Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default autohelm problem

I have an ST4000 autohelm.

I call it 'Marvin' after the character in 'Hitchhikers Guide' as it has
a brain the size of a planet, but doesn't work.

The fluxgate compass is under the steps into the cabin, well away from
metal.

When Control Head is switched on the display reads 331deg, regardless of
which way I am heading.

If I turn it to anywhere else, it will show the reading I select but
perform the same anticlockwise turn, gradually getting tighter and
tighter turn, with the helm hard over till I get fed up and turn it off.

Looking at the troubleshooting guide, I have tried to re-calibrate the
compass by putting it into calibrate mode and turning slowly 360deg thro
3 mins to no avail. Makes no difference.

I tried the 'setup' pages in the manual, but when I try to follow the
illustrations of what should be displayed, it doesn't match. Leaving me
confused.

Anyone help me out here? Does the ST4000 have issues? Google doesn't
help at all.

Any input will be gratefully received.

Molesworth

Johnson outboard problem Garland Gray II Cruising 4 July 13th 10 02:48 PM
problem with simrad radar - or mount... flying sailor Electronics 10 October 13th 06 12:53 PM
Problem with 3 hp Sears Gamefisher / Tanaka 300 dazed and confuzed Boat Building 5 January 28th 05 02:46 PM
Math Problem SkitchNYC ASA 102 March 5th 04 12:43 AM
Johnson outboard problem Garland Gray II General 10 October 3rd 03 06:45 PM