Default Size of seas and size of boat

On Sun, 01 Apr 2007 08:34:05 -0700, Stephen Trapani
wrote:

I think this is a bit deceptive. "Waves" are almost never encountered in
the open ocean except in shallows. "Swells" are what the sea is filled
with and other than comfort, there is no minimum size of boat making
swells safer. It's the construction and design of the boat that matters,
not size.

Stephen

Sorry Stephen, I must disagree. The bumpy surface of the sea at sea is
a combination of waves caused by the ciurrent wind may continue after
wind has ceased and swell which is evidence of waves and weather from
a distance.

In shallows waves increase in height until they break. That is why
coming into shallows such an anchorage or harbour (especially against
the tide) can be dangerous or uncomfortable.

Agreed that it is the construction and design of the boat that matters
but a not to be discounted factor is the seamanship of the crew. Often
in sailing a course with high seas running and some breaking behind
one, it is better to bear off so that the waves hit on the quarter.
Any breaking surge rolls under the boat - you might surf a bit but if
your sails are more forward, you will not be pushed around to beam on
and a broach. For my boat in conditions where the wind is up and the
seas are building, I drop the main altogether and use the genoa. You
may have to tack either side of the course but there will be little
danger of broaching anmd being rolled. I say "little" because it is
the three big ones in a row that are the problem. The first one pushes
your stern about and you may lose a bit of forward momentum. That's
when it is possible for its friend to throw you around some more.

Size of the boat is not as important as seamanship (obtained by making
mistakes and experience), design and strength of construction in that
order I believe.

I'm not an expert on sailing but this is my experience.
cheers
Peter

Thanks for the great replies everybody, and KRJ, great idea, but my budget
is LESS than a billion dollars, unfortunately.

But that does bring up an interesting question, what's the biggest ship
that's been sent to the bottom by seas? Not icebergs, U-boats, or
collisions, but by good ol' Mother Nature, other than turning the Cape and
meeting up with the rocks, just out on the open blue water. Will have to
look into that...

John

"krj" wrote in message

A 1000+ foot carrier is safe in any ocean

Red Red is offline

John Wrote:
"But that does bring up an interesting question, what's the biggest ship
that's been sent to the bottom by seas? Not icebergs, U-boats, or
collisions, but by good ol' Mother Nature, other than turning the Cape
and meeting up with the rocks, just out on the open blue water. Will
have to look into that..."

Sometime during WWII the US Navy ran into a fierce typhoon in the
Pacific that sunk a lot of their ships. Don't know the specifics on
which types though.

Red

Bob Bob is offline

On Apr 1, 7:37 am, "John Reimer"
wrote:
Is there a general rule of thumb on what size of seas become inherently
unsafe for a particular size of boat?

To quote Donald Rumsfeld, "... You go to sea with the boat you have,
not the boat you want...."

So get your ass out there and stop fllip flopping.
Bob

On Apr 2, 12:17 am, "Bob" wrote:
On Apr 1, 7:37 am, "John Reimer"
wrote:

Is there a general rule of thumb on what size of seas become inherently
unsafe for a particular size of boat?

To quote Donald Rumsfeld, "... You go to sea with the boat you have,
not the boat you want...."

So get your ass out there and stop fllip flopping.
Bob

This is a loaded question. A lot depends on how seaworthy the boat is,
and how skilled the captian is. A good captian can get away with a
lot, a good captian on a seaworthy boat can get away with a lot more
(within reason). Their are plenty of larger boats that are just not
very seaworthy, and plenty of small boats that are very seaworthy for
their size.

John

In article ,
"John Reimer" wrote:

Thanks for the great replies everybody, and KRJ, great idea, but my budget
is LESS than a billion dollars, unfortunately.

But that does bring up an interesting question, what's the biggest ship
that's been sent to the bottom by seas? Not icebergs, U-boats, or
collisions, but by good ol' Mother Nature, other than turning the Cape and
meeting up with the rocks, just out on the open blue water. Will have to
look into that...

'Derbyshire' ?

Molesworth

But that does bring up an interesting question, what's the biggest ship
that's been sent to the bottom by seas? Not icebergs, U-boats, or
collisions, but by good ol' Mother Nature, other than turning the Cape and
meeting up with the rocks, just out on the open blue water. Will have to
look into that...

This typhoon and it's effect is interesting, but no ships as big as
"Derbyshire".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halsey%27s_Typhoon

It is not the size of the boat but the skill of the sailor.

Cap'n Ric

On 2007-04-01 10:37:46 -0400, "John Reimer"
said:

Is there a general rule of thumb on what size of seas become inherently
unsafe for a particular size of boat?

Not really, if you're only considering wave size. I've been in 6-8'
waves over 8' swells and it was a fun romp. I've also encountered 3'
waves that convinced me to slink back into the anchorage, tail between
my legs.

What are the other conditions, depth of water, winds? Are you sailing,
motoring, hove to, on a sea anchor or anchored to the bottom?

I expect you're thinking about a storm at sea. While any storm makes me
uncomfortable --I hate to spill drinks-- and I do everything in my
power to stay away from them, I'd wouldn't be unduly alarmed to find
myself in one if I were well away from any shore, was on a series
drogue sea anchor, and had time to strip the exterior and unship our
rudder and put it below.

--
Jere Lull
Tanzer 28 #4 out of Tolchester, MD

On 2007-04-01 10:37:46 -0400, "John Reimer"
said:

Is there a general rule of thumb on what size of seas become inherently
unsafe for a particular size of boat?

[...] I expect you're thinking about a storm at sea. While any storm makes
me uncomfortable --I hate to spill drinks-- and I do everything in my
power to stay away from them, I'd wouldn't be unduly alarmed to find
myself in one if I were well away from any shore, was on a series drogue
sea anchor, and had time to strip the exterior and unship our rudder and
put it below.

Unship your rudder?

-Paul