Default MOST interesting Ebooks for boaters....

I'm downloading from alt.binaries.e-book.technical as I type this. Here
are the subject fields of some I think you cruisers might find most
interesting:

MISC 04 -- "American Practical Navigator - N. Bowditch (1995) WW.pdf"
MISC 04 -- "A Short Guide to Celestial Navigation (2006) WW.pdf"
MISC 04 -- "Ford 1932 Automobile Manuals WW.pdf" (just for fun)
MISC 04 -- "Handbook of Knots and Splices - C. Gibson (1995) WW.pdf"
MISC 05 -- (in this section is a whole bunch of PADI dive books)
MISC 05 -- "The Biodiesel Handbook - G. Knothe, J. van Gerpen (2005) WW.pdf
MISC 06 -- "Boat Crew Seamanship Manual - US Coast Guard WW.pdf"
MISC 06 -- "CIA Lock Picking Field Operative Training Manual WW.pdf"
(in case the boat across the pier is locked and you're out of beer)
MISC 08 -- "Lloyd's Maritime Atlas [world ports and shipping places]
MISC 16 -- "Explosives 5th ed - R. Meyer, J Kohler, A. Homburg (Wiley...
(remember those pirates that killed those boaters in the islands?)
MISC 17 -- "The Ashley Book of Knots - C. Ashley (1993)

There are many others. The list above was posted Saturday and Sunday so
should be fresh on any server.

There's a repost of earler MISC files posted Friday including:

REPOST - MISC 01 -- "A Guide to the Collision Avoidance Rules 6th ed.
(shiphandling) - A. Cockcroft, J Larrneijer (2004)
and many more like the California boating course in this REPORT group.

Back on 2/13/07, there were a pile of fiberglassing books posted that all
started with:
REQ: Any books on -----basic or advanced fiberglass work, preferably
boat repair-----Here are some.............etc.
The poster was answering an REQ (request) for these books. Looks like
about 40 fiberglass books in the collection! Topics included:
Fiberglass Repair
Gelcoat Repair
Catalysts
Reinforcements
Epoxy
Gelcoat troubleshooting
Composites
Mold construction
Plug Surface Prep
Safety
Mold polishing
That should be of interest to the group, even if you're not the one going
to do the work. I never hurts to know what's going on as the boatyard rips
you off, right?..(c;

I'm still using Xnews to post text to Usenet as I'm comfortable with it, if
for no other reason. But, alas, the other day I downloaded freeware
"Grabit 1.6.2" from shemes.com to try it out. The hard drive space has
suffered something awful! Grabit has a similar message list, nicely
compiled and threaded like Xnews does. You click and drag the subject
field to highlight a bunch of articles you want (use CTRL + click-and-drag
if they're not in line) (or a whole movie in rar file parts, for instance)
then click the Grabit button at the top and pray you don't get run over!
Grabit instantly opens THREE files on THREE ports at once and hogs every
tiny bit of bandwidth it can find to work on the "Batch", as they call it,
while you go on highlighting and Grabit cacheing more files down the list.
It downloads in less than 1/2 the time of Xnews, which only uses one port
at a time and wastes bandwidth between parts waiting for the server to
respond. Grabit does no such thing. It's very easy to use. It downloads
to its own cache directory, then decodes and stores to your designated
download directory, anywhere on your system.....

I'm running out of DVD+Rs again....(c;

Larry
--
BANDWIDTH is our friend......and a terrible thing to let go to waste....

Larry wrote in news:Xns98EABDC40CBAAnoonehomecom@
208.49.80.253:

I'm downloading from alt.binaries.e-book.technical as I type this

Just as a warning......

It's probably best NOT to download and read most of the books on Gynecology
and female urology from this newsgroup.....then crawl in bed with "her",
laying there on your back having nightmares about what she MIGHT have that
you've just read about......hee hee...(c;

How can something so warm and wonderful be so GROSS?!!

Larry
--
Have a little fun in the checkout line....
Ask the nearest American, "Did you see the ICE
dt dt is offline

Larry wrote:

[...]

Yepyepyep. Why, if I did that kind of thing, I'd quickly run out of
hard drive and have to invest in a 250 gig external. If your ISP
doesn't allow access to binaries, check out teranews.com and/or
bubbanews.com . Either one will give you a "free" ($3.95 setup fee)
account, and let you download 50Meg/day. Or you could sign up for both,
and download 100Meg/day. There's also something called newsguy.com ,
with pretty resonable prices.

One of the things I like about Grabit is the ability to go to the batch,
right-click and tell it "Download with a different server". Newsguy
doesn't count downloading headers against your available bandwidth,
teranews does (not sure about bubbanews). So I download all the headers
from Newsguy, pick the files I want while "download" is paused, then
download from tera or bubba until my bandwidth runs out.

Oh, and you might keep an eye on your "Temp" directory. Every now and
then Grabit has a tendency to load it up with no-longer-needed files. I
think I deleted 18 gig or so the first time I noticed it. Grabit also
will let you

Say, Larry--any suggestions on how to combine/decode the PDFs I run
across occasionally, that've been broken into three or four files
(*PDF.001, *PDF.002, etc)? The parts won't open, and nothing I've tried
puts Humpty back together.

DT

dt wrote in news:esk837$331$1
@geraldo.cc.utexas.edu:

Yepyepyep. Why, if I did that kind of thing, I'd quickly run out of
hard drive and have to invest in a 250 gig external. If your ISP
doesn't allow access to binaries, check out teranews.com and/or
bubbanews.com . Either one will give you a "free" ($3.95 setup fee)
account, and let you download 50Meg/day. Or you could sign up for

both,
and download 100Meg/day. There's also something called newsguy.com ,
with pretty resonable prices.

Now, there's only ONE really good, UNLIMITED usenet server....
http://www.usenetserver.com/
$15/mo or 3 months for $40 gets you UNlimited downloads on TEN
simultaneous ports over a wide variety of ports and routes. UNlimited
means NO gigabyte limit and NO download speed cap..except your cable/DSL
modem cap, of course. They have just, once again, added a massive new
stack of servers and drives! Retention is 100 days! Completeness is
99.9%, if the uploader was successful, of course. DIRECT response from
UNS ENGINEERS, not script readers, comes on newsgroup
usenetserver.support for fast access in case there's trouble. These guys
are amazing. NOONE beats UNS. I download 24/7/365 (ask Skip..(c.
Want to request adding a group to UNS not listed in its massive newsgroup
list? Just ask in the support newsgroup and Stephen, or one of the other
engineers, will tell you to wait a few hours until it backfills on the
server. NOONE is better at adding new groups than UNS.

UNS also has a massive search engine for you with your subscription. See
webpage for details.

ISP blocking port 119 to prevent you from using an outside service and
using BANDWIDTH? Not a problem. There's a whole list of crazy ports UNS
answers. ISP can't block 'em all...(c;

The other thing is look at my header of this message. Notice my IP
address is NOT listed in the header so you can easily put me in your bot
for a DoS attack. You're easy to jam at:
geraldo.cc.utexas.edu 1173201831 3169 128.83.70.4
which came out of your header. Not so anonymous that way. UNS keeps no
download records to subpoenae, if it comes to that....

One of the things I like about Grabit is the ability to go to the

batch,
right-click and tell it "Download with a different server". Newsguy
doesn't count downloading headers against your available bandwidth,
teranews does (not sure about bubbanews). So I download all the

headers
from Newsguy, pick the files I want while "download" is paused, then
download from tera or bubba until my bandwidth runs out.

Screw all that fooling around the GB limits. Just order Usenetserver.com
from the webpage and head out to Newegg for more hard drives and massive
spindles of DVD+Rs...You'll need 'em..(c;

Oh, and you might keep an eye on your "Temp" directory. Every now and
then Grabit has a tendency to load it up with no-longer-needed files.

think I deleted 18 gig or so the first time I noticed it. Grabit also
will let you

On the Grabit forums, there's several references to a recent bug they
programmed in trying to be cutesy. I bumped into another one where it
seems to lose its place where it downloaded the file to and can't find it
to decode it.....all of them after a point for hours. Hope he fixes that
one, too.

Say, Larry--any suggestions on how to combine/decode the PDFs I run
across occasionally, that've been broken into three or four files
(*PDF.001, *PDF.002, etc)? The parts won't open, and nothing I've

tried
puts Humpty back together.

You need three external programs, two are free, WinRAR is not.....

Sequentially numbered files are easily assembled with MasterSplitter.
http://www.tomasoft.com/mswin95.htm
They'll let you shareware it before you buy it. It sharewares forever.
It also will split large files, like movies, so you can put them on small
media, like CDRs. When it splits a file, it creates an automatic batch
file to reassemble it without Mastersplitter. For these files you're
downloading, just point MasterSplitter to the .001 file (Mastersplitter
registers itself to handle .001 files so just doubleclick on the .001
file and it boots and runs.) You simply tell the popup window where you
want the resultant combined file stored.

I'm a great fan of QuickPar to run the PAR parity checking and recovery
files. QuickPar is freeware from:
http://www.quickpar.org.uk/
Many posters, now used to including PAR or PAR2 file sets to go with
their large download files, will INCLUDE the main, assembled file in
their PAR set creation, but not post it, posting only the .001, .002
parts. However, if they've done it this way, when QuickPar runs on the
par set, it finds the original file missing, of course, and just running
QuickPar on it will RECOVER the ASSEMBLED original binary file, without
running MasterSplitter. QuickPar is REALLY quick, much faster than
MasterSplitter or other splitter programs I've run. It can recover whole
missing parts that got scrambled in transmission or even omitted. Just
install Quickpar then doubleclick on any PAR file of the set and Quickpar
will open. Configure it after it opens and does one to AUTOMATICALLY
repair files, if they need it, so you don't have to tell it each time.
When it has recreated a fouled or missing part, it renumbers the old
parts starting with .1, .2, .3 extensions and creates a perfect,
originally-number part for MasterSplitter or a RAR set.....

Speaking of RAR file sets, like part01.rar, part02.rar...or....r01,
..r01, .r03, you need a fantastic proprietary program called WinRAR from
http://www.rarlabs.com/, which is not free. It will run for 30 days,
then you must buy a license for a pittance. "Proprietary" means there
are no freebie clones of WinRAR to decode/correct/assemble RAR sets. The
movie uploaders are 99.5% WinRAR posters. WinRAR is error correcting,
but you must still have a whole RAR set, so PAR files accompany RAR set
files for error corrections and omissions so it will work. WinRAR
installation attaches WinRAR to .rar and .r01, .r02 file types so you
simply double click on the part01.rar or .r01 file and Winrar goes to
work. One of WinRAR's really nice features is you may run many
simultaneous copies of the program on many rarsets at once. They are all
interconnected as they boot from doubleclicking the first part and all
subsequent parts WAIT until the part that's extracting is completed, then
the next in line starts extracting, instantly. I sometimes have 20-30
winrar sets qued up to extract big movies at once, limited by how much
RAM you have onboard. The program demands are very small, making it very
fast. A 1.4GB DivX movie extracts in about 2 minutes from a standard IDE
drive. What limits WinRARs extraction is the speed of your hard drives.
If Winrar fails on a set, run Quickpar on its par file then run Winrar
again and it decodes/extracts fine. The output file is the original file
music/movie/ebook/pdf, whatever.

Use Google to find the best prices on massive hard drives. 250GB might
be OK for an MP3 player...(c; I'm sitting atop 2.8TB, here, a mixture of
IDE and SATA direct drives. USB drives are too slow...(c; Once I've
seen or gotten bored with a file, I move it to DVD+R (with 5 other DivX
format movies, for permanent storage. Music is catalogged with MP3
Catalog Pro from some Russians at http://www.wizetech.com/ This is the
fastest, by a long margin, MP3 catalogging and searching program I ever
found. You can ask it for anything in a catalogged set of hard drives
and its massive catalog is all in RAM for instant access. Some chick in
painted-on jeans walks up to me, the DJ, at a party and asks to look for
a song by "XXXXXXXX". I type XXXXXXXX into MP3CatPro and it returns all
songs, no matter where they are located. "Oh, I want that one!", she
pants into my ear as I drag her selection over into Winamp's playlist to
play next through the 1400 watt thunderous monsters. I can usually get
it over there without dropping it as her cleavage causes my sight to go
out of focus in that halter top....(c;

I have a master movie list simply kept in Notepad as a list. It prints
out to 84 pages, single spaced, now... I show them to her, later at my
place if I get lucky.....(sigh)

The DJ box runs off two 500GB Maxtor USB hard drives plugged into a
Gateway AMD Turion 2.8Ghz laptop. The laptop's smooth DC power has no
ground loop hum or hiss, whatsoever, plugged into a channel of my simple
DJ mixer. Winamp is the MP3 player, with SqrSoft's great crossfader,
using Sound Solution's 5-band, 6-stage intensive processor. The
processor is a software copy of the finest broadcast companders ever made
and take a lot of CPU time, but is well worth it. The little DJ board
plugs into a QSC 1450 watt stereo prosound amp driving 2 or 4 15"
cabinets I buy blown and restore with Emminence's finest high powered
speakers. The cabinets were changed from 8 ohm to 4 ohm when restored so
the amp driving two cabinets outputs the full 700W RMS per channel if all
4 boxes are hooked to it. Locking wheels keep them from moving around
the dancefloor. I can fill any size club or parking lot....(c; Even the
teenagers are impressed.

Larry
dt dt is offline

Larry wrote:

dt wrote in news:esk837$331$1
@geraldo.cc.utexas.edu:

[...]

Sounds good, but I don't think I could find that much I wanted to
download if I *did* do it 24/7. Not that I *do* download, but if I did...

The other thing is look at my header of this message. Notice my IP
address is NOT listed in the header so you can easily put me in your bot
for a DoS attack. You're easy to jam at:
geraldo.cc.utexas.edu 1173201831 3169 128.83.70.4
which came out of your header. Not so anonymous that way. UNS keeps no
download records to subpoenae, if it comes to that....

Well, if I *did* download, I wouldn't do it from here, either. ;-)

[...]

Hey, I'm impressed! I'll try Mastersplitter and Quickpar, been running
WinRar for awhile now. Thanks!

DT

dt wrote in news:eskpu6$bcm$1
@geraldo.cc.utexas.edu:

Hey, I'm impressed! I'll try Mastersplitter and Quickpar, been running
WinRar for awhile now. Thanks!

DT

Yeah, you're on your way to becoming a file whore like me....just not as
advanced a case yet....

If they took away Usenet binaries, I'd simply take their modem back and
be off the net. Everything else is just like TV....SPAM.

I'm very fortunate to have Knology Cable, here in Charleston. There are
two cable companies to choose from, Comcrap or Knology. It's a no
brainer who to choose. Comcrap gives you 2GB/month on Giganews and sends
you threatening letters if you DARE use the bandwidth they brag about.
Knology INCLUDES unlimited service on Usenetserver.com's stack...even has
a DIRECT fiber link to it because they're in the same building in
Atlanta! I'm only 23ms from the knology port on the contract ISP server
which is never maxed out. Service is amazing!

Larry
--
Have a little fun in the checkout line....
Ask the nearest American, "Did you see the ICE
agents chasing those Mexicans out the back door?"
....Shortens that checkout line right up...(c;
dt dt is offline

Larry wrote:

dt wrote in news:eskpu6$bcm$1
@geraldo.cc.utexas.edu:

[...]

Right now, I would have two limiting factors:
1. when could I access a wifi network?
2. is there really that much out there that interests me? ;-)
If I did that sort of thing.

If I ever get fulltime broadband access, however, who knows? I might
turn out just like you. If I did that sort of thing.

DT

I recall that bbs's always had usenet access. but it was slow...
ISP's [dialup] started fading it out. still slow...

When I got broadband [Comcrap monopoly here] it had a
1gig limit [4 hours] and you had to give your Comcrap userID and PW
to a third party [Giganews, I think] and if you went over 1 gig, they
didn't stop you, or tell you, but they charged you [LOTS] through
your Comcrap bill.

But all that is in the past now, everything we could ever want has
already been filtered and diverted to Larry's hard drive!!! If we
could just get him to run an FTPServer...
What-da-ya-think? Huh, Larry, huh? huh? please?

tom
=-==

On Mar 5, 11:38 pm, Larry wrote:
[...]

"tlindly" wrote in news:1173257074.409904.315900
@q40g2000cwq.googlegroups.com:

could just get him to run an FTPServer...

Put it out of your mind. An FTP server on port 21 has a life expectancy of
around 4 hours before the scanbots attack it, relentlessly, from NL and RU,
normally....thousands of connects to "admin" per minute.

I still got the T-shirt...(c;

Larry
--
How much price inflation is caused by illegal
aliens gobbling up goods and services, creating

Actually, I was thinking of EFTP [a server and client, matched!]
http://www.encrypted-ftp.com/buy.html
I swear it was free last time I looked, still cheap though.

Good part is -
pick your own port, and
IP ban after X-badloginattempts
Still occasionally attacked when I ran this, very brief though, all
logged.
It even worked for me from within my employers firewall
[did I say that out-loud? I mean it WOULD HAVE worked
if I'd've been evil enough to try it...]

still I reckon to risky to espose your HD here...

On Mar 7, 11:22 pm, Larry wrote:
"tlindly" wrote in news:1173257074.409904.315900
@q40g2000cwq.googlegroups.com:

could just get him to run an FTPServer...

Put it out of your mind. An FTP server on port 21 has a life expectancy of
around 4 hours before the scanbots attack it, relentlessly, from NL and RU,
normally....thousands of connects to "admin" per minute.

I still got the T-shirt...(c;

Larry
--
How much price inflation is caused by illegal
aliens gobbling up goods and services, creating
shortages for the natives? I heard 40%!

A visit with an interesting guy who builds an interesting boat.... [email protected] General 8 June 16th 06 04:46 AM
Interesting take on 911. Capt. Rob ASA 8 May 6th 06 02:54 AM
Interesting plug for sailing felton ASA 3 March 17th 04 07:29 PM
O.T. Interesting History Lesson RGrew176 General 2 March 2nd 04 07:18 AM