Default Magellan GPS question

A poster to a boat site I visit recommended that I get a Magellan handheld
GPS, not a Garmin.

He said the Magellan is better and that the mapping software is much
cheaper.

I really don't know hardly anything about Magellan or the Magellan software.

Can one of you knowledgeable sailors fill me in..

Thanks

NE Sailboat wrote:
A poster to a boat site I visit recommended that I get a Magellan
handheld GPS, not a Garmin.

He said the Magellan is better and that the mapping software is much
cheaper.

I really don't know hardly anything about Magellan or the Magellan
software.

Can one of you knowledgeable sailors fill me in..

Thanks

The top models from each of these manufacturers have little to choose
between them, however, when it comes to software, I would think Garmin has a
very strong lead, paticularly the Bluecharts versions, which are excellent.
As you are posting to a sailing newsgroup, I assume that is what you want.

Dennis.

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 07:51:08 GMT, "Dennis Pogson"
wrote:

As you are posting to a sailing newsgroup

Dennis, with all due respect, this is a cruising newsgroup.

news
wrote:

As you are posting to a sailing newsgroup

Dennis, with all due respect, this is a cruising newsgroup.

Hey stupid! Ever hear of cruising under sail? I guess not. Typical
chauvinist motorheads are too ignorant to think of sailboats as other
than the guy who has the right of way and that ****es them off royally
knowing they have to give way in spite of their large motors which take
the place of their small penises.

Wilbur Hubbard

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 13:33:24 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

Typical
chauvinist motorheads are too ignorant to think of sailboats as other
than the guy who has the right of way

What's the matter Capt Neil, you seem a bit cranky today. Trouble
with the engine or did you just get waked by a mega yacht?

One of the interesting things about cruising under power is the number
of sailboats you encounter that assume the right away when *they* are
under power, and then get all huffy about it when given 5 short toots
on the air horn. I'm sure you'd never do anything that unseamanlike.

wrote:

Typical
chauvinist motorheads are too ignorant to think of sailboats as other
than the guy who has the right of way

What's the matter Capt Neil, you seem a bit cranky today. Trouble
with the engine or did you just get waked by a mega yacht?

One of the interesting things about cruising under power is the number
of sailboats you encounter that assume the right away when *they* are
under power, and then get all huffy about it when given 5 short toots
on the air horn. I'm sure you'd never do anything that unseamanlike.

Put it this way. I use my engine so little that I bought stock in Pri-D.
http://www.solareagle.com/pri.html On the other hand, I've gone
through three sets of working sails. There has only been a rare occasion
when I'm running the diesel and I'm smart enough to realize I'm a
motorboat in that case. But, being smart I always set my course so the
other vessel has me on their starboard bow in a crossing situation. So,
they are the give way vessel anyway. Ya gotta use your noggin!

Wilbur Hubbard

"NE Sailboat" wrote in message
A poster to a boat site I visit recommended that I get a Magellan
handheld GPS, not a Garmin.

He said the Magellan is better and that the mapping software is much
cheaper.

I really don't know hardly anything about Magellan or the Magellan
software.

Can one of you knowledgeable sailors fill me in..

Thanks

Go Lowrance. It's less expensive. It has a better warranty. It works
with maptech charting software and secure digital cards. Superior in
just about every way.

Wilbur Hubbard

On Mar 30, 1:34 pm, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:
"NE Sailboat" wrote in message

A poster to a boat site I visit recommended that I get a Magellan
handheld GPS, not a Garmin.

He said the Magellan is better and that the mapping software is much
cheaper.

I really don't know hardly anything about Magellan or the Magellan
software.

Can one of you knowledgeable sailors fill me in..

Thanks

Go Lowrance. It's less expensive. It has a better warranty. It works
with maptech charting software and secure digital cards. Superior in
just about every way.

Wilbur Hubbard

I don't know about "superior in every way" and this Wilbur guy doesn't
really seem like the best or nicest poster around here, but anyway I
have a Lowrance GPS and I like it a lot too. It's the iFinder H20
Color model and I find it to offer good "bang for the buck."

richforman

ups.com...
wrote:
[...]

Good man! I also have the IFinder H20c and its features, at 250 bucks,
compare to the Garmin unit that sells for about twice that amount. A tip
of the hat to you for being a wise shopper. There are way too many
losers who buy Garmin and pay for the hefty Garmin slick advertising
gambit. You don't think all those full-page Garmin ads are paid for by
the company do you?

Wilbur Hubbard

Wilbur ,,, the Andy Rooney of boating ..

I looked at the Lowrance H2O.. I can get one fairly cheap..

What about the software? I couldn't seem to figure out the software.

Is this like Garmin ,, buy the unit and then buy the chart software ..
Garmin calls it Blue Chart of something.

Does the Lowrance come with the charting installed?

Tell me about the chart software..