CB CB is offline

Default repair cracked bronze fitting

I disassembled my tiller / rudder assembly the other day and the
bronze tillerhead
has developed a crack. It's not the end of the world but I wouldn't
mind getting it fixed. The fitting is a good solid 3 pound piece. What
are my options here in terms of metallurgical whatever? Welding?
Brazing? What am I looking for in the yellow pages basically?

Thanks for any pointers,

-CB

"CB" wrote in message
oups.com...

I disassembled my tiller / rudder assembly the other day and the
bronze tillerhead
has developed a crack. It's not the end of the world but I wouldn't
mind getting it fixed. The fitting is a good solid 3 pound piece. What
are my options here in terms of metallurgical whatever? Welding?
Brazing? What am I looking for in the yellow pages basically?

Thanks for any pointers,

-CB

Any decent welder should be able to repair it -- grind and fill with brazing
rod.

"CB" wrote in message
oups.com...

I disassembled my tiller / rudder assembly the other day and the
bronze tillerhead
has developed a crack. It's not the end of the world but I wouldn't
mind getting it fixed. The fitting is a good solid 3 pound piece. What
are my options here in terms of metallurgical whatever? Welding?
Brazing? What am I looking for in the yellow pages basically?

Thanks for any pointers,

-CB

you're looking for a welding shop, but an old school one. The shop will
likely more resemble a junk yard than a precision lab ;-) If you live in a
smaller own you're probably in luck as any shop in a small town usually has
to be able to do anything. brazing or gas welding or TIG will be the
options, leave it up to the guy who does it. If you live in a bigger city,
shops tend to be more specialized, so call around. If a place cant do it
they can probably reccomend someone who does. Prices will vary wildly,
could be anything from a few hundred dollars, to a six pack.

Shaun

Shaun Van Poecke wrote:
"CB" wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

I second that. Years ago I snapped a blade off my 2-bladed prop. The repair
was carried out by a crew member whose sole occupation was selling welding
equipment. The repair lasted the life of the boat and I believe is still in
use to this day.

Dennis.

Yea, any decent welder should be able to fix it. Tractor / farm
equipment repair shops would be especially good, since they don't
charge "Marine" prices! :-) You can actually do it yoursell with a
MAPP torch and brazing rods. Probably worth buying anyway... at least
you'll have it for any future needs.

CB CB is offline

On Mar 1, 7:23 am, "Keith" wrote:
Yea, any decent welder should be able to fix it. Tractor / farm
equipment repair shops would be especially good, since they don't
charge "Marine" prices! :-) You can actually do it yoursell with a
MAPP torch and brazing rods. Probably worth buying anyway... at least
you'll have it for any future needs.

Thanks for everyone's comments. In fact with these in mind I found
place here in the city that should be able to do it (and some of my
aluminum issues too). Montreal area, United Welding Processes.

Cheers! now if the only the snow would melt..

-CB

CB, et. al.

For what its worth, my wife and I have been taking TIG welding classes
and we recently purchased a Miller 200DX TIG welder that runs on either
220VAC or 110VAC, will weld stainless or aluminum, will also work as a
standard arc welder, is about the size of a old IBM personal computer,
and weighs less than 30lbs.

It has some amazing features, like "lift arc" which allows you to start
welding by touching the electrode to the piece, then lifting it away to
begin create the arc. Incredibly easy to use, beautiful welder. It
comes with a "contractor's kit" that has pretty much everything you need
to get started, and you can also get an optional "thumb switch" that
attaches to the rod instead of a foot switch, although I'm less
impressed with it's feel/control.

Although we, as newbie TIG welders, are anything but proficient with it,
(lots of stick, some MIG, some gas) it has been an amazing amount of fun
and easy to handle.

At this point we are seriously considering taking it along cruising. A
bit pricey as tools go, but perhaps it will also generate some income
for us.

Robb