Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default MOST interesting Ebooks for boaters....

I'm downloading from alt.binaries.e-book.technical as I type this. Here
are the subject fields of some I think you cruisers might find most
interesting:

MISC 04 -- "American Practical Navigator - N. Bowditch (1995) WW.pdf"
MISC 04 -- "A Short Guide to Celestial Navigation (2006) WW.pdf"
MISC 04 -- "Ford 1932 Automobile Manuals WW.pdf" (just for fun)
MISC 04 -- "Handbook of Knots and Splices - C. Gibson (1995) WW.pdf"
MISC 05 -- (in this section is a whole bunch of PADI dive books)
MISC 05 -- "The Biodiesel Handbook - G. Knothe, J. van Gerpen (2005) WW.pdf
MISC 06 -- "Boat Crew Seamanship Manual - US Coast Guard WW.pdf"
MISC 06 -- "CIA Lock Picking Field Operative Training Manual WW.pdf"
(in case the boat across the pier is locked and you're out of beer)
MISC 08 -- "Lloyd's Maritime Atlas [world ports and shipping places]
MISC 16 -- "Explosives 5th ed - R. Meyer, J Kohler, A. Homburg (Wiley...
(remember those pirates that killed those boaters in the islands?)
MISC 17 -- "The Ashley Book of Knots - C. Ashley (1993)

There are many others. The list above was posted Saturday and Sunday so
should be fresh on any server.

There's a repost of earler MISC files posted Friday including:

REPOST - MISC 01 -- "A Guide to the Collision Avoidance Rules 6th ed.
(shiphandling) - A. Cockcroft, J Larrneijer (2004)
and many more like the California boating course in this REPORT group.

Back on 2/13/07, there were a pile of fiberglassing books posted that all
started with:
REQ: Any books on -----basic or advanced fiberglass work, preferably
boat repair-----Here are some.............etc.
The poster was answering an REQ (request) for these books. Looks like
about 40 fiberglass books in the collection! Topics included:
Fiberglass Repair
Gelcoat Repair
Catalysts
Reinforcements
Epoxy
Gelcoat troubleshooting
Composites
Mold construction
Plug Surface Prep
Safety
Mold polishing
That should be of interest to the group, even if you're not the one going
to do the work. I never hurts to know what's going on as the boatyard rips
you off, right?..(c;

I'm still using Xnews to post text to Usenet as I'm comfortable with it, if
for no other reason. But, alas, the other day I downloaded freeware
"Grabit 1.6.2" from shemes.com to try it out. The hard drive space has
suffered something awful! Grabit has a similar message list, nicely
compiled and threaded like Xnews does. You click and drag the subject
field to highlight a bunch of articles you want (use CTRL + click-and-drag
if they're not in line) (or a whole movie in rar file parts, for instance)
then click the Grabit button at the top and pray you don't get run over!
Grabit instantly opens THREE files on THREE ports at once and hogs every
tiny bit of bandwidth it can find to work on the "Batch", as they call it,
while you go on highlighting and Grabit cacheing more files down the list.
It downloads in less than 1/2 the time of Xnews, which only uses one port
at a time and wastes bandwidth between parts waiting for the server to
respond. Grabit does no such thing. It's very easy to use. It downloads
to its own cache directory, then decodes and stores to your designated
download directory, anywhere on your system.....

I'm running out of DVD+Rs again....(c;

Larry
--
BANDWIDTH is our friend......and a terrible thing to let go to waste....

A visit with an interesting guy who builds an interesting boat.... [email protected] General 8 June 16th 06 04:46 AM
Interesting take on 911. Capt. Rob ASA 8 May 6th 06 02:54 AM
Interesting plug for sailing felton ASA 3 March 17th 04 07:29 PM
O.T. Interesting History Lesson RGrew176 General 2 March 2nd 04 07:18 AM