Default Belize - any experiences and/or knowledge to share

Rick,

I have been to Belize twice. Not cruising but diving at a small atoll.

Belize, in my opinion, is really neat. I highly recommend it.

There are about 5 major nationalities that each lend a different flavor
to the country; two types of Mayan (Mexican and Guatemalan), orientals
(shop keepers), blacks (decedents from a slave revolt), expat Americans
and Brits, and about 10% of the population is Mennonite/Amish
German-Canadians. The Prime Minister is of Lebanese extraction.

By far the most visited sites are the Northern atolls and islands.
Tourist traps. Go out west to see the pretty country, Spanish Lookout
where the Mennonites have transformed it. There is Mountain Pine Ridge,
a wild area that reminds me of the New Jersey Pine Barrens. There is
tubing and white water rafting, there are caving trips to see some human
sacrificial sites. I have been in Blue Cave and gotten myself in a
tizzy with images of Huck Finn in my head. Just go in with a good
waterproof/dive light for there are NO guides available.

Punta Gorda is the southern district capital. About 5,000 people,
mostly Mayan. Connected by 20 miles of dirt road. Oil lantern for a
light house.

There are only 4 atolls in the Atlantic, Belize has 3 of them. Diving
is still good there. Reefs are very nasty. Read Nigle Calders book on
reading charts. He makes repeated references to Belize charts which
have not been updated in over 100 years, maybe 150.

Many small rivers come down from the foothills. Most are navigable if
you can get over the bar. But the bars run around 4 to 5 feet so it is
really iffy. We took a boat out to the atoll from Sitee River and I
talked to the operator quite a bit. They had an old wooden schooner
that they lost on the bar then ran 25 foot fiberglass skiffs out the 40
miles to the atoll for a couple of years. They have now bought a
converted proa that they run out and back with tourists. Even that
drags bottom at times.

Wonderful area, I would love to sail there myself.

Good luck,

Howard

Rick B. wrote:
thinking of going there...

What should I know?

On Apr 8, 2:44 pm, Howard wrote:
[...]

Rick B. wrote:
thinking of going there...

What should I know?

If you go inland, take the anti-malaria medicine. I got Malaria there
in 1987.

Bob Bob is offline

On Apr 9, 6:27 pm, wrote:

If you go inland, take the anti-malaria medicine. I got Malaria there
in 1987.- Hide quoted text -

Hi Frogs:

Id like to know the back story on your 1987 stay. If you can..........

Bob

Rick B. wrote:
thinking of going there...
What should I know?

If you go inland, take the anti-malaria medicine. I got Malaria there
in 1987.

That is a shame, malaria is no joke. My Dad had malaria contracted in
WWII and I saw him suffer from it. On our first trip we all took the
anti-malarial medicine. My wife (aka "Goat Stomach") had no symptoms.
My daughter would get stomach sick after taking it. I had a bad
reaction: swollen lymph nodes, fever over 100, achy all over, no energy.
Sort of about like a midling case of malaria. I talked to a lot of
people down there and no one takes any anti-malarial. After that I
abstained. Each takes his own chances, personally I'll take the risk.