Default Pactor modem

Hey all,

I'm interested in purchasing a pactor modem to connect to my SSB for
email. I understand that there has recently been an upgrade from "II"
to "III" (2 to 3) in terms of the protocol release and associated
hardware. What I don't understand is if it is possible to buy the
latest version modem at this newer release or if one can only purchase a
pactorII modem and must then upgrade. The few sites I've found don't
seem to offer the first option.

Also, can anyone recommend a specific vendor, and/or any installation
tips and/or suggestions regarding software to accomplish this. I've
been led to believe that there are a few different software products out
there (sailmail, airmail, winlink, etc.), I'm wondering if a specific
S/W product requires a specific vendor's modem?

Sorry if I've misconstrued the topics, I've just started looking at all
this and am a bit confused by it. I currently have an ICOM 802, and
antenna tuner, and a back stay antenna. Any insight or advice would be
most appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Robb

First off there are 2 web sites that you should go to.

http://www.scs-ptc.com/ is the web site for the hardware. They have
pointers to vendors based upon your location.

http://www.sailmail.com/ describes AirMail/SailMail. In particular, you
should read the Primer which explains everything in great detail. You
can use the AirMail program with both the commercial SailMail service
and the ham based WinLink.

You ***REALLY*** want to have the Pactor III software. It's amazingly
faster than the II software. Don't even think about not getting it.

I've been a SailMail subscriber since 1999 and the SailMail software has
seen significant upgrades. That combined with the SCS-PTC software
upgrades has made it very usable and robust.

If you have a ham license you can utilize the WinLink service, but you
are not allowed to conduct business over it. I'm sure that lots of
people ignore that fact, but it's a rule. Since I need to conduct
business while cruising, I've stuck with SailMail. You have unlimited
connection time using WinLink.

SailMail limits you to 90 minutes of connect time over a 7 day period.
I send lots of e-mail and have never run into problems once the PTC-III
software came out.

There's a Weather Fax program that is a companion to AirMail. It
provides the software to collect faxes over the Pactor and view them.
You can also request GRIB files and display them. Once again, all of
this is detailed in the Primer listed above.

-- Geoff

AMPowers wrote in
. net:

[...]

Pactor III is about a $150 software upgrade. The new modems come with it
installed in demo mode that will give you just enough time to get your mouth
watering. I think when you order the upgrade they just give you a key to
unlock it. Be careful about buying used modems. I understand some of the
older IIe and all the II models can't handle Pactor III unless they get a
factory replacement of the BIOS.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"AMPowers" wrote in message
[...]

Units without an electronic serial number (manufactured before 2002) have
to be sent into a dealer or SCS for the upgrade. I believe that this costs
about $100.

-- Geoff

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in
:

On Feb 10, 8:22 am, Geoff Schultz wrote:
Units without an electronic serial number (manufactured before 2002) have
to be sent into a dealer or SCS for the upgrade. I believe that this costs
about $100.

I've got one of those older IIe's and it is upgradeable to III for a
certain number of call signs (four?) without factory service. Still,
these older units are getting, well, old, so SCS may not be doing the
upgrade for them any more.

-- Tom.

Check these guys out: http://www.sea-tech.com/
Very good, sell entire systems or individual components.

On 12 Feb 2007 05:56:30 -0800, "Keith"
wrote:

Check these guys out: http://www.sea-tech.com/
Very good, sell entire systems or individual components.

Check this site also:

http://docksideradio.com/

Gary did my Pactor installation since he lives nearby, and he is very
experienced.