Default Satisfy the urge without the splurge

In article ,
Charlie Morgan wrote:

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 00:03:20 GMT, Jere Lull wrote:

In article . com,
"Bob" wrote:

That's the poorest plan I've ever heard. For those who are math
impaired, let me simplify. NEVER sell an appreciating asset to
purchase a depreciating asset.

GREAT words.

But a house is not an investment. Historically, their value tracks
inflation IF they're maintained. If not, they depreciate. Then there's
having to return to pay taxes and such. It's a long dock line.

You haven't really thought this through.

Oh, but we have....

We have been absentee landlords. Pat's family, who were on site, renting
their own properties, worked for *very* reasonable rates. Not for us.
Return sucked.

And very few can manage to beat inflation in straight real estate if
they're not doing it actively. Yeah, we can buy, fix and flip, but not
while we're out cruising. [That's one of our fallbacks, though, as we
like fixing things.]

I do know investing, since I've been programming the biz for a few
decades. That knowledge is a factor in our considerations.

We'll always own a home, be it afloat or on shore, but I'd prefer not to
have two at the same time.

--
Jere Lull
Xan's NEW Pages: http://web.mac.com/jerelull/iWeb/Xan/