Parallax

Default Haulin' A** nchor

While hauling my anchor recently, I realized that at some point in the
future I would be arthritis ridden enough to lust for a windless
instead of the cutie on the next boat. Since I hate silly gadgets I
will resist as long as possible so here is USELESS IDEA #3721:

A Gibbs Ascender is a device used in vertical caving that slides one
way on a rope and not the other way, sort of like a cam cleat with a
shell around it. Have a heavy duty version made for an anchor rode
from stainless steel. Attach about 50' of 1/2" braided line to it and
lead the braided line to one of your winches through a fairlead. Take
3 wraps on the winch and pull in 3', take off the wraps and the weight
causes it to slide down the anchor rode, take 3 more wraps and
repeat........
Jeff Morris

A cute idea, but I'd get the windlass. (In fact, I did.)

The gotcha is that the hard part of the rode to haul is the last 50 feet plus the anchor.
This is the section that is usually chain, so you'd need an ascender that works on chain.

"Parallax" wrote in message
om...
While hauling my anchor recently, I realized that at some point in the
future I would be arthritis ridden enough to lust for a windless
instead of the cutie on the next boat. Since I hate silly gadgets I
will resist as long as possible so here is USELESS IDEA #3721:

A Gibbs Ascender is a device used in vertical caving that slides one
way on a rope and not the other way, sort of like a cam cleat with a
shell around it. Have a heavy duty version made for an anchor rode
from stainless steel. Attach about 50' of 1/2" braided line to it and
lead the braided line to one of your winches through a fairlead. Take
3 wraps on the winch and pull in 3', take off the wraps and the weight
causes it to slide down the anchor rode, take 3 more wraps and
repeat........

Bruce

This is one of the most dangerous ideas I have seen in a while on this
newsgroup. Here is a very typical scenario. Husband and wife on 45'
boat...wind blowing 20K(standard for the islands). Chain is retrieved
using the suggested idea to the point where the scope is 2 to 1 or less.
Anchor unsets and starts to drag. Now he drags over the scope of the boat
behind his and entangles his anchor.....SMASH there goes the front of the
boat that didn't try to cut corners, had all the proper equipment, minding
his own business and we now have two bent boats and a lawsuit. Not to
mention the possibility of those two boats, tangled like two lovebugs, go
smashing into a third boat. Lesson....pay for the proper equipment to
accommodate your handicap or don't leave the dock.
My two cents
Bruce

"Jeff Morris" jeffmo@NoSpam-sv-lokiDOTcom wrote in message
A cute idea, but I'd get the windlass. (In fact, I did.)

The gotcha is that the hard part of the rode to haul is the last 50 feet

plus the anchor.
This is the section that is usually chain, so you'd need an ascender that

works on chain.

"Parallax" wrote in message
om...
While hauling my anchor recently, I realized that at some point in the
future I would be arthritis ridden enough to lust for a windless
instead of the cutie on the next boat. Since I hate silly gadgets I
will resist as long as possible so here is USELESS IDEA #3721:

A Gibbs Ascender is a device used in vertical caving that slides one
way on a rope and not the other way, sort of like a cam cleat with a
shell around it. Have a heavy duty version made for an anchor rode
from stainless steel. Attach about 50' of 1/2" braided line to it and
lead the braided line to one of your winches through a fairlead. Take
3 wraps on the winch and pull in 3', take off the wraps and the weight
causes it to slide down the anchor rode, take 3 more wraps and
repeat........

TobagoFlyr

This is one of the most dangerous ideas I have seen in a while on this
newsgroup.

I agree, except maybe for the portable generator mounted in the engine room.

The best big money I ever spent on my boat was for a windless. Even my wife
agrees.
Ted Edwards
Chatham Bound

Jere Lull

Parallax wrote:

While hauling my anchor recently, I realized that at some point in the
future I would be arthritis ridden enough to lust for a windless
instead of the cutie on the next boat. Since I hate silly gadgets I
will resist as long as possible so here is USELESS IDEA #3721:

A Gibbs Ascender is a device used in vertical caving that slides one
way on a rope and not the other way, sort of like a cam cleat with a
shell around it. Have a heavy duty version made for an anchor rode
from stainless steel. Attach about 50' of 1/2" braided line to it and
lead the braided line to one of your winches through a fairlead. Take
3 wraps on the winch and pull in 3', take off the wraps and the weight
causes it to slide down the anchor rode, take 3 more wraps and
repeat........

File it under #3721. It'd be faster and easier to put the anchor rode
directly on a winch. Even better: have the first mate drive the boat up
to the anchor so you don't have to pull the boat forward.

--
Jere Lull

Jere Lull

Parallax wrote:

(TobagoFlyr) wrote in message ...

This is one of the most dangerous ideas I have seen in a while on this
newsgroup.

I agree, except maybe for the portable generator mounted in the engine room.

The best big money I ever spent on my boat was for a windless. Even my wife
agrees.
Ted Edwards
Chatham Bound

Bruce:

Same thing could happen if you were pullin up the anchor by hand or
even with a windlass. In fact, windlasses I have seen are damned
slow.

My real intention was to break the anchor the last few feet when it is
really stuck. I rarely anchor by other ppl anyway.

What happens if Bruce's windlass fuse blows ath a critical moment? My
system aint got any fuses so seems more reliable. I dont consider a
windlass to be proper equipment, its just another gadget waitin to
fail.

As I said previously, drive up to the anchor. Then those other things
won't happen. Hauling 25' or so of chain isn't that tough if there's no
other strain. When it goes vertical, snub what you have. Usually, the
boat's momentum will free the anchor. If not, put the engine in gear
again and drive forward. That hasn't failed us yet.

--
Jere Lull