Default Epoxy by brand and why ...

Seems like all I can get around here is WEST System..

But I know there are other brands..

What is your favorite and why.

NE Sailboat wrote:
Seems like all I can get around here is WEST System..

But I know there are other brands..

What is your favorite and why.

When working with wood, West 105 is still the best.

For laminating fiberglass I prefer a real laminating resin.
Dow 330 was my favorite, but it seems to be out of production(?).

Richard

On Mon, 02 Apr 2007 20:58:23 GMT, "NE Sailboat"
wrote:

Seems like all I can get around here is WEST System..

But I know there are other brands..

What is your favorite and why.

There is nothing wrong with West System products. They are well
designed, well documented, consistently do what they are supposed to,
and available just about anywhere.

http://www.raka.com/

I like West, I've used it for 20 years, and as has been mentioned, it is
available in lots of places.

I worked on Ocean Planet just prior to the 2004 Vendee Globe, and Bruce
had all the free MAS epoxy he wanted. BUT, it has a different curing
cycle than West, so working times were unfamiliar/different. I wasted a
lot of epoxy, very annoying even when it is free.

The point? There is a learning curve with each brand, and one does not
necessarily translate to another.

Jonathan

--
I am building my daughter an Argie 10 sailing dinghy, check it out:
http://home.comcast.net/~jonsailr

NE Sailboat wrote:
Seems like all I can get around here is WEST System..

But I know there are other brands..

What is your favorite and why.

I was using West System and liked it but it was hard to get here. Had
to mail order it. The local Woodcraft store started carrying System 3
so I switched when I run out of West System. System 3 cleans up with
White vinegar which I like (cheaper than acetone).