Default Size of seas and size of boat

On 2007-04-04 12:13:02 -0400, "Paul" said:

[...] I expect you're thinking about a storm at sea. While any storm makes
me uncomfortable --I hate to spill drinks-- and I do everything in my
power to stay away from them, I'd wouldn't be unduly alarmed to find
myself in one if I were well away from any shore, was on a series drogue
sea anchor, and had time to strip the exterior and unship our rudder and
put it below.

Unship your rudder?

I wondered if anyone would notice that.

One of the advantages of our transom-hung rudder is that I can take it
off and eliminate damage caused by drifting backwards in high sease. I
also can, and do, inspect the fittings regularly. There is a good pic
of our rudder on Xan's exterior pics page.

--
Jere Lull
Tanzer 28 #4 out of Tolchester, MD

Bob Bob is offline

On Apr 1, 7:37 am, "John Reimer"
wrote:
Is there a general rule of thumb on what size of seas become inherently
unsafe for a particular size of boat?

Just got my May issue of National Fisherman. Go to page 16 and read
BOAT OF THE MONTH.

There is a 20' x 8' x 3' Pacific City "Oregon Dory". The guy built it
in 1975 and has fished salmon, halibut and tuna since. Now that may
not seem to interesting til ya think this is launched on the beach
then bust through the surf, and then maybe spend a night or two out
cause the surf is too bad to come in. Oh, not sure if you know about
ALbacore tuna.................... they typically range from 50-100+
miles off shore. Some years they get in closer.

NOw this is done in a flat bottom open dory considered by most "modern
yachatsmen" as a good "row boat." But in Oregon this boat fishes in
conditions twice what overwhelmed Skip and Lydia.
So how big a boat do you need?!?!?
Bob

Now can you read betwen the lines here? How big a boat do you need?
Bob

On Apr 9, 10:08 am, "Bob" wrote:
On Apr 1, 7:37 am, "John Reimer"
wrote:

[...]

well we here just dont pay much attention to yall down south and east
of us.
no one ever said we couldnt go tuna fishing in a dory so a case of
beer and a sack lunch and off we go.