Default Protecting the polished brass?

Several years ago we had a good discussion here about overcoating your
polished brass fixtures belowdecks. It wasn't varnish, but a space-age goop
that would keep your brasswork looking good forever--without having to
repolish.

Anybody remember the name of the product? I can't, but I need desperately
to know. I have a dear wife who's willing to polish the brass (in our Lord
Nelson Victory Tug, and there's a LOT of it) if she only has to do it once.
Yes, yes, I could always get another wife, but this one's a keeper. (We
celebrate 50 years in June.)

Sorry about the geriatric memory here. I should have made a note. Maybe I
did, but I forgot where I put it.....

Help, help, and TIA.

Dick Behan

"R.W. Behan" wrote in
om:

but I forgot where I put it.....

Clear Krylon....works great. Highly polish the brass to a fine shine,
clean the polish off really well before spraying Krylon on it. Amazing
look.

Larry
--
VIRUS ALERT! VISTA has been released!
NOONE will be spared!

Yes, Krylon is ok. Or if you can find it, Incralac, specifically formulated
with a benzotriazol tarnish inhibitor and with resins chosen to adhere well
to brass and resist weathering. Like Krylon, once it starts to go you will
have some extra work cleaning it off before repolishing and applying another
coating but it should last longer than Krylon. Either one should help a lot
because any clear coating will make a big difference in the rate the brass
picks up fingerprints and spots from salt spray.

Scott

"Larry" wrote in message
"R.W. Behan" wrote in
om:

but I forgot where I put it.....

Clear Krylon....works great. Highly polish the brass to a fine shine,
clean the polish off really well before spraying Krylon on it. Amazing
look.

Larry
-- snip

R.W. Behan, in article
, says...
Several years ago we had a good discussion here about overcoating your
polished brass fixtures belowdecks. It wasn't varnish, but a space-age goop
that would keep your brasswork looking good forever--without having to
repolish.

Anybody remember the name of the product? I can't, but I need desperately
to know. I have a dear wife who's willing to polish the brass (in our Lord
Nelson Victory Tug, and there's a LOT of it) if she only has to do it once.
Yes, yes, I could always get another wife, but this one's a keeper. (We
celebrate 50 years in June.)

Sorry about the geriatric memory here. I should have made a note. Maybe I
did, but I forgot where I put it.....

I'm testing Renaissance Wax on my brasswork and initial
impressions are positive. I wanted a finish that was easy to
renew without the problem of removing the old finish, as with
most paint-on type finishes. I initially thought these would
be a good idea but found them needing refurbishing after a few
years, due to wear, UV, etc..

Try Google. One source with a good description is:
http://www.woodfinishsupply.com/RenWax.html
--
JohnW.
Replace nospam with the first 3 letters of the current month

"scott" wrote in
:

Either one should help a lot
because any clear coating will make a big difference in the rate the
brass picks up fingerprints and spots from salt spray.

Has anyone tried automotive clear coat, the kind that protects the paint on
cars and makes them look polished?....(except for GM cars where it falls
off and looks horrible like the paint coming off the interior plastic
parts.)

Larry
--
VIRUS ALERT! VISTA has been released!
NOONE will be spared!

I used to use clear urethane (spray) for polished exterior bronze ...
lasts about 2-3 years.
Just started using the Honey Teak clear top coat (catalyzed
urethane/acrylic) on polished exterior bronze ... looks like it will
last longer than single part clear urethane; but, only time will tell.

In article , Larry
wrote:

"scott" wrote in
:

Either one should help a lot
because any clear coating will make a big difference in the rate the
brass picks up fingerprints and spots from salt spray.

Has anyone tried automotive clear coat, the kind that protects the paint on
cars and makes them look polished?....(except for GM cars where it falls
off and looks horrible like the paint coming off the interior plastic
parts.)

Larry

Gentlemen, thank you. Lots of good ideas here. We will press ahead.

Nyalic? http://www.nyalic.com/

Remember, sooner or later ALL of the lacquer coating will have to be removed
when it is time to repolish and recoat. Krylon and Incralac can be more
easily removed with easily obtained solvents than some theoreticaly more
durable coatings like urathane. The most noticable problem with all brass
coatings is the tarnish and corrosion that after years (or months)
inevitably becomes obvious wherever the coating is cracked or dinged or just
a little bit thinner than the surrounding area.
Scott

"Rich Hampel" wrote in message
I used to use clear urethane (spray) for polished exterior bronze ...
lasts about 2-3 years.
Just started using the Honey Teak clear top coat (catalyzed
urethane/acrylic) on polished exterior bronze ... looks like it will
last longer than single part clear urethane; but, only time will tell.

In article , Larry
wrote:

"scott" wrote in
: