long Pete Boat Building 3 January 12th 04 08:03 PM
Propeller efficiency question (electric) MBS Boat Building 4 December 23rd 03 04:39 AM
Other choice and counterpoise question Earl Haase Electronics 3 October 31st 03 06:43 PM
Sunday's VHF antics.....and a question.. Electronics 8 September 13th 03 09:04 AM