Default Boat for FREE! HUGE house batteries, great liveaboard.

"Noname" wrote in news:c2KJh.144$_f.19
@read2.cgocable.net:

Just out of interest, what do they paint subs with?

Is it some type of antifouling?

It's much nastier than that. Navy subs are painted with this really toxic
coating nothing can live on...that you're not allowed to have on your boat,
of course. It surrounds the boat in a toxic film sea life cannot tolerate.
The boats always look like they just came out of drydock. Even the green
slime doesn't stick.

Larry
--
How much price inflation is caused by illegal
aliens gobbling up goods and services, creating

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 01:52:16 +0000, Larry wrote:

Seaman Apprentice are wonderful toys the Navy bought us to play with. I
even made some of them into great technicians, those that were
interested. If they screwed up, a week on BMC Wilson's deck force
painting crew made new men out of them. When they returned to my nice,
air conditioned electronics shop, they seemed much more appreciative of
our wonderful position in the crew pecking order of things....much more
appreciative. BMC Wilson had the smile of a true pirate when I delivered
a young ETSA for "instruction" in the finer details of running a chipping
hammer and spray gun.

Larry

There's a wonderful American here at Chagaramus - Jack, who drifts
around this part of the Caribbean in semi-retirement. Last year I
helped him antifoul his boat. We didn't have enough red antifouling
and the stockist only had blue so we applied that as well, reasoning
that, being under water, it wouldn't be seen. Jack is one of those
people whom people gravitate to and seek his good advice on various
boating topics. Passersby in the yard began to enquire as to why the
multicoloured bottom paint. - Jack's dry response was that it
prevented collisions with migrating whales.

Within a week, two more boats had multicoloured anti-fouling.

I thank God for interesting people.

Peter

"Peter Hendra" wrote in message
On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 11:25:09 +0000, Larry wrote:

Peter Hendra wrote in
m:

If you arrived at a marina with only
the conning tower above water, the length on deck would mean
substantially less berthing fees

You could also tie up the conning tower, leaving the rest of the boat
sitting firmly on the bottom, fore and aft, UNDER the neighbor's
keels.
This would eliminate all that rolling motion every time the damned
fishermen waked the marina at 0400. Having the "cabin" submerged
would
also be great in summer and winter! Without the hull sitting in the
summer
sun, your cabin would stay nice and cool, totally underwater. In
winter,
only the conning tower would be out in the cold, while the hull is
ABOVE
freezing, sitting on the bottom....easier to heat.

Larry

Yes, the mind absolutely boggles with the possibilities and
advantages. As to the antifouling, I use dehydrated di-hydrogen oxide
on my hard dinghy and nothing at all grows on it. I am thinking of
using it on my new inflatable as well.

Dehydrated water = nothing. But, good try . . .

Wilbur Hubbard

Peter Hendra wrote in
:

As to the antifouling, I use dehydrated di-hydrogen oxide
on my hard dinghy and nothing at all grows on it. I am thinking of
using it on my new inflatable as well.

The might prove a problem for your Korean War Diesel Submarine. Those
damned docks can only float so much, you know...(c;

Larry
--
How much price inflation is caused by illegal
aliens gobbling up goods and services, creating
shortages for the natives? I heard 40%!

Peter Hendra wrote in
:

Yes, but at least he knew what it is. I have sent several people to
the pharmacists to buy it in the past - with understable mixed
reactions - I can run fast.

cheers
Peter

Back in the REAL Navy, we used to send newbies to Aft GSK for a fallopian
tube for the SPS-6 radar, complete with the supply requisition forms all
signed and filled out. The storekeepers, in cahoots of course, would cut
off a couple of feet of latex surgical hose and make him sign for it,
conclusively proving how stupid he was.

The puzzled newbie electronics technician striker would bring the tubing
back up to the shop, where the whole ET gang would be assembled, from the
Master Chief on down to the LAST sucker we pulled this on....giving him
an applause and a Coke for a job will done.

Unfortunately, after this trick on him, he was MUCH harder to convince he
was to stand the "Mail Bouy Midwatch" from midnight to 4AM, watching for
our mail bouy from the carrier to go by so we could snatch it....(c;

Seaman Apprentice are wonderful toys the Navy bought us to play with. I
even made some of them into great technicians, those that were
interested. If they screwed up, a week on BMC Wilson's deck force
painting crew made new men out of them. When they returned to my nice,
air conditioned electronics shop, they seemed much more appreciative of
our wonderful position in the crew pecking order of things....much more
appreciative. BMC Wilson had the smile of a true pirate when I delivered
a young ETSA for "instruction" in the finer details of running a chipping
hammer and spray gun.

You guys would have LOVED Chief Wilson. He was a master diver to clean
the hull and damned proud of it. He'd even dive into a sewer like
Naples, Italy's harbor! THAT takes a brave man!

Larry
--
Anybody here been a Navy Pollywog?